Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Default I got an '07 250!

Hi all, I got my '07 EC250 last week, and put about 5 1/2 or 6 hours on it so far. I'm coming off an '01 XC250 so I can compare the two back to back. Let me know what questions you have, and I'll try to answer them as best as I can. If I don't respond right away, it's probably because I have a new bike to ride!!! The quick and dirty is the 07 is a little better looking, definitely turns better, runs about the same as my 01 with LTR jetting and a Doma pipe (that means it runs VERY good out of the box) and the jury is still out on the suspension, but, I have a feeling that I'm not going to be happy with the rear until Les does some work on it for me... Any way, like I said before if you have any questions, just let me know...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 AM

Congrats on the wicked ride. I've been eyeing up the EC250, though I think I'm going to have to wait for the 2008 version.

Any idea how it compares to a 200?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:47 AM

I just ordered my '07 EC250 w/Sachs yesterday!

Did you get the Sachs or the Ohlins shock? The Ohlins they stuck on the first '07s I saw was NOT the same as the Ohlins as on your '01, but apparently a newer/cheaper? version. From experience riding my brothers Huskys, the Sachs can feel real stiff until it has a few break in rides on it. The Husky Zokes were nasty until the factory oil was changed and they broke in. After that its valving. I plan to send everything to Les as well, but it should be decent stock.

How do you like the quick change filter? One opinion I heard was bad, and the guy swapped some '06 parts to use the old filters and bolt setup instead of the "pogo stick". I'll have to see for myself, but IMO not much can go wrong with a bolt.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Congrats guys.

I'm glad to hear you will still be on a GasGas Glenn.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 AM

Yeah, I flirted with the Yamaha 250F, but in the end you go with what you know. In some ways the WR would be better, but not as a do it all bike that must be kept and maintained for a few years. The 250 2-stroke is still the standard woods bike and the EC250 is the best 250, IMO.

FYI, a fully loaded '03 EC250 weighs 2 lbs more than a totally stock '07 WR250F, 1/2 tank of fuel each, same scale/method. So, with all its protection, the Yamaha will weigh more. Its a very nice bike though, in a different league than previous years.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Smile

I don't think the quick change filter will be much of a problem, it seems like a good enough design... The quick release seat on the other hand... well, I can't say that I'm convinced that it will be as trouble free as the two bolts holding my '01 seat on, but time will tell. Like I said earlier, I will reserve judgement on the suspension until I get some more seat time, initially the forks work good on the fast stuff and square hits, but could be more supple in the tight rocky stuff. I know, the two usually don't go hand in hand, but that's my imprssion so far. The rear shock is a Sachs, it looks cool and has a huge reservoir, but I need more time to set it up to its full potential before I will give a final verdict. The dual map CDI is a neat gizmo, but I really don't know why they bother with it, I mean I didn't exactly hear anyone ASKING for a dual map, but we got one... For me it was just more wires to tidy up. I can notice a difference between the settings, but I can't say I'm convinced that it will give me any advantage over my old bike.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Yeah, I flirted with the Yamaha 250F, but in the end you go with what you know. In some ways the WR would be better, but not as a do it all bike that must be kept and maintained for a few years. The 250 2-stroke is still the standard woods bike and the EC250 is the best 250, IMO.

FYI, a fully loaded '03 EC250 weighs 2 lbs more than a totally stock '07 WR250F, 1/2 tank of fuel each, same scale/method. So, with all its protection, the Yamaha will weigh more. Its a very nice bike though, in a different league than previous years.
Don't mean to start an arguement here but how can any 250F be lighter than any 250 two stroke. I just can't see that. I can read in your post you used the same scale and method but I can't imagine the 250f not being at least ten pounds heavier. With e-start the Yamaha website says 233, Gas Gas says 99 kilos which is less than 220 pounds. Way to go Yamaha I guess???

Greg