Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Default Meanwhile, in the western NC mtns...

Yesterday, a bud and I got together to try and go up into whats a locals play ground for offroad. Basically about the only area thats survived the forest service closing it down, like the very nearby Tellico RV area(we're just over the state line in NC). Theres private land, plus Indian res lands there.

Anyways, no signs or anything. Just gotta know where the chit goes. We met at the end of the pavement down low at 2200' altitude. I trucked my 05 Gasser 450. He rode over from the old Tellico RV area where he grew up riding at.

After trying to go up one way thats was supposed to be the easier way to the top, we were soon stopped by a huge deadfall. So we went to plan B, and went up (we planned to come down it instead) whats considered the toughest in the area, by the locals. Called Squally Creek. Onward. This ain't so tough..

As we climbed, it quickly deteriorated into a steep wet slick rocky techy climb. One where if you stopped, you instantly was stuck. Can't forget we're in the mtns and its barely March. Everything's wet, frozen (slick arse freeze thaw up higher), boulders, with water flowing down the old road bed in many places. This was one of the few tamer areas where we could stop for break.Hard to get pics of the hard stuff, since we're too busy not-crashing.

Same spot as above pic. Looking back down from where we came.

One spot, as my bike was seemingly hopelessly stuck between 2 mud-slick boulders..the chain was hitting one of the rocks, and thru my chain(as the bike was still wedged). Luckily, we managed to roll the bike backward and got the chain back on(I had no axle tools). This is from just above spot, as Wayne came hiking back down, from Scouting the next section. We're not quite sure exactly where we are. Altho his GPS said were at the NC/Tenn line, below the Cherohala skyway.

At the top of Squally, theres an area the locals call the "play ground", which is where the old road became impassable yrs ago, and now one has to bushwack up the mtn via any number of hopeless steep slick routes. We almost didn't make it up this. My bike has showroom gearing, plus its 1st gear is "MX tall"-ish, so it was a handful. We're fighting my bike atm.. Thats an old dog box in the middle of pic. I dunno..

Were getting up there.. But its also getting later in the day. We packed for the possibility of getting lost. Food, water and filter, lightweight tarp, fire, flash lights, extra layers, para cord, etc. Cause ya never know...

Onward tho! This is STFU the fall-line. Momentum was the only way. All the while trying not to pinch flat, overheat, stall, fall, fry a clutch whatever.
This is all slick arse mud. That was hard to walk up, leave alone ride up. Momentum...

More to come..

Last edited by broken rider; 03-07-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 AM

Looking down where we just came up.

Told by a local, when you see some buried car tires, your at the top of Squally. At least we knew then, we were on the right track.

Not out yet tho. Wayne up on upper left, scouting that big arse rock.

finally, at 5300', we came out here behind this cabin. Thank you Jesus!

We had to ride around a forest service gate at the top at 5500', and then back down the Skyway. 55 miles, 5.5hrs, 3300' of climbing. Great ride with some doubt along the way that we'd make it out. The end.

Last edited by broken rider; 03-07-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Default Meanwhile, in the western NC mtns...

I love tellico. Used to ride my jeep up there. Is that the old OHV? Looks like "upper 2"

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife

Last edited by hadfield4wd; 03-07-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:27 PM

Awesome write-up. Love all the pics!

Old 03-08-2016, 05:11 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Great ride report BR. You gotta funny way of doing post injury PT

You'll be hell when you're well!!

I rode that, (we came out on the Skyway up near the Tn/NC line, so I assume it was the same trail), last fall on my Orange 450. It was a handful. I'm looking forward to trying it this year on my XC 200.

Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to getting back to that area.

RB
Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
I love tellico. Used to ride my jeep up there. Is that the old OHV? Looks like "upper 2"
No, but its relatively close as the crow flies. Basically on the other side of the mtn and on the NC side. This is where you come out past those 2-3 cabins at the top and near the Skyway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Great ride report BR. You gotta funny way of doing post injury PT

You'll be hell when you're well!!

I rode that, (we came out on the Skyway up near the Tn/NC line, so I assume it was the same trail), last fall on my Orange 450. It was a handful. I'm looking forward to trying it this year on my XC 200.

Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to getting back to that area.

RB
Gotta be the same route. No other way up there to the state line that I know of. You come out about 1/2 mile from it (again, as the crow flies), being next to the Hooper bald parking lot.

And thanks. My PT will be taking literally yrs, and will always have some issues..but I'm blessed to just still be able to ride. I was also trying not to get hurt..I've got bad knees from my MX days in the 70s and 80s. No ACL in one of them right now.

I try to hike, or mtb daily(or at least ride the trainer), and I was working damn hard (I had to focus on breathing and riding efficiently, as my heart rate was way up there). keeping the bike up and going thru those long wet slick moss-covered rock gardens. The bike did awesome tho, sans the slightly tall-ish first gear in the really slow stuff.

I do think I might need to slow it down some.. altho I've been "riding" (I've been race'n xc mtbs since 02 until my injuries, and still been riding the supermoto) up till now...But before getting this bike, I haven't been on a good dedicated dirt bike in 25+yrs. So I know I'm pretty rusty.

Last edited by broken rider; 03-08-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM

Thanks for posting! that looks like a fun ride.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 PM

Today I rode another area only 20 minutes from the house. A huge wilderness area, with a 27 mile long dirt road cutting thru it, and up and over a 4000' ridge line toward the next town. Covered up with countless old jeep trails, cabins, seasonal deer camps, log'n operations, privater land, Indian res lands, forest service, etc. Some 4x4 stuff go'n a long ways and connecting to other back country areas.

Some pics of today as I explored the area for about 4 hours.

Been mtbing as well as riding the motard in here. Even after today, I've only scratched the surface for whats here. The 450 felt good, being able to let it stretch its legs a little.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:38 AM

That looks like a really good time.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I've got a couple guys that live near me in NC , both good riders, who are into the backcountry dual sport stuff. We need to hook up with you, I think you'll be able to show us stuff that we haven't found yet.

RB