Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

Wink

Grinch. Are you on some kind of meds that we should be aware of? You've been offered up the simplest and cheap'st alternitives and your talking putting in a complete different engine.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:50 AM

Meds, no... love building custom bikes, yes.... the simplest and cheapest alternatives do not solve my problem, unless I've missed something. I've got a full fab shop so installing a new motor is not a big deal and finding one is even easier. My wife not being able to start the bike is, however, a big deal.

The sawzall is my friend...
Old 07-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Reading this thread from start to finish Ive come to this conclusion, that the bike is to hard to start for your wife, correct? You want to make it easy'ier for her to start, correct? You were offered up at least three simple effective solutions to remedy the problem as well as a link to detailed information on how to do so, correct? So you claim that you like to fabricate and build things and that you have access to the equiptment to do so and have the competince to do so , correct? You question wheather you'r missing something , CORRECT!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 AM

At the risk of the newb pissing off the old guys, could you please refer to the three points that I missed which would enable this bike to kick easier?

This? Its hard to kick because it has tons of compession 180 to 200 psi ,which is what is required on a trials engine to in part give them their fat & flat torque characteristics, think diesel . I can't say that in this case I agree on Glenn's method of lowering compression .This being a trials engine I would be more inclined to have the head modified instead or you could retard the static timing a bit but it will run a bit hotter if you go that route. Failing the above you could have the little woman eat at Rotton Ronny's three times a day for the next few months.

This? Go to the tech articles section at the top of the page and see, head squish mod from RBD.

This is a possibility you may be able to use the longer Yamaha kickstarter and that would help a lot. Not sure if it fits the Pampera engine though. take yours off and take it to a Yamaha parts dealer and compare. The part number can be found from the main GGRC page, "parts crossover" link. Can't help with the pipe. No way to install any type compression release on these engines either.

This? The base gasket trick is not the best but good for an experiment to see about where you need to be for compresison before cutting the head.

I appreciate the help and realize that I got myself into this but I ahve heard a lot about what WON'T help... alrthough the Rotten Ronnies might do the trick.

PLease don't read into this post as whining which is easy to do on these forums. I'm just looking for solutions and have not seen any. New pistona nd head? I can handle. Head work that does not cause the bike to run hot? Easy. Spacers that do not take away already low power? OK too. Istall a motor form a GG or Yamaha 250? Ok again.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned

Grinch. Lowering the compression by only 20 lbs via a very simple and quick head mod and retarding the static timing half a mm will yield dramatic results in your wifes ability to kick over the engine without loosing any noticable power at all or even changing the essence of the engines designe characteristics.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Very well then, that is exactly what I will pursue. Thank you all for the help.

-tom
Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 PM

I just had a thought.. could the ridiculously difficult kick and total lack of power mean that someone jacked the timing AHEAD to far at some point? I'm going to dig in and see what I can see now.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:07 AM

I think the CRF230 engine is the best solution. Sell the bike and get a CRF230 - she'll love the electric start and fuel range.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 AM

The CRF 230 weighs about 270 pounds and has lower quality parts than the Pampera, drum brakes, etc. I was talking about a motor transplant.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 AM

That is not a good solution and likely well beyond your(and most) scope to do correctly anyway. Plus, the Pampera chassis is not the greatest platform, rather fragile as it uses a lot of trials components. Its not in the same league as an EC as far as durability. For that matter, the CRF230 is more durable despite the old school hardware. I destroyed the Pampera's rear brakes just riding with my kids. The trials motor IS flat at mid to higher revs as its tuned for low end. Its less versatile than your typical 2-stroke and it has no PV. Thats life. Its a good bike for a casual rider if you understand its limitations. Its ridden best off the bottom where the power is strong. They are also geared a little tall as they are street legal in Europe. If you keep the bike, add a few base gaskets till she can start it, take a comp measurement and have the head done properly using one gasket. This should also reduce the need for higher octane fuel if that is an issue(it can be in trials motors). You could also get a nice 200 and have it lowered.