Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Can stiffer springs ride as soft as lighter ones?

Can a bike with stiffer springs be as soft or plush as a bike with lighter springs?

I have an '05 DE 300, and the suspension works well for my intended use. But the stock springs front and rear are both one step too light/soft for my weight. I don't want to go up to the "correct" springs and lose compliance over roots & rocks in the tight singletrack.

Jeff

Old 01-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

It depends where the bike is riding in the stroke at the moment, and how much preload is on the current springs.

Generally the point in going up in rate is to allow less preload, more support over all, but most importantly to get the bike sitting up in the stroke allowing it to have more available travel ready to use.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:22 PM

What are your static and race sag settings?
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 02-01-2015, 09:50 AM

If it ant broken DONT TRY TO FIX IT

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 02-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
Can a bike with stiffer springs be as soft or plush as a bike with lighter springs? Jeff
yes.
the heavier springs mean you don't just blow thru the initial travel so you basically get to 'use' that initial travel. I have seen this happen on a buddies GG and all he did was add new springs and it was a lot smoother on the initial stroke
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 02-01-2015, 07:34 PM

Thanks guys, this is making sense to me.

Extra preload on a soft spring compresses and stiffens it up, and bypasses the first "softer" part of the spring's compression.

Not enough preload and a too-soft spring, and you have "sagged" or dropped through the first part of the stroke toward the firmer part of the stroke before you even hit an obstacle.

So said another way, with the "correct" or firmer spring, you don't have to add extra preload and the bike will ride further up in the stroke, where the more compliant part of the spring's compression will occur. Therefore, depending upon the rider's weight, a firmer spring can be just as compliant as a softer spring.

!!! I think
Old 02-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
Thanks guys, this is making sense to me.

Extra preload on a soft spring compresses and stiffens it up, and bypasses the first "softer" part of the spring's compression.

Not enough preload and a too-soft spring, and you have "sagged" or dropped through the first part of the stroke toward the firmer part of the stroke before you even hit an obstacle.

So said another way, with the "correct" or firmer spring, you don't have to add extra preload and the bike will ride further up in the stroke, where the more compliant part of the spring's compression will occur. Therefore, depending upon the rider's weight, a firmer spring can be just as compliant as a softer spring.

!!! I think
Spot on.