Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

View Poll Results: Quieter Silencer
Yes I would like a quieter silencer 33 86.84%
No I am not interested 0 0%
I am happy the way it is 2 5.26%
It should become standard equipment 12 31.58%
It should be an available option 3 7.89%
I would be willing to pay a little more 5 13.16%
Not interested if it costs more 1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Eric,

The silencer I'm refering to is the new Q Stealth (not sure you realize this) which is supposed to be quieter than the regular Q silencer which I'm looking to bypass completely.

IMO every little bit helps and a little cut in db can go a long way to the regular ear. From users on KTM Talk who have this new silencer, up close it doesn't seem to be so much different than the regualr Q but I guess as you get further from the bike it becomes more noticeable. Really removes the bark.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback so far...keep em coming please!! I would say from the looks so far it's a wanted/needed item....at least as an option.

Skidad

Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM

Skidad,

I realized you were referring to the new Q stealth.

My subjective observation from the motorcyle seat is that there is little sound difference between the TC2 and Q. It seems that we are at point of diminishing returns on the silencer. I agree that every bit counts. A DB snorkel would give you an idea of how far you could go with more silencer.

Perhaps there is a way to put a lightweight insulating coating inside the expansion chamber to reduce the sound - like the double walled KDX pipe. That may yield a better noise reduction than a larger silencer.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 PM

how about some kind of pipe wrap to kill the pulse noise in the expansion chamber. Bet that would quiet things down quite a bit.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 PM

brianVT had a DBsnorkel for a while on his bike,maybe he can chime in,still dont think it would stay on my bike at race speeds though,too much bouncing around
Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 PM

Thats a big reason the KDX is so quiet. The thing also weighs a ton. I wonder if the spray on bedliner stuff would work on the cones (cooler part) of the pipe as a db killer? If not, I'm sure there is some type of higher temp acoustic coating somewhere that would work.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'll be able to tell you soon on the db snorkel, as I have one on the way.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM

I ordered a db snorkle to check out but returned it (the guy took it back NO questions asked and even refunded the shipping). The opening to mount it to the silencer was huge and it would have been really mickey mouse adapting it to fit. The concept is great and it works and I would have no issues hanging that thing off the back if it was a bit smaller and better fitting. The really important part of the Snorkle is the first section/end cap area. I have seen people use it with just that piece (no long tube underneath) and it's still very effective. You can modify the extra tubing to have as much or as little as you want but the important part lies in the end cap and first bend. I asked about a smaller one being made but he said the tooling costs were huge to do this one so that isn't going to happen any time soon.

If you need some proof of the effectiveness of this Q Stealth here are 3 pages of threads from KTM Talk on how good it works (especially compared to the Turbine Core 2). http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=311250. We need this silencer and I'm urging everyone here to contact FMF http://www.fmfracing.com/contact/contact.aspx and request them to build it for the Gassers.

Last edited by Skidad; 11-27-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:11 PM

I had a dbSnorkel on my '01 XC300 and consistenly blew 88 - 90 dbA during sound testing. Without the dbSnorkel, the stock FMF TC2 blew 93 - 95 dbA with fresh packing.

I didn't have any problems keeping the dbSnorkel on my bike as the attachment was quite sturdy and well engineered. However the whole silencer fell off at the '06 NETRA Rocky Mountain Enduro. The front mounting hole was worn through, long before I ever installed the snorkel, and the rear bolt finally sheared off. Went from being one of the quietest bikes to the loudest. Never did get the silencer or the snorkel back. My ears rang for three days afterwards too. The only other issue I had was the end of the snorkel pushed up against the rear fender.

Not only did the snorkel reduce exhaust noise, but it had a psychological effect on me as well. Not being able to "hear" the exhaust I tended to ride a little more aggresively and hold the throttle open longer. I'm thinking about getting another dbSnorkel for my '03 EC300 since, lately, I've been riding behind my son on a little Honda 50 and that bike is whisper quiet.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM

One of the guys over on the orange site put a db Snorkle on the Q stealth silencer and blew something like 83-84db in a sound test. Now that's quiet.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 AM

Pre-'98 2-stroke KTM's with the factory "hockey-stick" S/A silencers always tested in the mid to upper 80's. My '98 EC250 Gasser with the stock Messico silencer never tested above 88 dbA until I hacked off 6-inches to install an Answer S/A. It never tested below 92dbA after that.