GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Dirt Dud's Avatar
Dirt Dud Dirt Dud is offline
Platinum Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Easton Pa
Posts: 690
Default Dirt Bike Clubs

So I joined High Mountain Dirt Bike Club . If you do not belong to a dirt bike club that puts on an enduro / hare scramble wake up and find a good club and join it . I took my CFO / 34 year partner with me since there is a Farmers Market nearby (only open wensday) And the first thing she said is look at how old the club was !!!! I thought I was at church ! But the guys for the most part are not fat or sloppy looking . I belonged to another Hillclimb but mostly road bike club with bylaws up the ass . They debated for 3 months on the color of the T shirts and would take LOTS of time to figure out who should be the next President ! TRUMP /CLINTON type of deal . Not these guys the main focus is do they have enough money to have a party and when and were is that party going to be . They passed an amendment to radically change the bylaws purchase club riding jerseys and pit shirts without agreement on the COLOR . They are for the most part in shape and interested in RIDING in the DIRT . I believe you need to at least consider getting involved with a club cause life is to short .


__________________
IF I HAD ALL THE MONEY I SPENT ON DIRT BIKES , I WOULD SPEND IT ON DIRT BIKES
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 PM
Rod Overstreet Rod Overstreet is offline
Platinum Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 862
Default

I agree 100% Anyone who thinks putting on an event, has never done it!

My latest endeavor (like I don't have enough on my plate) is running for D-10 Congressman for AMA, which I won. Kinda figure its my obligation to give something back, plus the riders in my home state of KY need a voice.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2016, 06:12 AM
Wimpy525 Wimpy525 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Catawissa Pa
Posts: 394
Default

HMDR is a great club! I hope their club can grow enough to put on the Shotgun Enduro again, they had a good thing going and the event was improving every year. Shotgun was an awesome event.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 AM
hadfield4wd hadfield4wd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 858
Default

I'm still a little "put-off" by clubs. I was pretty heavily involved in 4 wheeling and rock crawling. An officer of clubs and working on trail projects to keep trail open etc etc.

Turns out one club completely screwed up and got a place shut down. Stupid bickering.

I just got tired of the BS involved. I was into the more extreme riding than others. They wanted to ride around on dirt roads once or twice a month and have a "meeting" which consisted of the same person rambling on about nothing and beer.

However if I wanted to put on an event it can't be done without a lot of people involved. I wish I could find one locally. But the ones I have been involved in have not been that great. More talk than walk. Even tried to get a dual sport one together last year, but couldn't get much interest.

Well now when I want to go riding a call a couple friends and we go. No fuss. We all are very comfortable with each other and our riding.

If one started up here locally I would be involved. We had a local place almost get shut down due to pressure from neighbors, and the community rallied around the property owner. The ruling was no expansion, but they can keep what they have. Lots of racers here, harescrambles and such and also big BMW dual sports but not that many who like to do the harder stuff I do on my DS. Not many trail riders that I've come across.
__________________
Matt

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2016, 05:09 PM
SS109's Avatar
SS109 SS109 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 588
Default

I agree! Get involved! Without the power of a club trying to save riding areas is pretty much impossible. Even then it is better to have a coalition of clubs/groups.

Different types of riders have to put their differences aside and work together. My club, Trail riders of Southern AZ (TRS), works this way. We have MX, singletrack, dualsport, extreme to fire roads only type riders. We have learned this is what it takes. We have partnered, and worked with, a local MTB club (TORCA) as well.

The biggest issue we have seen is getting the younger people involved. Our youngest current member is in his 30's with most of us in our 40's and 50's. I think it's important for us older riders to teach or children, and other younger riders, how important belonging to a club is. How to do that? I just don't know. If anyone has some proven methods, or even just ideas, let me know. Seriously.
__________________
Trail Riders of Southern AZ club
Tucson Dirt Bike Trail Riders Meetup Group
AZ State Parks OHV Ambassador
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2016, 06:17 PM
3beejay3 3beejay3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I agree! Get involved! Without the power of a club trying to save riding areas is pretty much impossible. Even then it is better to have a coalition of clubs/groups.

Different types of riders have to put their differences aside and work together. My club, Trail riders of Southern AZ (TRS), works this way. We have MX, singletrack, dualsport, extreme to fire roads only type riders. We have learned this is what it takes. We have partnered, and worked with, a local MTB club (TORCA) as well.

The biggest issue we have seen is getting the younger people involved. Our youngest current member is in his 30's with most of us in our 40's and 50's. I think it's important for us older riders to teach or children, and other younger riders, how important belonging to a club is. How to do that? I just don't know. If anyone has some proven methods, or even just ideas, let me know. Seriously.
Agreed, a coalition of groups works much better. Our Provincial Federation has been building relationships with other motorized groups such as ATV and trucks as well as snowmobiles. We are also building relationships with non-motorized groups as well, such as horseback, MTB, hiking etc. It works by working together and finding ways to help each group get their needs met and maybe even some of their wants. Each group recognizes that the problem users don't represent any one group as a whole & that problem users only represent a small percentage of any given group.
Additionally we are making good headway at working with municipal and provincial gov't bodies as well as Policing. They are starting to take the groups much more seriously than they used to and are actually starting to use us as a resource.

The best way to teach kids about the benefits of clubs is to invite them out and show them. It may not sink in right away, but the seed will be planted. The kids that grow up in that atmosphere will gravitate back when they're adults on their own. Additionally, if you build a good trail network, younger folks will start to appear out of the woodwork, at least that's what we're starting to see.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Mick Mick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Caldwell, Idaho
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
I'm still a little "put-off" by clubs.
I used to belong to 3 at one time. While I do agree there are strength in numbers, and yeah I have met some great people in the club(s).

It was turning my stress relief [riding] into my stress. That is no bueno...so I quit the clubs. I deal with BS all week at work....don't want to deal with it on my down time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
My club, Trail riders of Southern AZ (TRS).
Thought TRS stood for Todd's Race Slaves?
__________________
2017 Beta 300RR
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 AM
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
VxZeroKnots VxZeroKnots is offline
Gold Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 358
Default

Funny how it differs regionally, we dont really have clubs in CO but we do have advocacy groups.

There is a local club but i stopped being a member when i started to realize my dues werent going to keep trails open or putting on races. Not that what they do is bad, its just not for me.

If there was a race club or one that did regular trail advocacy id join in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2016, 10:28 AM
3beejay3 3beejay3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Funny how it differs regionally, we dont really have clubs in CO but we do have advocacy groups.

There is a local club but i stopped being a member when i started to realize my dues werent going to keep trails open or putting on races. Not that what they do is bad, its just not for me.

If there was a race club or one that did regular trail advocacy id join in a heartbeat.
Perhaps consider starting one?

We've started 2 new clubs in Ontario this year just by asking people if they want a club in their area. Took some time spreading the word and gathering names of interested people, then pulled the trigger.
Classic case of 'if you build it they will come'
Once the process was started, people started coming out of the woodwork at much higher than expected numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-23-2016, 10:20 PM
jan_b jan_b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brampton, ON Canada
Posts: 60
Default

Which clubs where the ones started in Ontario? I'm currently with SteelCityRiders pretty good club. Just curious about the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
Perhaps consider starting one?

We've started 2 new clubs in Ontario this year just by asking people if they want a club in their area. Took some time spreading the word and gathering names of interested people, then pulled the trigger.
Classic case of 'if you build it they will come'
Once the process was started, people started coming out of the woodwork at much higher than expected numbers.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP - Looking for AZ OHV Clubs! SS109 Western United States 0 01-29-2016 11:50 AM
Dirt Bike Gas Gas 300 Article 95jersey General Discussions & Announcements 1 04-22-2015 01:08 PM
Non dirt bike, but....... gasgasman Pictures & Videos 5 11-15-2013 06:30 PM
Dirt Bike Gas Gas article Clay General Discussions & Announcements 90 04-14-2013 07:04 PM
Dirt bike trailer?? desertgasser300 Enduro Product Reviews 2 08-10-2012 08:44 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org