Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Default 2011 Suspension Question

Hi guys. I'm looking to switch from KTM to a 2011 XC300 6-Days. What I'm most concerned with is the suspension and I'm trying to figure out what would be the better place to start - Sachs-equipped units or one with the Zoke/Ohlins setup?

I've learned early models shipped with Sachs components, but are now coming with the Zoke/Ohlins units. There are still some models left out there with the Sachs setup. I know they make a decent shock (have one on my Husky) and TTX inserts are available for the Sachs. My only experience with the Shiver Fork is also on my Husky, and they were really bad as delivered. So I'm trying to figure out which setup I'd be better off with. I know anything can be made to work to a degree, but anyone have any input on this?

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

Six of one half dozen of the other.From a cost perspective, If you can get the sachs equiped bike cheaper, than put the price difference into the reworking of the forks, I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd opt for the zokes. Both can be made to work good enough but the sachs is a little bit more labour intensive to work on. I would'nt be suprised if kyb internels would work with the sachs tubes, if you could find a kyb guy who switched to ttx?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM

I raced a Sachs/Sachs XC250 last year and was happy with its performance all 'round. I made one change to the mid-valve and changed the oil height and the forks were fine - in fact the Michigan hare scrambles champ said he could race the bike without so much as moving the clickers.

That being said, the Sachs take different tools and shims than most forks, and aren't as well understood as the 'Zokes. If you're at all uneasy about it, get the Zokes/Ohlins. And no, KYB bits don't fit

For what its worth though, I was on the phone today trying to horse-trade a Zokes/Ohlins XC250 for a Sachs/Sachs bike.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the input.

I just learned that the local shop that did my Husky suspension (Zokes/Sachs) did the factory GG work up here. He did wonders with my Husky stuff that was less tuneable that what GG is using. Just talked to him and it's good to know that if I do need anything done there is someone local with the know-how for the Zokes. Kinda makes the decision for me going with the 6-Days version to get the extra goodies a bit more comfortable.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM

To update this I actually opted for a Sachs-equipped early unit after talking with a couple respected suspension guys that work on the Gassers. It sounds like they both prefer the Sachs knowing what they know, and the 'between-the-lines' tip from twowheels kept me digging into the options. I saved enough money to put towards some of the goodies that attracted me to the 6D, so it's working out.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 PM

Good job, get the TTX cartridges and be happy. The Sachs shock is good but the forks are just ok.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
Good job, get the TTX cartridges and be happy. The Sachs shock is good but the forks are just ok.
The inserts will have to wait, but the ability to install them in these forks was a factor in my decision. I'd love to try them out. I'll have to see how I get along with these after they break in and have them set up.