Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

View Poll Results: Quieter Silencer
Yes I would like a quieter silencer 33 86.84%
No I am not interested 0 0%
I am happy the way it is 2 5.26%
It should become standard equipment 12 31.58%
It should be an available option 3 7.89%
I would be willing to pay a little more 5 13.16%
Not interested if it costs more 1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Default Quieter Silencer 2

Who would be interested in a quieter silencer for their 2 stroke Gas Gas?

I am all about quiet and have been for the over 30 years I've been riding. I hate loud bikes of any kind as well as cars, truck, etc. and as I get older it seems to bug me more.

Since the beginning of my riding days there has been a sound problem that continues to this day and I firmly believe it's still our biggest problem so hense this poll. I personally would like a quietier option than the standard Turbine Core II silencer for my GG.

I have talked to Dale Malasek, the Gas Gas importer (as well as FMF and Go Fasters) about the possibility of getting FMF to build the new Stealth Q Silencer for the Gas Gas 2 strokes. I thought he could use his leverage to get them to do it even though we are puny in #'s compared to KTM. He said he would be glad to talk to FMF but also wanted to guage the interest from the GG community so I said I would take a poll to see how many people would be interested.

This is for current and possible future owners if you want to vote.

Here is a link to the FMF Q Stealth if you want to have a look. http://www.fmfracing.com/default_det...ocross&cat=500 It would be be a bit bigger and longer than the current Turbine Core II silencer just so you know (small price to pay IMO).

Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 AM

my bike never blow more than 92-94,but I would always vote for a quieter silencer,even if it meant a slight power rob,aho uses the bike to its fullest anyway,let the pros wring the snot out of them,ever hear a stock XR400 or 250? stealth isnt even the word
Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I bought an FMF "Q" for my daughter's KTM 200. It really wasn't much quieter than the newly packed TC 2 on my ec 300. I was a bit disappointed in that.

I am all for more quite. a silencer at $149 is a cheap insurance policy to keep riding areas open. I hope the Q stealth is quieter than the Q.

blitz
Old 11-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Truly IMO the Powercore 2 muffler is not too offensive. Mine is consistently 94DB. I have had several comment that they didn't hear me coming up on them when racing scrambles. Compared to the majority of modern 4 strokes these bikes are already stealth. Much of the sound emitted is actually escaping through the expansion chamber and engine area. I guy I know put a db snorkel on a turbine core 2 and it did not really do much in the way of noise reduction.

All that being said, quieter is better and I am all for it!
I do however think what these bikes come equipped with exceed federal regs and are on the low side of, or right there with the competition when it comes to sound. And to keep the already slightly porky gassers weight down and stay competitive in the weight wars, adding more will not help them sell.
Something quieter should be an option! But what it comes with stock already is more than adequate for the multipurpose use these machines get IMO.

The last 4 stroke 450 Gasser I heard, an 05, was pretty darned loud. The newer stock 4 stroke Gas Gas muffler may be quieter, I'm not sure. If it isn't I'd suggest they look into helping find a solution.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:50 PM

The sad thing is that my stock silencer on my old GG 200 blew 88db at an ISDE quialifier. What's sad about that you ask? It had no spark arrestor so I couldn't run it, but I was curious. The FMF I put on blew the requisit 94db. I later bought a sparky and bolted it to the end of the stocker.

To me, a loud bike wears a person out. I'm all for quiet.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM

The 08 ktm 2t bikes are very quiet stock!!
I always thought my 06 300 w/pc II was a bit loud but it blows around 92 to 94 at sound tests and when I'm under way I'm usually not on the pipe so it is even quieter. I think if you put a stock euro gasser pipe on a US gasser you'd find it to be very quiet, especially underway.

Too quiet can be a problem in multi use areas. You want horse riders and mtb'ers to be able to hear us coming. A horses defense mechanism is flight. If you come around the corner on your whisper quiet bike and surprise a hores the poor bugger on its back better know what they are doing cuase they are going for a ride!! A little noise it good for the wild life too. In the wild silence is the sound of death. If deer get used to hearing dirtbikes and they know that those noisey critters don't try and kill them then they aren't going to be stressed out by them.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:39 PM

I have a DRZ400 with a Muzzy Ti pipe and muffler sys. It is almost identical to my FSE450 with the FMF muffler. Surprisingly, the Muzzy has much larger pipes, probably puts out much more air than the GG sys and is much quieter to boot.

I'm working on trying to fit the Muzzy to the GG. I expect it will make my GG run better and also make it more quiet.

Yes, I'd like something quieter than the FMF but I'd also like not to loose any HP in the process.

Tony
Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 PM

I have both the OEM GG silencer and an FMF TC2. I think the GG silencer is a bit quieter than the FMF, probably because there is more core/packing area (no SA). Like Roscoe said, they are adequate for the intended use, BUT, they get to sounding nasty if not maintained. I don't think 2-strokes are the big problem. I live in a valley between two mountains full of trails and old roads. You can hear everything, guns, bikes, dogs barking, saws, you name it. A 2-stroke with a decent silencer in the woods is not a particular high energy sound, and is muffled by the trees fairly well. All the leaf blowers running in yards are far more noticable. Now, enter the kid (one of many) on his new 250F with open MX pipe. You can hear him for miles, count his shifts, even get an idea how his bike is running. That sound is what is pissing people off, it has much more energy.

Skid, your right about the deer. Up here they are used to bikes and I can get very close with a still running bike before they spook.

As far as the road, I like to be heard but not at a ridiculous level, like your typical HD with open pipes that runs like crap from no backpressure. I run a Leo Vince system on my Duc but retain the inserts. I happen to love the Ducati sound and while not excessively loud, its loud enough to render soccer mom's cell phone useless withen a few car lengths. I think the phone display may shatter if I remove the inserts.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:35 PM

I also ride MTB's and have noticed from that end of the spectrum, that a stock KDX is about the quitest thing in the world. They're still noisy enough to give fair warning. It's most fun to pass a motorcycle rider going down a hill on the mountain bike.
Anyway, this motivated me to try something. I got a used stock silencer from a KDX, then modified it to fit my Gas Gas ( it did't take much, just hack off the lower mount on the silencer, and the bike). I was less than impressed, the stock euro silencer was waaay lighter, and was quieter to boot, besides being an abomination of a thing to do to such a great bike, it was a bad idea. That double walled KDX silencer must make a big difference in sound.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-24-2008, 08:16 AM

I have the FMF TC2 on my '01 XC300 and a FMF Q from a ’99-02 KX250 on my '06 EC300.

Fitting the FMF Q silencer on my ’06 EC300 required some minor mods. The Q silencer is about as long as the stock GasGas Euro silencer and a few inches longer than the GasGas FMF TC2 silencer. As a note, the KX FMF Q would not fit on my ’01 XC300 as it had too much interference with the rear fender.

From my perspective I can’t hear a meaningful difference in noise level between the FMF TC2 and FMF Q with the rest of the engine noise, especially the noise of the pressure pulses reverberating in the expansion chamber.

I would be curious to hear from anyone who used the DB snorkel to go stealth.