Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM

Default EC300 test in April Dirtbike mag

Anyone seen the test yet?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 PM

Angry

I read it yesterday and it made me mad as hell. They loved the motor and liked the bike overall but went way out of their way to paint the bike in as bad a light as they possibly could. They went on and on about the bike being "old school" and updated little each year.
A few pages over they bragged on the 300 KTM as being far and away the best 2stroke made.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
I read it yesterday and it made me mad as hell. They loved the motor and liked the bike overall but went way out of their way to paint the bike in as bad a light as they possibly could. They went on and on about the bike being "old school" and updated little each year.
A few pages over they bragged on the 300 KTM as being far and away the best 2stroke made.
I sent an 08 300xcw-e down the road for the GG.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

Well they are kinda old school but then again so am I so I'll take that as a complement, does'nt make me feel marginalised. Who cares what a bunch of, on the take chumps at dirtrag say, their just protecting their source of free catered lunches and freebee ktm togs.Bye the way I spoke to Cory at the last race and asked him his honest off the record opinion of the bike. He said he really liked it exept that it was setup to soft for an aggresive rider like himself, fair enough coming from a young pro who could ride the pants off of most if not all of those editors.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have not read the test, but I wouldn't get too worked up over a magazine calling a bike old school. For most people, a two stroke is now old school. Fine by me. One of my favorite bikes in the world is about as old school as it gets. The Husky WR 250 has been slowly upgraded over the last two decades. It's a fantastic bike, and yet, that engine shares parts with the 1987 Cagiva it was derived from, right down to the engine cases. It's my opinion, that when you find a good platform and let it evolve over time, you get a more consistent product year to year that people can count on, it won't be a surprise grenade ever, and, while you lose the bold new bike craze that keeps you selling bikes to the vogue crowd, you get loyal customers that spread the word. Free advertising.

When you're a tiny company, that's a better marketing plan than spending cubic dollars reinventing the wheel every year.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

I guess the Porsche 911 would also be old school according to dirtrider. Funny how this car who's forbearers was a lowly late 30's Volkswagan is still the competitive even with that engine in the back like the extinct corvair and beetle, what are they thinking.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM

I stopped reading the dirtrags years ago when i had my first ride on a gasser, because i read an article back in '98 that said the gasser was a slow turning, bid feeling,slow reving, european bike, that would be ok for a beginner,but just didn't compare to the jap bikes. What a crock of s*#t that was, and ever since then i dont think they know what they are talking about, or they just give reviews to the people who pay them the most for good reviews.
If you have to read a mag, read ADB, they love the gasser and have for many years, and never have anything bad to say about it.
I'll have to do some digging around, but they did a report on the 515 and they really liked it.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM

I have a subscription to DirtBike because they have the best off-road coverage of any major US magazine. One thing that I thought was funny was comparing the DB 300 report to one that was in DirtRider a few months back. DirtRider claimed the suspension was too stiff, while DB claimed it was too soft?

The more I read the magazine the more obvious it is that the reports are skewed by the manufacturer. They HAVE to be getting some kickbacks. Either that or they are afraid the manufacturers will pull their ads.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM

Ok my 2 cents and I've never been bias because I owned it. We had an 07 300xcw and an 08 xcwe. Now there are 3 GG in the stable. 06 200 ,06 300 , 08 300. The 07 KTM was a nice bike and chassis after we did suspension mods . It felt more narrow than the 08 KTM . The tank on the 08 KTM's are allot wider than the GG are. The motor on the 07 was very finicky on jetting ,never satisfied. The 08 stock motor was way easier to jet and was not fussy. The 06 GG 300 DE has the best motor I've ever been around. Very nice bottom and mid range. A little shy on top. The chassis on all 3 GG are hands down better and more confidence inspiring . KTMs have better quality fit to detail parts.
As far as "old school" on the GG. Perimeter frame still hasn't really made it to KTM. How about that "LINKAGE " humm ??? How about that 6 speed ??? GG brakes never need bled. KTMs all the time and I've had 7. 85,88,02,05,07,and 2 08's. The brakes always need bled after extended periods of storage.
More aftermarket accessories for KTM period. Mostly bling though. KTM will have to , not over heat easy,go to a 6spd, fix the suspension for us old guys before I look at them again. Until now we are very pleased with GG for what we do.High speed trail ride and my son occasional enduro race.JMHO
Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

It makes me feel even better when I beat those guys riding those far superior orange machines straight up after reading these story's year after year.

Man I must be talented to take em on my old school out dated technology.

Wow I'm starting to get a big head.

Just the same old Magazine propaganda.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!