Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

The mouses are all the rage over here in Aus, but after reading this thread I think if/when the time comes to ditch the tubes that I'd much rather this option.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 PM

So what are these mouses??
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Trev, mousses are a reference to the brand name tied to Michelin Bib Mousse foam inserts. They are used extensively in the isde and offer flat free riding. Drawbacks are that they are heavy, they don't always hold the bread I correctly around the rim, especially near the rim lock if you aren't careful, and when you have to change a tire in four minutes, I sure am not careful. Sometimes they right themselves, but sometimes the don't, and you can get a wobbly feel from the rear end as it bounces up and down. Worse yet, it's the dead feel, and lack of compliance you can get from a tire with air in it. Oh, and lest I forget to mention, you had better use the entire container of lube on each insert before mounting them, or they will disintegrate.

The plus is, they can be changed very quickly because you don't need to add air. More over, you won't get a flat tire.

I hope that clears it up, though I'll bet you were just yanking my chain about not knowing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Nope I sure wasn't, apparently haven't heard it all but thanks a lot for explaining it. Kind of sounds like the tubliss would be better in your opinion then for our application ?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

The mousse is puncture proof where it sounds like the tubliss can still leak if the carcass is compromised. They recommend using a sealant to combat this.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 PM

I could deal with that I just wouldn't want to compromise feel and weight for a quick plug to repair a tubliss
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM

Mousse is a real PIA and expensive, in addition to what was said. Its an option if you absolutely positively can't get a flat, if your getting paid to race or paid a lot to race (six days).
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

For the inexperienced like me I would say changing a mousse would take much longer than tubliss or tubes, it is like changing a tire when the tube is still inflated :-/
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

To add to that mousses are for the pro's (and weekend warriors that value their riding time over punctures) but are also not 100% remember how they kept collapsing on Coma at the first S American Dakar (there were unofficial rumors that despress used tubliss ) I Aldo know that one of the top 10 roof finishers used the tubliss as a rimlock with a trials tire and mousse

Jakobi tubliss will compliment your nice suspension, but you will probably need to go for a tire with a stronger sidewall to avoid sidewall cuts - I know mitas is working closely with tubliss and also to get closer to being flat-proof they are working on a tire that will be a runflat keeping a pressure of about 0.3bar with a puncture, but that is still under development
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM

My son and I have been using the bib mousse inserts for a few years. Flat-proof is hard to beat. Cost is only slightly higher than the TuBliss. We like the non-bouncy feel. It seems to make the bike feel more planted. And after doing it a few times, with the proper tools, they're as easy (or easier) to change than a tubed tire.

Last edited by mcnut; 04-12-2013 at 08:50 AM.