Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Full throttle?

How often would you say that you're 3/4 or more on the throttle? How much do you open the throttle, say, when you exit a flat corner or you need to rise the front wheel in front of a log?

I know it depends on the engine, the gearing, the obstace, etc, but I think I might be somewhat scared to "twist it". I recently started riding EC300, stock gearing, and I seldomly reach 3/4 of the throttle. At least I think so. The tacho almost never reaches 7 or 8 th. rpms. Next step I plan to do is take a white marker and put some marking on the grip so that hopefully I would be able to notice how much I'm using.

I read Gary Semics advice that one should really over grip the throttle handle. Is that too motocross style?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 AM

It really depends on the rider and how confident they are plus what kind of trail you are riding. I try to to stay on the pipe while riding. I also run a 13-50sprocket set up.

Ride in your comfort zone! As you build your confidence you will notice yourself going faster. One of my things that I truly have faith in is to ride with people that are faster than you. You will pick up on what they are doing and in time you will become faster. I'm not saying to not ride with slow people at all! But spend your time with the fast guys and ask them questions.

Never ever ride above your head! This is how you will seriously hurt yourself. I learned this Road Racing Sport Bikes!

Last but not least! Relax and enjoy the scenery. This is not a job it is a hobby!

Happy Trails,
Boomer
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 AM

Default full throttle

boomhauer great advice!! heed that advise and with alot of riding time youll get good! then fast ,in that order! good luck
Old 01-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Last year I used thin strips of electrical tape to mark a referance point on the cable housing and throttle grip so I could see 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full throttle in order to try to fine tune my jetting. Aggressive trail riding rarely had me over 1/4 throttle except for initial "bursts" of speed. Desert riding was more (1/2 to 3/4 unless doing "bursts") but the speeds kept me from being able to adjust my focus long enough to really tell where I was at. I was surprised at how little throttle I really used most of the time.
If I exit a flat corner and twist hard or need to raise over a log I usually use 100% but I'm 275lbs without gear too. One more reason that I like my gasser, all the power I need! I run 13/50 gearing also.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
If I exit a flat corner and twist hard or need to raise over a log I usually use 100% but I'm 275lbs without gear too. One more reason that I like my gasser, all the power I need! I run 13/50 gearing also.
Thanks. I'll have that in mind (with safety first, of course).
Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM

In the tight woods, I rarely get to even 1/2 throttle. I find it's easier to cruise fast by using smooth bursts of low end grunt. On a motocross track I'm usually in the 1/2-3/4 throttle range. Only time I really get near WFO is wide open logging roads, desert riding or pavement/beach sections at the ISDE.

Log crossings might be 1/3-1/2 throttle for a quick burst.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

In really sloppy conditions like slippery mud and snow a strategy that I use to good effect is that I'm at w.o.t. most all of the time. I find that upshifting a couple of gears higher than normal with the throttle taped allows me to keep moving ahead at really good speed without wheel spin. The downside is of course really poor fuel economy about 35 miles to a full tank and your shifting alot more than normal.Its not uncommon for me to be in fourth or fifth where other guys are only in second .
Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
In really sloppy conditions like slippery mud and snow a strategy that I use to good effect is that I'm at w.o.t. most all of the time. I find that upshifting a couple of gears higher than normal with the throttle taped allows me to keep moving ahead at really good speed without wheel spin. The downside is of course really poor fuel economy about 35 miles to a full tank and your shifting alot more than normal.Its not uncommon for me to be in fourth or fifth where other guys are only in second .
Thats what I do in the sloppy mud. It is alot easier to ride WOT in too high of a gear.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 AM

The only time I've really needed full noise is climbing very steep hills. My previous bike , a tt350 yamaha would run out of puff near the top of steep hills causing much drama for me and hilarity for others.
The 400 fse has climbed near vertical walls with no issues.
The full throttle thing reminds me of a conversation I had with an older and very experienced enduro rider who told me "if you aren't riding at 100% throttle all the time you don't need a faster bike".