Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Kelowna is Dirtbike Heaven

If you have not been, go. It will not let you down. We rode for three days in perfect tacky sandy loamy soil this last weekend. Every type of woods riding you can imagine is waiting for you in the hills just west of Kelowna BC. I am not joking, the riding was infinately better than anything I have ridden in washington or Oregon.

Paul B

Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I have read other threads over the years that say the same thing about that place. I can only imagine in my mind what riding up there would be like. I am so jealous of you B.C. guys.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 09-24-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Kelowna

I just looked it up It will take me right at 10 hours to get there from Boise. Is there a trail system map? Is there a Gas Gas dealer there? Places to camp? Can you get me the details?
Thanks,
Lee,
Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM

Lee, If you have not found it allready okanogan trail riders has a website with some usefull information, and according to a local will soon have a GPS map posted on their site. I think there is a dealer in the valley somewhere. The area consists of a couple of drainages with traile everywhere. We spent three days plain hauling a$% all over this spring and again last weekend. What is so awesome about this place is that there seems to be no restrictions about staying on the trails etc. I love technical single track, like we have in the PNW, but it is a blast to be able to ride anywhere you want( cross country). Numerous times this last weekend I would look to one side then the other to watch my riding companions blasting along blazing new trails, toatal riding freedom! A GPS might be nice but we camped at what is called the Upper Pits which sits at the bottom of a large steep meadow that is visible from many of the vistas in the area. Camping in that spot made it easy to keep our bearings. I am hesitant to post this info on larger more widely read sites for fear of the secrect getting out, in fact my riding bros would likely be pissed I posted any of this.

Paul B

Daydreaming of the Great soon to be White North
Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 PM

Bear Creek is sick, so is Vernon and Peachland. Penticton (Naramata) is another good spot. Lytton (Fraser Canyon) has the sickest riding spot in the province. Go to the Monkeywrench Cross-country on the July 1st weekend and you'll see what I mean.

www.okanagantrailriders.com
www.okanaganmotorsports.com <- local GasGas dealer

I race in the Okanagan quite often and it really is that sweet. The Kootenays are very good too.

NOTE: Stay on the trails, don't freeride. We have major land issues up here, so don't just cruise through the woods. It is frowned upon up here.

Let me know if any of you guys are coming to the BC interior (Kootenays or Okanagan) and I'll try and meet up with you.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:05 PM

FYI, October 21st there is a race at Peachland (45 min south of Kelowna). The Peachland riding area is similar to Bear Creek (@#$%ing awesome!).
Old 10-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Speedy Maniac, Me and some of the fellas were planning on heading up on Nov 3-4. Do you think that any of the areas you described would still be snow free?

Paul B
Old 10-13-2007, 05:19 PM

You guys are killing this South La. boy!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop posting about nirvana.

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 10-14-2007, 06:56 PM

You might get lucky, but I think up high (where most of the riding areas are) will be getting some snow. Lower bear creek should be excellent, upper bear creek might be a little white. Vernon will have some snow by then for sure. Naramata and Peachland are iffy. Call Valley Moto Sport before you head up to get the local info on conditions.

I'd love to come over and join you guys, but that's the weekend I fly out for the ISDE. Next year you gotta come up for the 3rd weekend in May. We have a double header race that weekend (Squealin' Pig Harescramble in Naramata/Penticton on the Saturday, Ogopogo Cross-Country in Kelowna (Bear Creek) on Sunday).

Bandit9,
Flights aren't that expensive and I'm sure we could find you a bike to ride. Just throwing that out there.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Ummm.......I have been trying to talk some people into going up in June for the Idaho Qualifier, then head up to B.C. for the rest of the trip. Can't find anyone dumb enough around here.

I already have a trip planned for Colorado next summer. If it falls through, I will be taking you up on that offer.

2009 for sure.