Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Default First Aid for bikers

Last week a riding buddy of mine died after a head-on with a car on a dirt road. It was a bit of a freak accident and we are all a bit shaken up over the whole incident. I cannot speculate about weather first aid would have made any difference as they managed to get him to the clinic within an hour and a half from the time of the accident.

I have been thinking about organizing a first aid course specifically for dirt bikers and thought I would ask you guys for your input in terms of what I should give the instructor as their brief to prepare the course

So if you can think of any pointers to list (types of injuries, accident situations, medical kit essentials etc) I would really appreciate it

Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM

Just stating the obvious...
1. head & spinal trauma
2. how to temporarily set broken bones
3. dealing with open wounds & gashes
4. dealing with shock

having a first-aid course dealing with common injuries associated with biking injuries, is a great idea. the next step is convincing someone to carry all the equipment...better yet, how improvise in certain situations. As yet, I haven't been able to convince anyone to let me stitch them up( I have 4 different suture kits in my med pack). I highly recommend this book, in a first-aid kit(mine came with).

http://www.rei.com/search?query=wild...ravel+medicine
Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2014, 12:55 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa_j View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
thanks, it was really unfortunate, think they were running late and decided to cut their ride short and hopped onto the dirt road and he met a car at the one narrow blind kink in the road. Worst of it is that he has a 2yr old and a 5 month old daughters at home :-(

This is not the norm for enduro riders, and most of us refuse to ride road/DS bikes for this very reason

Anyway thanks for the responses so far
Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 AM

Sorry for your lose. My heart goes out to his family.

I think it's a great idea to have some form of first aid. I carry a small first aid kit with two add ons, one being a tampon(great for puncher type injuries and also make great fire lighters if you ever get stuck out over night) and a tube of super glue great for deep cuts.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear Matt. Thats everyones worst fear.

Here in Australia our first aid courses (inc CPR and defib) all follow the DRABCD model which is fine and dandy in theory. The problem is that this is great general first aid, but it is just that. When you are dealing with trauma things become a little different, and even sometimes with the best knowledge, and all the equipment there is still little that can be done.

I would imagine internal and external bleeding are likely the ones that have the less desirable outcomes, and on the side of the track, in the middle of the bush, the best hope you really have is getting help to the patient fast. Being able to know where you are, evaluate a patient, and make contact with the emergency services is paramount. All this requires staying calm, and doing what you can to package the person up with basic first aid until help can arrive.

It makes me feel sick to the stomach writing this, as its really something I hate hearing, and would even more hate to experience myself.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:21 PM

So, so sorry to hear of your friends loss. Especially in such freak circumstances and the thought of his young children at home is heart wrenching.

Just going back one stage - i thought people (Medical staff ?) talked of the "Golden Hour" after an accident and the improved chances if a patient was in Medical care within this time. And hour and a half sounds along time for your buddy to have not been attended to in my eyes.

Good luck getting your course going. Nice thought / gesture / idea........
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Sorry to him, his family, his friends.
Truely sad.
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 02-25-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfourate View Post
So, so sorry to hear of your friends loss. Especially in such freak circumstances and the thought of his young children at home is heart wrenching.

Just going back one stage - i thought people (Medical staff ?) talked of the "Golden Hour" after an accident and the improved chances if a patient was in Medical care within this time. And hour and a half sounds along time for your buddy to have not been attended to in my eyes.

Good luck getting your course going. Nice thought / gesture / idea........
I agree an hour and a half is long, but based on where they were and where the clinic is it was good going, unfortunately while we have the great riding areas and good lifestyle here it is still very much a third world country
Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

so sorry, that is just awful, his kids and family, you and his other mates all have our deepest condolences and thoughts.

good on you for doing something positive.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha