Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Default 2013 300 ES = Amazing

I just recently picked up a 2013 300es fresh off the boat. I didnt want a electric start but also couldnt wait any longer. Being the bike arrived soo early I figured i would just ride it stock and shake it down to get a feel for what modifications I would need to do to it.

In the last 7 years I have owned (4) 300 gas gas's. (and about a dozen other bikes as well) My last 300 was a 2010 with Ohlin's TTx front and rear, a RB head, and RB Carb. I also run flexx bars and few other tricks. My 10' was by far my best motorcylce to date. Just recently i had got the itch to get a 13' I liked some of the changes from 12 to 13 and in speaking with Johnny Maier it sounded like Gas Gas didn't ruin what I have always liked about the bikes (the engine and the handling).

I recieved the bike last wednesday and bolted it together stock. I just wanted to ride it with no modifications to get an idea of where I needed to go with it. In the past I would not even ride the bikes. The head, carb, suspension, and radiators would come off immediately for modification.

My first ride was right before dark at my personal trail. The trail consists of basically 2 miles of tight, rocky, rutted crap with the occasional 2' log thrown in here and there. No suspension adjustment, only jetting changes. The bike worked nearly as well as my 10. The forks, which doing the garage bounce test, didn't move much, were super plush yet resisted bottoming in the steep G-out ravine bottoms. The bike turned sharp and tracked well. Motor was much more electric than my 10'. It ran clean off the bottom and pulled quite well into top which is unusual for a stock Gas Gas pipe. (they are more bottom to mid pipes). I was very pleased with my first ride but worried it was just NEW BIKE SYNDROME where everything feels perfect at first but then the issues begin to surface later on.

The next day I rode out at another course that has a much faster layout with higher speeds, larger drop offs, sand and a bunch of grass track. Right away the suspension reavealed that it was a bit more springy than I like (I prefer a dead feel both front and rear). I added a couple of clicks of rebound to the front and rear and everything calmed down nicely. The compression was fine as the bike was plenty plush but still didn't bottom on 5 -6' ledge drop offs and high speed G-outs. The chassis, for everything Gas Gas changed, so much remained the same. The bike retained the front wheel steering, quick handling that I have been so used to. Probably the biggest difference between the new chassis is the ergos. The bike is taller and the seat is even flatter all the way to the gas cap. Moving back and forth there are no boot snags or any issues.

Fast forward to Sunday I set the sag and went out and raced a team race in North Dakota with Coach. The race consisted of extremely dry hard dirt, silt/ sand and a ton of off chamber single track. The bike worked incredibly well. We led the first lap and ended up with a couple of rider errors to finish 2nd. I was extremely happy with the way a stock bike worked on a chopped/ whooped out course. I had no head shake, no kicks, no suprises. I couldn't be happier with the bike stock. The forks are probably the best forks I have ever ridden. They are even beter than my Ohlins Ttx, and those were my favorite forks to date.

My plans for the bike are to beef up the radiators, have RB cut the head and modify the carb, add flexx bars, with fastway handguards. I have no current plans to do anything with the suspension right now. I don't know what I can improve. Issues might shown up 20 hours from now but right now its good, really good. It almost feels wrong to not have to send it off to get it set for my weight and riding style. The race showed me how good it worked stock.

Big thanks to Clay and GoFasters! Can't wait to ride again.

Brian
165lbs.
A Rider - Harescrambles, enduro
2007 ISDE Club Rider

Old 09-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Great review! Owning a 2010 with the TTX all round myself its not exactly what I wanted to hear though. You mean things get even better yet??
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Let's have some pictures, come on...Make us drool
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM

393375_10151000479681920_1579190057_n.jpg
431323_10151000480341920_1281866461_n.jpg

Bike is stock now. Actually its in pieces right now. I am in the process of getting the head, carb, and radiators done. I might as well go through and get everything greased as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 AM

My frame pivot was bone dry, glad I checked! Hope your not too late.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 AM

IMG_5475.jpg

Log crossing after start.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM

It's a beautiful beast

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Great review, thanks for taking the time to do so. Better than Ohlins TTX now thats sayn something! My son has the Ohlins TTX on his 2011 TM 250 MX and it's sweeeet . Congrats on the bike and an awesome race finish.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Default After 2 Races...

Well, I finally have some more seat time on the bike. I did do my typical modifications. For starters, I removed the E Start. There really was nothing wrong with it. It worked flawlessly and I even holeshot my first race with it in a lemans (spelling) style start. I just didn't feel the need for it.

I also had the head and carb done by RB Designs, beefed up my radiators, and added flex bars. Other than that it is pretty much stock.

The first race back after mods was a (3 hr) Sioux Falls harescramble. Sioux Valley Cycle Club harescrambles are basically high speed square edged cow pasture with no trees for miles. It is the perfect place for a 450 (wide open). The 3hr is typically a team race but I decided I wanted to ride the Iron Man class (I know this sounds silly to GNCC guys who ride 3 hours every race). It is pretty brutal because the place is soo fast and rough compared to the woods stuff I like to ride.

Race went, holeshot, lead for 1 1/2 hours, give up leave at gas stop, pass back for the lead, and hang on for a win. The bike, in the dry blue groove conditions, worked amazing, esp considering the non two stroke conditions. That's the beauty of a 300. It can find traction typically only a 4 stroke can find. The suspension was excellent on the small chop and larger stuff only bottoming on the most severe G-outs. I had no hints of head shake or anything scary. (don't run steering dampers cause I hate the feel) The bike tracked straight and true all afternoon even when I was tired.

My next race was a D23 Harescramble (Minnesota). Again the course was dry, silty, and rocky with a bunch of tight off chamber woods sections linked together with a bunch of fast field sections. I got off to a 4th place start and worked my way up from there. I had a nasty endo on the moto track on lap one, but never gave up the lead.

In both races, I could not have asked for a better engine. With the carb and head mod the bike runs so crisp on bottom and revs out really really well. Another change I made was going to a 48 tooth rear sprocket. Stock is a 50 and that is way too slow for a 300 even in the super tight nasty stuff. It just requires you to shift more.

Suspension, as I originally thought, is very very good stock. I just had two issues that will need to get corrected. The valving and spring rates seem very close for my size and riding style. (165 lbs and tight woods A rider) The issues I have with it are mainly to do with the new 48 Zokes. First issue is they do not settle into the stroke like I would like. While they are nice and plush, they don't settle enough to really let the bike drop into turns and rail. The front just rides too high for my liking. Talking to a Drew (WER), he had heard the same thing. Everyone he had spoke to was running the preload all the way out and still having the the same issue. I might need a some modification to that part of the fork.

The other issue with the fork was more of an annoyance. When i would wheelie into whoop faces or jump faces there is a bit of a clunk to them. Almost like the main spring is to short when the fork is fully extended. That issue you would think would help solve the other issue but again it was just something I could feel only every once and a while and I do not think it was a major issue.

Other than those small issues I could not be happier with the bike. It was already excellent bike straight out of the box and it only got better with the standard modifications.

Brian
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Brian,

Good review. The clunk means the fork cartridge(s) are either under filled or not bled properly from the factory. This has been seen before. As far as the fork not settling, I noticed that as well but it doesn't really bother me that much as the front still sticks well. It rides higher than my '07 with one range stiffer springs in the 45 Zokes. Originally I thought that my main spring preload was jacked up too much but after having these apart I see that even with the PFP set full out, there is still a lot (approx 7mm) of preload on the PFP piston spring. A KYB SSS has less and when properly bled the cartridge rod just makes full extension. That and the fact that the seals are tight may cause them to stay up and feel a little sticky, especially when cold. They are good though, don't deflect and you can really trust them.