Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

mtothef,

Interesting post. A lot of truth there. I have high expectations for my GG and for the most part they've all been exceeded.

Clay,

Pictures sent.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have not commented on this thread as this has been a virtual non issue for me on three 300's and I'm guessing my 4th won't have a issue either.

Yes, I have got them hot enough that I got em all to make noise, it does make a hell of a racket. But that was only from severe abuse. Enough abuse I've overheated the bike, yeah overheated a Gas Gas, now thats abuse.

Over the years I have heard guys saying use Rottella, use this, use that, to cure the squelchy clutch. I have always ran 80wt Spectro. I never changed, I bought my first Gas Gas, asked what a certain local pro was using at that time in his bike and went with it. Works for me.

These OEM Gas Gas clutches are the most durable OEM clutches put in a dirt bike, and who knows, that may contribute to the noise, it may be a harder friction material than others. If thats the case I will certainly live with a little noise once in a while in exchange for durability.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 PM

These OEM Gas Gas clutches are the most durable OEM clutches put in a dirt bike, and who knows, that may contribute to the noise, it may be a harder friction material than others. If thats the case I will certainly live with a little noise once in a while in exchange for durability.

Roscoe[/QUOTE]
+1
In the case of brake pads and friction materials my experience has been that the more durable the material the more likely it is to make noise.(accept for asbestos which has pretty much been banned) I think this is more of a USA thing to expect that everything should be perfectly smooth and quiet. It seems that Europeans expect brakes to make a little noise now and then. The best two factory automobile brake materials are Honda and Mercedes which I have found are also the most likely to make noise. So what has this got to do with a clutch you ask? The point I'm trying to make is if you consider what you are asking of your clutch do you really expect it to be perfectly quiet, not get hot, have smooth engagement and last forever? BTW I have read threads on the KTM forum from riders asking about their clutch making noise so it's not just a Gas Gas thing.

Bottom line; I'll trade some noise in exchange for longevity and smooth operation anytime.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef View Post
... i wish the grab handles at the rear of the seat were designed for someone other than E.T, but ...
Um, er, those aren't grab handles, they're air inlets. Keep lifting it there and you'll have to add GasGas seat durability to your tear-jerkingly funny list of bike problems.

... just sayin'
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

my 2011 300 sqawkes like a dying goose. the dealer installed a Rekluse Core EXP and when manually slipping the clutch is squeals. My KTM is quite as a church mouse. I am going to try some Rotella and see if that helps.
Rob
Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Um, er, those aren't grab handles, they're air inlets. Keep lifting it there and you'll have to add GasGas seat durability to your tear-jerkingly funny list of bike problems.

... just sayin'
Funny, there is a frame rail in there that is just perfect to grab on to...

"No one expects the spanish inquisition"
2011 GG xc300
GG TXT 321 trials
Guzzi V7
Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Administrator

This thread has meandered along for a long time - I am tempted to close it so that more focused conversations can happen.

jeff
Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
This thread has meandered along for a long time - I am tempted to close it so that more focused conversations can happen.

jeff
Why would you do that...it may not be a concern for some but it is for others.
I for one think this is just the kind of stuff that needs to out in the open.
Seems to me that borders the realm of censorship.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
Why would you do that...it may not be a concern for some but it is for others.
I for one think this is just the kind of stuff that needs to out in the open.
Seems to me that borders the realm of censorship.
There are over 100 responses to this thread and it is not focused on a specific solution. The thread has lost its focus. Moderation includes keeping things civil and also productive. I am not deleting anything so it is not censorship. It is guiding the conversation into sub topics and new threads.

Mark at gofasters should be applauded for posting photos of various clutch baskets,, diagnosing the cause, and providing potential solutions to the clutch noise problem. The solution suggested is to drill holes in the clutch basket to increase lubrication to the plates. This might need to go one baby step further into a very specific service bulletin from the factory with exact info.

Just my opinion.

This thread is closed. Feel free to start a new thread to discuss solutions.

Jeff