Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Golden Spectro

I've been using mobile 1 2t but it's gone now. So I decided to try something else. Went with some spectro full synth as thats what every shop around here has. nothing new there same old same old. On a lark I Bought some golden spectro ... mostly because of the old school looking bottle and les said thats all he ever runs. Damned if the bike did not seem to run the best it has this year!! Don't know if maybe the temps, 70's, had the jetting spot on or if the oil had something to do with it?? Anyone run this stuff?? After I burn through my left over m1 2t and that spetro synth, I'm going to have to give this stuff a long term test!! I did notice that the bike was getting tough to kick over when it was warm .. like it might be fouling the plug. I backed out the air screw some and it fired on the second kick after that. I think I've also read that it can gunk up power valve. we'll see I guess.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 AM

That stuff is very old, like from the early '70s. We ran it in old Suzuki TMs. If it was changed I can not say, but I suspect you can do better. It does not burn as clean as a modern synthetic. Just call Amsoil and get a gallon of Dominator racing oil delivered to your door, why drive looking for oil? All I ever used in GGs, even the 125 looks mint when I take it apart.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 AM

Default Golden Spectro

Golden Spectro has been around since the early 70's and I did use it on my TMs. It is still around for a reason, it works well. I prefer the full synthetic Spectro, unfortunately finding it is hit or miss. Spectro needs to get the full synthetic more readily available. That said, Golden Spectro works very well or it would have been long gone by now.
I'll try Amsoil when I can buy it commercially, the fact that it is not sold at dealerships or from online suppliers is suspicious, if it's so great it would be readily available.
How dirty could Golden Spectro be, it was run at 20:1 back in the day and it did not carbon up, powervalves need an occasional cleaning anyway. I have used it coming up on 40 years and have yet to have an oil related problem.
JMHO
Trailrider
1973 TM125
1975 TM100
1975 TM125
1978 RM250C2
1998 EC250
2001 XC300
Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Amsoil

The reason dealerships don't stock it is because of how the Amsoil dealer network works. Amsoil uses a multi-layer dealer network consisting of individuals who pay a fee to be a dealer, and then as a dealer, generally sells to individual members of the public. Some shops will stock it; the shop owner can be a dealer, and then sell it to his customers.

Full disclosure: I am a 'dealer." It costs $30 per year, and i easily make that up in the difference between retail and my cost. You can also be a preferred customer for $20, and you don't get the newsletter.

Is the stuff good? For a work project, we had to use some 4500 watt yamaha generators. We put 4000 hours on those generators running at 3600 RPM with only eight oil changes. Those generators didn't have an oil filter. 4000 hours at 3600 RPM is something like 240,000 miles in a car. Would you go 30,000 miles on an oil change in your car? These generators went that far, and they use NO oil between changes. They start first spin, and were run in Minnesota winters and California high desert summers.

I fully expected the generators to be toast at the end of the project. They run like they are new.

I am sold on the stuff. It's all i use in any of my vehicles.

blitz
Old 08-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Amsoil

I'm not saying it is not a good oil, just that if they were serious they would not use a multilevel marketing model to sell their product. It's great that you are a dealer, I just don't have time to track down a dealer with so many other good oils on the market. I've used Mobil and Castrol but they keep changing or dropping their product, 2-stroke oil is a very minor part of their business. As I mentioned, I like the pure synthetic Spectro and even it is hard to find on a consistent basis. If I could order Amsoil from the same companies I buy my other bike parts from I would give it a try. When Amsoil is on the shelf or in the catalogs with all the other oils then we're talking.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:50 PM

With hectic during the week schedules, I find it difficult to go out to a shop for oil (and parts sometimes) so ordering online is a good thing. Plus, I always buy a gallon or two at a time and I'm good for awhile. While GS is not bad, it certainly is not the among the best like the top grade synthetics. When that oil was developed 2-strokes were air cooled and didn't even have power valves. Compared to the Castrol R and Blendzall castors at the time it was really clean. Times change. Amsoil may be no better than Motul, Maxima K27, Mobil 1 MX2t, etc, but its at least as good and easier to get in bulk at a fair price.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM

I buy Dominator at my local Hardware Hank.
I've also seen Amzoil products at Red Rooster and O'reilly auto parts, probably others...
For me it's a LOT easier to come by than most of the other brands mentioned.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 PM

I've been using Torco GP7 and it seems to work fine but i'm almost at the bottom of my gallon jug so I was checking out the Royal Purple web site looking for fluids my my vehicles and noticed they make oil for motorcycles and so out of curiosity I purchased 2 quarts of 2-cycle TCW III Racing synthetic 2-cycle racing oil to try out.
I am a beleiver in their products They Work.
I use to run nothing but Golden Spectro for years in my 82 PE175 and my 90 RMX250 and had no problems but I agree with others that there are far superior oils on the market now.
I'll try to give update on RP oil when I fill up and go for a ride.

Ron
Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
With hectic during the week schedules, I find it difficult to go out to a shop for oil (and parts sometimes) so ordering online is a good thing. Plus, I always buy a gallon or two at a time and I'm good for awhile. While GS is not bad, it certainly is not the among the best like the top grade synthetics. When that oil was developed 2-strokes were air cooled and didn't even have power valves. Compared to the Castrol R and Blendzall castors at the time it was really clean. Times change. Amsoil may be no better than Motul, Maxima K27, Mobil 1 MX2t, etc, but its at least as good and easier to get in bulk at a fair price.

I second what Glenn wrote.

I used GS back in the air cooled days.

I now use AmsOil Interceptor and have had very little top end wear. As a data point, in 49 hours of use on my '06 EC300 the ring end gap went from 0.017" to 0.018”. Compression went from 190 psi to 188 psi.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Do not be weary of golden spectro synthetic it is quality oil and it works period.
I have throughly tested it since I was a kid and that is all I still use at 39 years young.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!