Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 AM

Default Smoked Clutch??

I bought an '01 EC200 a few months ago that needed a little TLC. It runs great and seems to be very strong. I've had it out a few times just chasing the kids around and such. The last time out I was running it pretty hard (for me) and I pretty much lost all action in the clutch. Meaning, the only clutch action I was getting was /is in the last 25% of the lever throw. I brought it home and let it cool and tried bleeding the clutch. Didn't seem to help. I have no idea what tranny oil is in it. Figured I'd just tear it apart and check things out with the plates and such.
Anyone got any tips or links on what I should be looking for? If you haven't figured it out yet...I'm very new at this but I enjoy doin my own wrenching so any help will be very much appreciated.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:51 PM

Sounds like you might have some clutch drag. Try using a 0W-40 oil and see if it helps at all.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Look closely at the master cylinder and lever. When you pull the lever does it almost instantly start pushing the mc piston? Is there too much clearance between the lever and mc piston? Is the adjuster screw missing from the lever? There is also a push-pin between the adjuster screw and mc piston, the dust-boot holds it in place. Is it installed? If the adjuster comes loose that pin can fall out.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Gonna try the 0w-40 first and see if it helps.

The adjustment on the lever is all there. I'll check to see if the pin is there under the boot. I do know that as soon as I move the lever when bleeding, fluid instantly begins to come out the zirk. This would lead me to believe the lever, piston parts are working properly. Everything was working fine til it all started getting hot/ rode hard so maybe it's just the oil (fingers crossed). Will see if I can get some more info for you all.

Thanks a lot...will keep you posted.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:47 PM

Alright...I drained the oil, which had a few streaks of grey in it(like it's had water in it). I then pulled the clutch cover and adjusted the lever so it was all the way out( action right from the first movement). When I pull the lever, the outside plate moves right at 3/64". Nothing else moves but the outside cover plate and the first clutch plate. Does that sound right? I checked all the plates and they all look good ie, no warpage didn't smell scorched or anything. It just seems to me that there's not enough "throw". I put the bike in gear, pull the clutch and nothing. I still can't push the bike around or anything. Should I just bolt it back up and fill it with some new 0W-40 and ride it or what?

I measured a couple of the plates and they were .110 and .1095. I have no idea what new ones are.

Thanks.

Last edited by Hapnin; 09-14-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 AM

When I pull the clutch in and try and osuh the back in gear, it doesn't happen for me either. Mine's all adjusted up right. I'm running what I think is Bel-Ray Gear Saver, it says SAE 80W on the front of the bottle.

Mine has good action though so I dont know

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires