Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Default New bike prep

Hey guys,
I got a new bike (09 EC250 Racing, sold the 07) and am getting it set up for the season. I've made a list of things to do, and have a couple questions. Also, I still feel like I'm forgetting something. If you can think of anything let me know.

Here's the list of things done so far:
-removed signal lights and horn
-lock tite/anti seize all bolts (especially triple clamp pinch bolts)
-fill axles, swingarm pivot and steering head shaft with silicon to prevent corrosion/filling with dirt
-install skid plate and rad guards
-install steering damper, flexx bars, bark busters,
-bike is currently away getting a custom pipe cage built

Here's the list of things that will be done when I get the bike back:
-grease linkage, swingarm and steering head bearings
-grease rear brake pedal and kickstart pivots
-install grease fittings on linkage, swingarm, rear brake pedal and kickstarter (should I? I had them on my 01 EC200 and didn't have them on my 07 EC250. Will I damage the seals?)
-flip footpeg pins
-jetting?!? Does the JD jetting kit work for the new short body carb?
-remove dual sport switch and install regular kill switch and headlight switch
-change oil
-change coolant
-put on some real tires with mousses in them

So, anyone know if the JD jetting kit works on the new short body carb? Also, see anything I'm forgetting before I go get this bike dirty?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Awesome on the 09, bleed the brakes front and rear and I think your done.

Roost on.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM

as far as grease zerks on the linkage ... I don't really know but ... on my drz anything with a zerk had a groove machined in it. this was I assume to allow a passage for grease to get all the way around the bearing. I don't believe any such groove would be in the any of the gasser linkage. This would make me wonder how well the grease would move around. I know that on some of the linkage there is a space between the roller bearings. If you inject grease into that area is there enough slop for the grease to penetrate the bearings?? Or is it too tight and it will just pack the gap?? I have done the linkage and swing arm on my 06 several times and find that the o rings seem to do a very good job at keeping things clean. last year was very wet and muddy and when i pulled the linkage off, the grease in that gap between the roller bearing was pefectly clean. Zerks probably wouldn't hurt but I keep an eye on things and make sure the grease was getting all the way around the bearing. My husky has zerks onthe linkage. My drz had them on the swing arm and linkage
Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Way to go on the 09 250. Sounds like you have it covered. Happy Trails!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 03-04-2010, 12:20 AM

The gasser has from the factory excellent coverage of grease on the susp linkages, headstem and rear brake i checked my gasser 450 08 from new and it was a wasted of my time, after 18months i did the full strip down and the only area that required to be greased was the head stem, even the linkages where ok, but i still cleaned them.i had 8000kms on the clock, Unless you like regreasing those parts you can leave then until the season is over and you will have no problems IMO.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Steve,

Sounds like your got things under control. If you get a chance post up some pics of your new guard please.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 AM

If you really want to overdo it, you can pull the wheel bearings, peel off the seals and fill the bearings with grease (be sure to reinstall the seals).

I was amazed the first time i did this how little grease is in new sealed bearings.

Even if you don't do it now, be sure to do it when you replace those bearings in the future.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
If you really want to overdo it, you can pull the wheel bearings, peel off the seals and fill the bearings with grease (be sure to reinstall the seals).

I was amazed the first time i did this how little grease is in new sealed bearings.

Even if you don't do it now, be sure to do it when you replace those bearings in the future.
I did this. Probably at your prompting.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post

i do this on all bearings. only takes a few seconds to properly pack bearings. rarely have i opened one up and it's actualy greased...
Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Ditto on pics of the cage. That's on my to do list.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website