Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Thanks again, for your input. Yes, I actually hope to get to Tasky's today to sit on both the 2011 and 2012(and Sherco). That is a great idea and I should have done this a while ago. They were gone since the 21st till sunday for a race, but now I should get my butt down there on and on those bikes. By the way, what frame does GasGas use for the 125? It sounds like a modified version of the 200-300 frame, but not necessarily a smaller frame like KTM.

The 07 KTM 200xcw is exactly the model and year that I was interested if heading in the KTM direction! So far I have heard that people say that the KTM 200 of 07 and earlier is smaller than the GasGas pre 2012. Are you saying that you felt that your 2011 GasGas was smaller than the 07 KTM 200 xcw? In terms of standover or "reach" while riding? Thanks, again.

I think my 2011 GG 200 is smaller than the 2007 KTM I had. Definately a lower standover height. There wasn't a huge difference in size on the KTM 300 vs the KTM 200 either. I did feel the 200 ktm was a better fit vs the 300 ktm

I don't know much about the GG 125s. I would guess the frame difference is just in the engine cradle and the bike is the same size

Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM

I can assure you that the 07ish KTM 200's are much higher than a Pre-2012 GasGas. My buddies dad had a 05 then and 08 KTM 200. Both were way higher than my 07 GasGas 300. I now have a 2012 GasGas that is probably close or a tad shorter than then those KTM's
Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 PM

In '05, Gasgas went with the smaller configuration. My '05 Gasgas ec300 felt much more compact and was definitely shorter than my '03 ec250. Then, in 2011 or 2012, they raised them back up.

Seat height can be changed easily with lowering links. I think you're on the right track with that new '06 ec200 if its still around. The Kdx in CA is sweet, but I think the Gasgas or ktm 200 would give you a modern bike with all of the nice components stock.

Good luck. Definitely need ride reports after your purchase!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Well, I just learned yesterday at the doctor's office that I have lost a whole inch since my college years. What the heck? I'm only 6 feet and one half inch tall now! I figure it has been the mileage, not so much the years... Weight, 190 without gear. Still, I weighed the same when I rode my brother's modded KDX 200 and that would bury my 2002 GG in the midrange. He put his KDX motor in a KX125 frame. If you can find one of those conversions, consider that real hard, could be a perfect bike for you.

You really need to hang around the closest "real dirt" shop and beg to ride some bikes to see what you like. Try to get with a local club and join them, they'd let you ride their machines. I'd suggest you consider a 250 if they are easier to find, and if you want to tame the power, get a G2 throttle. I was one of the first to spread the praise for those little wonders, they really can soften up the hit of a 250 or 300 two stroke. I wouldn't recommend lowering links, but rather would put a 1/4" spacer in the shock to lower the rear. I've done that on my girls' KX65 with good results.

The older 200 I had was the exact same frame and plastic as the 250/300, whereas the KTM 200 traces it's chassis back to their 125.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Buy the 2006 listed I have one n I love it !
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 PM

That's not bad advice if you can get the right price.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 AM

I might have heard wrong but I thought that we could not test ride new dirt bikes at my local GasGas dealer.

$1500 2004 EC200 is NOT sold!
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...697968461.html
The listing just disappeared. As the most recent posts show, the pre 05 bikes may in fact be a little bigger than the 05-11, but I'm so tired of entering both "GasGas 200" and "Gas Gas 200" in search engines(and skipping international sites) for the last few months. I just need seat time at this point and will get it professionally lowered with a thinner seat rebuild by somebody like Fisher.

Bike Condition/Details
I know you can't trust people over the phone, but the owner had an English accent! That has to account for something, right???
As the ad says, he replaced all the bearings "recently" and serviced the fork. He said he has 4 bikes and just was not using the smaller displacement GasGas enough to keep it. It comes with a skidplate, radiator guards, disc guard, & new tires. The only questionable part is the motor, since he is not the first owner. He is even going to meet me halfway for the pickup which will save me freight.

What do you guys think? I may put in my deposit tomorrow after I visit my GasGas dealer for questions. I know it's a gamble and may potentially require more $$. Thanks, again, for everybody's help.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I might have heard wrong but I thought that we could not test ride new dirt bikes at my local GasGas dealer.

$1500 2004 EC200 is NOT sold!
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...697968461.html
The listing just disappeared. As the most recent posts show, the pre 05 bikes may in fact be a little bigger than the 05-11, but I'm so tired of entering both "GasGas 200" and "Gas Gas 200" in search engines(and skipping international sites) for the last few months. I just need seat time at this point and will get it professionally lowered with a thinner seat rebuild by somebody like Fisher.

Bike Condition/Details
I know you can't trust people over the phone, but the owner had an English accent! That has to account for something, right???
As the ad says, he replaced all the bearings "recently" and serviced the fork. He said he has 4 bikes and just was not using the smaller displacement GasGas enough to keep it. It comes with a skidplate, radiator guards, disc guard, & new tires. The only questionable part is the motor, since he is not the first owner. He is even going to meet me halfway for the pickup which will save me freight.

What do you guys think? I may put in my deposit tomorrow after I visit my GasGas dealer for questions. I know it's a gamble and may potentially require more $$. Thanks, again, for everybody's help.
If you don't buy it, I will. Sharp looking machine, and at the absolute WORST case (speaking from experience) you will invest another $1500 in a complete engine rebuild and all new bearings and tires and other bits (which have to be purchased anyway at some point). At which point you have an effectively brand new motorcycle that will last for many years and everything will be known.

Allow yourself an out if it isn't what you expect when you met the seller. Negotiate if you have to, as you will be at a slight advantage in the negotiating strength department. he obviously wants to sell it if he is willing to meet halfway, so it's in his best interest to be flexible on price.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Ridden and raced all sizes and brands. Learned the most and had most fun on Kawasaki KDX220, Yamaha IT200, KTM 200EXC. ie 200 has the grunt for the hills, not too much power to get you hurt, can pin it like a 125, is smaller frame (lighter) than 250, etc. in most cases (KTM). Easy and inexpensive maintenance. Gobs of parts and knowledge surrounding these bikes. Riding 2011 ec300 now and love it. But, still have the 200exc and still have a blast on it from time to time.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM

If this is your first dirt bike, I'd strongly suggest you shop local and consider going thru a dealer for a used bike. You don't want a project for your first motorcycle. You want to ride, not have someone split the engine and install bearings. Honestly, the longer this thread goes, the more I feel you should find a clean KDX200 locally (GG would be fine too, just harder to find) and get riding. The more you spend on the trails, the more friends you will make and be able to ride other bikes and get other's input on yours. Spending $1500 on an 8 year old dirt bike is not what I'd risk if I was just getting into motorcycling.

Yes, you can only ride new bikes at a dealership after you've purchased it. I should have been more clear - I was referring to used bikes or if it is a small shop run by a dirt enthusiast, the owner might let you ride their own bike. Find a good dealer and be loyal to them, it pays in the long run with perks and discounts. Also join a local club, the sport needs people to help with trails and races. You get to learn so much about bikes and techniques thru a local club.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper