Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 AM

Default help me decide on purchase

i currently own a 2004 crf250x, with athena kit and all the goodies, i have been burned by the valves twice, fork seal problems once per season, and it still feels heavy to me, not as heavy as my drz, but still heavy. i had a 78 it175 many many years ago, and that seems to have been my favorite all time bike, and my only 2t, butit was light, compact and fun. so the search began for the ultimate 2t enduro. i had seen some pamperas in the past, and was intrigued, then i got a link to this website from thumpertalk in the exotics forum and i started reading. I have found a 2004ec250, lots of goodies, original owner, who is selling for $2900, if it helps any i am 5'7", so a more compact bike is appealing, how is this bike going to compare to my 250x in power, and how it carries its weight, plushness of suspension etc.. some feedback would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 AM

You'll love it.
The only drawback is resale value. That doesn't bother me. I plan to keep my '03 forever.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have an '04 EC250 (DE). I love it! I can't compare it to your crf250x, but I will say it has made me a much better rider. The bike has great manners and suspension, it never gets upset in the whoops and rough stuff. The power is more than ample for me and I like the single taper needle like the LTR needle for smooth usable power.

Like Brian, I'm not worried about resale because this bike will last a long time. It's nice to look at the nice new young models, but the one I have treats me just fine. That goes for my bike too!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 AM

The power compared to your Honda, will be...how can I say this in a good way?......
astounding! Its hard to compare the two. Apples and oranges. I have an 06 250ec
and I am tickled pink with it. I have tried alot of the 4 strokes (one 250crfx) and have come away more satisfied with any of the 2 strokes I have had and there have been a bunch. I could never come to grips with the engine braking.

The nice thing about GG is they have some of the primo components stock that are on the Honda, i.e. Nissin brakes, and some of the parts crossover from the Hondas which make it even better.

The reliability of GG will surprise you, as good or better than anything on the market.

Do you race or just trail ride?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 PM

trail riding, mostly in the elkhorn mountains of eastern oregon mostly rocky hard ground, i dont much enjoy working on my bike as i have limited time, in a perfect world i would plate the gas gas as i have about 3 miles from my home the dirt starts, but i know that is not going to happen. does any one know if the title says "off road only", it it does not i may be able to sneak it through our local dmv, the bike has ltr jetting, pipe guard, ltr powe valve cover/fmf gnarly and turbine core/crash plate/handguards/radiator guards/ is the price reasonable?,
Old 04-03-2008, 12:54 PM

I have just gone from a 250x to a fse450 and that feels lighter on the trail than the X even in the tight stuff. Picking it up will no doubt be another matter but so far has exceeded my expectations by a long way. First thing you will have to put up with is the terrible build quality compared to the japanese but so far its been worth it.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

MSO doesn't say "off-road only"
Old 04-03-2008, 05:20 PM

I'd check the bike out REALLY GOOD! How are the sprockets, chain ect, is the plastic all tore up? Have you had a chance to ride it? The bikes are bullet proff. Kelly blue book has the bike listed for $3500.00 from a dealer and $2300.00 on trade in to a dealer. So your in the ballaprk. But real question is....do you dare to be different! Your among the hardcore GasGas bike owners and most if not all the guys here are on their second or third GasGas....gotta be worth something.

Good Luck
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM

being different is one of my top priorities, so i got that covered. i have talked to the owner at length, and looked at hi res pics, i am confident it is in good shape, and he is honerable, if i could plate it my 250x would be out the door immediately.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 PM

loopole,
I'm on my 3rd Gasser and they all have been great bikes! The nastier the trail
gets the better they work! Very smooth useable power. The MSO for my 2004
DE300 has "Off Road Only" printer on the very bottom of the page outside the
border. A little trimming and it's gone.
If your in the mountains I would look at a 300, they work great!
Good Luck!