Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 05-21-2011, 12:36 PM

Default need ecu for 400-450 efi

Need Magnetti Marelli IAW 15P fuel injection ecu (yeah, you guys know the one). For an '05 fse 450.

Seems I had a ground come lose so it fed wacky voltage levels to the ecu and fried it. (Bike wouldn't start and then wouldn't talk to the laptop) Took it apart and tried to re soder but to no avail.

GoFasters can have it to me in 3weeks for $625, (i must have been too busy moaning and groaning to ask about shipping cost). My not so local dealer can get it for $675.

As much as i want to support anyone who deals GG, we just had a baby at Thanksgiving and then i got laid off at New Years, so moto budget is taking a big hit.

If i find a used one, then I need to get a new dongle for my tech program. And I would imagine used ecu is a bit of a roll of the dice?

Anyone have a good used one or know of a good alternative?
I've looked at alternatives from Micro Squirt at $475, but it's not a plg n play situation, so I'm not anxious to go that route.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:36 PM

I am surprised the ecu got screwed by high voltage. It must have been a very large spike. I had the crappy shunt alternator regulator go on me at the end of last season so 18.5 volts was going into it. It turned the battery into a football with terminals and logged a high voltage code in the ecu. No damage to it at all. Which ground came loose and are you sure all the voltages are where they should be? Also where have you been soldering i the ecu?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 AM

The circuit is the pin 17 +12V permanent listed in the wiring diagram to the ECU. It is a brown wire fed off of Fuse F7.

There is a dead short in the circuit inside the ECU. I put a current limiting resistor to try to test voltage drops, but the power feed seems to feed all the chips and transistors in the unit, not sure how to isolate which one has the short without cutting the circuit up physically.

I bought the bike from my brother in law, J a yr and a half ago. (Put 140 hrs on it in the first year riding with him on his '08 Husaberg fe 550, then slacked off a bit this winter).

Hopefully we can get some spare ecu parts or a used ecu to get the bike back on the trail.

We ahve the idea of buildinig a new ecu system based around a Micro Squirt product. Probably for a budget of $475 and it should also eleviate those pesky cold starting issues and be much more reliable system for the duration of my ownership. The Magnetti Marellis seem a little fragile.

With fears creaping in of my Magnetti Marelli smoking out on me 45 miles from the trail head in the North Cascade Mountains...he may be on to something.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments?

I really wish I would have had this problem in February!

Last edited by T.Low; 05-24-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Well, Micro Squirt is outta stock and is coming out with a new product that is supposed to be 100% waterproof, a better overall product, and have gotten costs down so it will be cheaper than the original. But it's not out yet and is not targeted to deliver until August so who really knows...

Best idea is to get something for this season and then next winter replace and rewire with a better stronger until if we think it is still needed.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Q-g, hope you got my 2nd PM, I'm a bit of a thumb sometimes, so I could have accidently sent it to Oka Naka Piitside for all i know.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Default Swap parts

I have a 2004 FSE 450, I would love to try my ECU in your bike and see if it runs. I will double check the part number tonight to make sure it's the same. Been chasing a problem and this would tell me if my 600.00 ECU is really bad before I just spend the money on hope. What do you think about this?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
I have a 2004 FSE 450, I would love to try my ECU in your bike and see if it runs. I will double check the part number tonight to make sure it's the same. Been chasing a problem and this would tell me if my 600.00 ECU is really bad before I just spend the money on hope. What do you think about this?

I'm fine with that. My bike is down at my brother in laws house in Edmonds. Is that about an 90 minutes or so from you? Do you want to meet there sometime early next week? (I think Wed and Thursdays are no good), or would you just want to send it over so I can tell you I can't figure it out, but actually I'll be riding me bike with it in.

Sorry, thats mean.

This holiday weekend is out. Next weekend I may be putting a bike together at his home shop, so that may be a good time to come over if you can wait that long. (Of course, I'll have to double check his schedule to make sure)
Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM

I talked to my brother in law; he said just send it (only $5) and that way he can run out and do it at lunch or anytime real quick, no prob. That way it will be quicker than trying to coordinate everyone's schedule's.

PM me for adress.