Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
Yeah, I would think heavy condensation would be unlikely in your area but if you aren't losing coolant it would still seem to be the culprit. If it was coolant you should be able to smell that sweet antifreeze smell if you take a whiff when you start it. I wouldn't think a dirty air filter would contribute to this.

The replies you have recieved from everyone on this post are all excellent. I think you may be missing something and may need to start over.

If you are getting that much moisture in the breather pipe it has to be either from water in the crankase (from water crossings or washing the bike) or from the coolant. If you are positive you haven't introduced water yourself then it has to be coolant. Ride it a few more times without topping off the antifreeze level so you can tell if it's going down.

Unfortunately I don't have a 4T (hopefully some day) so am limitted on my knowledge of them. There should be only 3 spots for coolant to enter your case, top cylinder gasket (head gasket), bottom cylinder gasket, and water pump seal.

Now figure out where that water is coming from, you are wasting the riding season
I hear ya on wasting the riding season!

I did another oil change last night and flushed it out, then put new oil in and about 200ml less than usual and, then let the bike idle for awhile then rode for about 10 - 15 minutes around the block. No white gunk! but I will have to ride a lot longer and harder and find out.

If I still get some, then I'm gonna check water pump seals and go from there (crossing fingers).

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Chris

Old 07-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

If the water pump seals were leaking, the oil will be milky.

I think your rings are worn.
You are getting excessive blow-by past the rings.
The crank case ventilation system can't keep up, so it's blowing out the vent hose.

Coasting down long hills can cause this also.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
If the water pump seals were leaking, the oil will be milky.

I think your rings are worn.
You are getting excessive blow-by past the rings.
The crank case ventilation system can't keep up, so it's blowing out the vent hose.

Coasting down long hills can cause this also.
Well I ended up trying this water pump seal, head gasket and head cylindar leak seal stuff called Solv-Tec K-Seal and after a few days of letting it work in my coolant I think it may have sealed a leak! I am not getting any more white gunk out my breather (for now that is). I will need to do some more test rides and see how things go from here..

I'll post with an update in a week.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Crankin04