Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Just throwing it out there, but some smoking could be engine oil getting past the rings, if they were worn out, then some oil would get past when they were cold, and as it heated up, they would expand and no more oil could get past. But I dont think that explains the hard starting.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin04 View Post
So your saying that the gasket could just be gone completely, instead of starting to blow with no bubbles in the radiator?No No What gets me is my oil when it's drained is totally fine, and it ONLY smokes on occasion and when I try and start cold. It looks like blue smoke sometimes too?

I mean how easily can a head gasket be blown? easliy enough my 2008 was replaced under warranty and 2 year later it gone again, i run coolant doesnt everyone?I've always kept lots of coolant in my radiators and made sure they weren't plugged up from anything. Plus I thought the gasser 4 strokes usually run cooler than others? whoever told you that is full of shit
I have already gotten my valves check and adjusted from the shop earlier this year and they investigated my head and said it looked fine, but who knows how "well" they looked and what not. Especially since it started spooging out the white gunk the ride right after I got it back from them

Anyways I might take it in again to a different local shop and have them do some investigating since I don't have much time to look at it further. Any other thoughts let me know.

Thanks guys,

Crankin04
IF there is NO bubbles in the rads the Head gasket is mostly likely ok , as soon as the gasket starts to leak, you will see bubbles in the rads.

You got your valves Checked, what did you get checked?? did they do a leakdown test?? if they did not remove the exhuast and carb/efi they did not do a leak down test. if your valves leak gases past them it Will Be Hard To Start.

Blue smoke is a sign of a warn out motor same as a car, could be piston/rings etc.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
IF there is NO bubbles in the rads the Head gasket is mostly likely ok , as soon as the gasket starts to leak, you will see bubbles in the rads.

You got your valves Checked, what did you get checked?? did they do a leakdown test?? if they did not remove the exhuast and carb/efi they did not do a leak down test. if your valves leak gases past them it Will Be Hard To Start.

Blue smoke is a sign of a warn out motor same as a car, could be piston/rings etc.
I don't know if they did a leakdown test or not. They said they just adjusted the valves that looked really tight. Inspected my head as well.

The blue/white smoke (whatever it is, can't tell the color exactly) that comes out doesn't always happen. Usually only does if I have been cracking the throttle open while using the e-start to try and get it started when cold. Sometimes it starts easy and I don't have to do any of that and no smoke at all.

The one thing that IS always consistent is white spooge out my breather tube. Sometimes it's in small amounts after a ride, and sometimes larger amounts. I put about 1800ml like the manual says after I drain my oil. I usually make sure to get out all the oil too before re-pouring new oil.

Should I do less like maybe 1600ml? Is some getting by some how? I don't notice any loss of power or bogging, and bike idles real good...
Old 07-10-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
I don't know if they did a leakdown test or not. They said they just adjusted the valves that looked really tight. Inspected my head as well. Well ask them if they did and you will know...

The blue/white smoke (whatever it is, can't tell the color exactly) that comes out doesn't always happen. Usually only does if I have been cracking the throttle open while using the e-start to try and get it started when cold. You should take it to someone how knows about bike, becuase it is obvous you dont, if the bike wont start and its turning over the smoke or whatever is unburnt fuel, that what happens when your bike doenst start... Sometimes it starts easy and I don't have to do any of that and no smoke at all.

The one thing that IS always consistent is white spooge out my breather tube. Ive alraedy told you want to look for Sometimes it's in small amounts after a ride, and sometimes larger amounts. I put about 1800ml like the manual says after I drain my oil. I usually make sure to get out all the oil too before re-pouring new oil.

Should I do less like maybe 1600ml? yeh i guess you are, how can putting in less oil stop the white goo, does putting in less stop the moisture thats mixing with the oil to turn it white?? no it doesnt, if you over fill the bike it would be black oil coming out the breather tube..Is some getting by some how? I don't notice any loss of power or bogging, and bike idles real good...
ggg
fsr450
Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
ggg
fsr450
By the way your replying to my post about my questions, you sound a bit condescending, and actually to be honest with you, kind of a DOUCHE BAG.

Thanks for all your help, I guess...

Crankin04
Old 07-14-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
By the way your replying to my post about my questions, you sound a bit condescending, and actually to be honest with you, kind of a DOUCHE BAG.

Thanks for all your help, I guess...

Crankin04
yep had a bad day on the last post, sorry for that.

The white goo could be normal it depends on your eviroment, as your bike cools down after a ride it sucks in a bit of moisture from the surrounding enviroment and then it condenses in the head/ rocker cover, when you start the bike up the moisture is released back though the breather hose, if your in a dry enviroment it must be something else. Continued hard starting is generaly low compression,valves leaking, head gasket leak, poor sealing of the rings etc.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
yep had a bad day on the last post, sorry for that.

The white goo could be normal it depends on your eviroment, as your bike cools down after a ride it sucks in a bit of moisture from the surrounding enviroment and then it condenses in the head/ rocker cover, when you start the bike up the moisture is released back though the breather hose, if your in a dry enviroment it must be something else. Continued hard starting is generaly low compression,valves leaking, head gasket leak, poor sealing of the rings etc.
No problem, thanks for letting me know about the bad day...

Well as of now, I used this stuff called Solv-tec K-Seal that is supposed to permanentaly fix small to medium sized leaks in the head, cylindar, head gasket, water pump seals, etc., and their is now no white smoke coming from my tail pipe or exahaust. BUT everytime I start my bike up a little white smoke is coming from my breather tube, then goes away once it's idling, and their's still gunk coming out of it after riding hard (it looks like a light-greenish white oil mix, instead of completely white or coffee colored or dark). I am not loosing coolant and it is not contaminated.

Would I be able to tell of some things if I take my valve cover off and look down in it?

On a good not, my bike is now officially NOT A HARD TO START BIKE anymore (knock on wood). It will start within 2 - 3 e-start revolutions everytime.

On the other hand, I drained my oil yesterday after about 100 miles on it, and it was not super dark black, but was pretty dark looking, instead of the honey type look. After that many miles is that normal? is my fuel trim set to burn too rich?

Thanks for help...

Crankin04
Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
BUT everytime I start my bike up a little white smoke is coming from my breather tube, then goes away once it's idling, and their's still gunk coming out of it after riding hard (it looks like a light-greenish white oil mix, instead of completely white or coffee colored or dark). I am not loosing coolant and it is not contaminated.
If you aren't losing coolant or engine oil I think it would be safe to say you are seeing condensation, not uncommon depending on how you store the bike, humidity in your area, etc.
Personally I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Key words would be "every time I start my bike up".. By any chance did you mean every time you start it when it's cold?

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
If you aren't losing coolant or engine oil I think it would be safe to say you are seeing condensation, not uncommon depending on how you store the bike, humidity in your area, etc.
Personally I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Key words would be "every time I start my bike up".. By any chance did you mean every time you start it when it's cold?
Thanks for the reply Jeff,

First off, I live here in the Wenatchee Valley area in Central Washington, about 2 hours from where you live in Spokane (I'm sure you've probably been over here ) and it's definitely not very humid and quite dry now that it is summer.

As the for starting, only when the engine is warm and I go to re-start it after being shut off. I don't seem to see any white smoke out of that breather when it's cold and trying to start.

I'm leaning towards condensation, even without lots of humidity and being stored in my closed garage overnight. Do you think a dirty air filter can cause stuff like this? Or maybe their's just lots of moisture in my crankcase? And as for the coolant, usually if it looks low, it's because their's some that has boiled over into the overflow bottle underneath my throttle body..

Thanks for reply!

Chris
Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
As the for starting, only when the engine is warm and I go to re-start it after being shut off. I don't seem to see any white smoke out of that breather when it's cold and trying to start.

I'm leaning towards condensation, even without lots of humidity and being stored in my closed garage overnight. Do you think a dirty air filter can cause stuff like this? Or maybe their's just lots of moisture in my crankcase?
Yeah, I would think heavy condensation would be unlikely in your area but if you aren't losing coolant it would still seem to be the culprit. If it was coolant you should be able to smell that sweet antifreeze smell if you take a whiff when you start it. I wouldn't think a dirty air filter would contribute to this.

The replies you have recieved from everyone on this post are all excellent. I think you may be missing something and may need to start over.

If you are getting that much moisture in the breather pipe it has to be either from water in the crankase (from water crossings or washing the bike) or from the coolant. If you are positive you haven't introduced water yourself then it has to be coolant. Ride it a few more times without topping off the antifreeze level so you can tell if it's going down.

Unfortunately I don't have a 4T (hopefully some day) so am limitted on my knowledge of them. There should be only 3 spots for coolant to enter your case, top cylinder gasket (head gasket), bottom cylinder gasket, and water pump seal.

Now figure out where that water is coming from, you are wasting the riding season

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)