Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Default 2010 EC250 4T Aftermarket Exhaust Compatibility

When I first saw that the new EC250 4T would have a Yamaha engine I was a little disappointed that it wasn't going to be a unique design but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the Yamaha engine.

We don't have a Gas Gas dealer anywhere nearby (<300 miles) but we do have several Yamaha dealers nearby to support, if needed. Then there is always the doubt that the first year design is fully developed. (I think it took KTM 4 years to produce 'good' low-end torque on its 250 4t?)

Anyway, I would like to know from Gas Gas, or someone in the know, if the aftermarket engine parts, like exhaust/exhaust headers, are fully interchangeable between the WR250 and the EC250? It would be huge plus for me to be able to tap into the aftermarket parts selection for the WR.

I've got the green light for a new bike, trying to decide now between a 250XC, EC300, and EC250 4T. Would love to go GG this time around. I just hope GG keeps the prices reasonable.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Site Sponsor

As soon as we get the first FSR250s one will get sent to FMF and Pro Circuit so they can build some spark arrestor type mufflers.

They demo model we had here in the states the muffler was a prototype. We actually built it ourselves with parts from FMF as the unit that was sent with the bike had no internals at all and was for "photographic purposes only."

The European models will come with the GasGas performace brand called "REVERSE" and it will meet European sound standards, of 94db I believe, but without SA status.

The FSR250 we rode didn't need a whole lot of help in the performance area other than some help with jetting to eliminate off idle bogging.

We used a JD jetting kit and blocked off the "leak jet." If we would've had the time, as we had to ship the bike back to Spain, we probably would've looked into trying an engine side carb "divider plate" as well.

For performance modifications I would go to ThumperTalk.com and look into2006 Yamaha WR250f engine and carb mods. The most obvious ones would be accelerator pump modifications and to go with the stock YZ250f valve timing if you want more aggressive power.

Myself I would go with the JD jetting kit, divider plate and accelerator pump mod and leave the timing alone.

I would also most likely play with the final gearing a little as well as the five speed gear box, even with wide ratio gearing, could most likely be changed to meet your style of riding better.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the good information.

It sounds as though the mounting points will require unique parts from the WR.. and engine internals are the same, which is no surprise.

I have to ask - REVERSE?? as a name for a performance brand? reverse is something you do when you can't make it up a hill or get stuck. Did something get lost in translation? were MISSED SHIFT and ANCHOR already taken??
Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Site Sponsor

As far as the name "Reverse" goes chalk it up to another Spanish phrase that doesn't fit so nice into the English speaking world.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist