Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 AM

Default 03 450 FSE EFI to CARB ?

Is it possible to carb one of these bikes or perhaps chuck a DRZ engine straight in ?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Yes.
You can contact MotoWest in California. They were making carb conversions for the Gas Gas'.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM

cheers dude i'll send them an email !
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Why go with a DRZ motor. You could just go with a DRZ carb and computer if the GG computer won't work.
There is a UTUBE video of someone modifying a GG frame to accept a DRZ motor.

Tony
Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 AM

I've just had it with this motor I figured carbing may go a long way to solving the many starting issues but the more I think about it the more issues could be coming into play. The DRZ engine is bomb proof and start on the button no problems. Thats what I want but just not in that old tired DRZ chasis. I'd love to find that video i'll have a good luck
Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Not sure of the name of the video but mostly all that was needed was to create a U bracket for the shock mount.

Since I have both DRZs and GG 450s I find very little difference between the 2 motors other than the 6 speed and EFI. Basically, until 2005 they were the same motor. I've always thought a good mod would be to put a carbed GG motor in a DRZ frame.

I use my GG sm on the road and like my DRZ it's bullet proof. Close to 20,000 miles now and except for the morning start it's not had much in the way of problems.

Tony
Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Hhhhmmm I would love this bike if it started it just won't and the sheer amount of people with axactly the same issues is quite frankly shocking. I got the bike because I thought the engine was the same but no realizing the EFI was going to be a pain (do you have your own software for it ?) Also the battery just won't hold charge, everything possible has been replaced it just seems to drain and not fire over from the e start, occasionally with a kick and a flick of the E start it will fire but only 1 in a 50 times its a massive pain. I also run it as a SM as my road bike. I'm just not willing to sink any more time and money into this unless I can be sure of the outcome.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Not sure what to say. I would use an ammeter to so see if I could locate the current leak. With the constant on speedo it would have some draw but not enough the drain the battery even if not started for a month.

I've gone thru a number of batteries with my GGs. I did switch from the stock battery to the YTZ 7S. I'ts slightly larger and it is a tight fit. I actually removed the battery boxes and drilled new holes in them to slightly lower the battery so they would fit the subframes a bit easier.

Another thing about the batteries is that all the batteries that failed were off brand batteries. Most wouldn't hold a charge after a few months. One failed internally on some fire roads. The internal connection
separated at the + terminal. The only battery that did not fail is the Yuasa. After 3 years it's still going strong.

I do have the original software to set up the CDI but their's not much to adjust and the adjustments I did make didn't seem to have any effect on cold starting.

If you want, I could go out and remove my seat and let you know what normal battery drain should be.

My thoughts on carbing the GG was to either use a DRZ CDI or to lwork with defeating the EFI but still use the GG CDI.

If someone was making a carb kit for the GG it would be interesting to see how they solved that problem.

In all the posts I've read re: early GG starting I don't remember any post indicating that anyone had no problem with cold starting.

I can always get a pretty quick start using wide open throttle but every time I start it that way I always wonder how many more times can I start it this way before the motor destroys itself on startup.

Tony
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...-swap-DRZ!!!!!

I found this thread that might be the video you were talking about but its been taken down now.
I'm not explaining the hole story with this bike, i've had lots of issues with the bike and a garage that i've been using has been pretty useless in some regards adding to my frustration with the bike.
At the moment it's leaking oil from somewhere I can't quite locate to the source but its causing the bike to smoke from somewhere behind the right foot peg, perhaps oil dripping onto the exhaust or something, i'll post a video as its quite strange. The leak has to be due to the garage who did some engine work recently and blatantly haven't put it back together right. I'm in the process of getting them to take responsibility for this but its going to be messy I fear.