Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Applying my new decals

My yellow '06 EC200 is soon to be a red and white '12, at least as far as plastics are concerned. I just received one of the "modification kits" consisting of the 07 subframe, airbox, seat lights etc from Motocrosscenter.com.

To my surprise, the decals arrived in a separate package, not applied to the plastic. Of course it makes sense to stock graphic kits and plastics separately, as there are quite a bit different kits available.

As I have never done this before, I seached the forum for advice. I found this thread
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2052
and have read the instructions at
http://store.ridepg.com/tips/
and
http://graphicmx.com/app.shtml

However, I still have a few questions:
What's the easiest way to success, to mount the plastics on the bike before or after applying the decals?
Is the temperature important? Does hot plastic / decals adhere better?
I think the "wet" method looks the easiest one. Someone mentioned a hair dryer, is it wise to heat the decals when they are in place?

Any other tips are most welcome.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc

Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Do you want to sell your yellow plastics?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Yes, I can do so, but as I live in Norway, the shipping may prove very expensive.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM

I use a hair dryer to help with cruves and also remove bubbles very close to the edge.

A credit card works great for making sure everything is smooth.

I always start by taking the graphic, back side up. Then peeling one half of the graphic back to about center. Take a razor blade and cut a 1/2/ to 1/4 strip out of the backing, reapply the backing leaving the strip exposed.
You don't want to touch the backing with your fingers, as the oil from your skin is not good for the adhisive.

Center the graphic on the plastic , check edges for alignment, top to bottom, side to side. Once graphis is where you want it, press down the small center strip, check alignment again... and again! This allows you to check alignment without having the entire graphic sticky stuff exposed.

Once you have it all centered, fold over the graphic, and VERY, VERY slowly start to peel off the backing one half at a time starting from the center.

Using the credit card to smooth out as you go. The key is to GO SLOW and steady smoothing out as you work from center to the edge and to top or bottom, based on where you started.

Then you can use the hair dryer to help with the curves and indentions in the plastic.

I would start with a small fender graphic to get the hang of it, or try this method on a old race decal or sticker.....

I have found this menthod to work great for me as I just put new graphics on my 99 EC200.

Good luck and enjoy.

I'd love to get a kit like that for my 99.....

Please provide feed back on the install.

Thanks
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the description. It will be a couple of weeks before I try it, but I will post a report when its done

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 AM

Definitely do them before you mount the plastics on the bike as it's loads easier. It also helps to get both plastics and graphics indoors and at room temperature before you start.