Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Yep I would get heavier springs front and rear. I'm 175LB and run .44 fronts and the stock rear spring.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
So winding on more compression(preload) does nothing for rider sag?
Exactly. As I said before this is one of the biggest misunderstandings in motorcycle history.

But even if I tried I could not better explain it as Jakobi did. It says it all.

I had to learn it the hard way. One of my riding buddies asked me to set up his suspension on his street bike. I checked the rear sag and it was too big. I also checked the rider sag with him, a really fat guy, on the seat.

After I gave the spring 1.5 turns the static sag was perfectly within limits. The rider sag didnt change. So I gave the spring another two turns but the rider sag didnt change. I was puzzled and gave it another turn but nothing changed. After that I went to a suspension guy and told him what I have experienced and he just laughed and explained to me how it really works.

The preload does only adjust the height of the bike. He also said, that it is more important to have a correct rider sag than a correct static sag. Depending on the rider weight a point will be reached where the spring is so firm, that you cannot adjust the correct static sag, but once the heavy rider sits on the bike, the sag will be correct....

@Steve: good to see you get ist sorted. I'd recommend you first install a firmer spring, then test ride ist for some hours. If all is good let the forks alone. If you feel you need to get firmer fork springs, then get them. But do test first with just the new shock spring. Good Luck!

CU
Steve

edit: PS. If you install a firmer rear spring dont forget to adjust the rebound accordingly!