Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default I wanted a street legal 2 stroke. How I solved the problem

This is what I had to say on another forum heavily populated by orange blooded people.

I wanted a street legal 2 stroke and my minimum requirements were a 6 speed transmission and electric start. That left me with 2 options, Gas Gas and KTM.

The Gas Gas has shock linkage. Despite years of massaging the linkless design it never truly works as well as linkage. You can't duplicate what the rising rate of linkage does with gimmics. KTM defacto admitted this when they included linkage on their motocross bikes. I suspect it was a condition of Roger Decoster taking over the team 'cause he knows better. The word on the Gas Gas linkage is that it's sealed well and requires virtually no maintenance. Big win for the Gas Gas

The KTM 2t starter has issues. Although the Gas Gas starter is as yet unproven it looks like it's very stout in it's design and has no right angle drive conversion like the KTM system has. Is this a win for the Gas Gas? Probably but I'm not sure yet.

The Gas Gas comes with an FMF Q-stealth muffler which includes a US forestry approved spark arrestor. KTM dropped the spark arrestor. Win for the Gas Gas.

The Gas Gas comes with a high/low beam street legal headlight. KTM dropped the light and it wasn't legal when it had one. Win for the Gas Gas

The Gas Gas comes with a complete wiring harness to complete the street legal conversion, including brake light sensors installed on both the front and rear brakes and handlebar controls for all accessories. The only thing needed to complete the street legal conversion is a tail light, horn and a trail tech speedometer which plugs right into the existing harness. Big win for the Gas Gas.

The Gas Gas fuel tank carries the fuel lower and closer to the center of gravity of the machine which no doubt contributes to the exceptionally light feel of this bike. However, the KTM carries 1/2 gallon more fuel. 2.5 for the Gas Gas vs. 3 for the KTM. I guess it depends on what's most important to you. The Gas Gas feels like you're riding a 125 and carves like a knife in the tight technical stuff. That's subjective so I'll call it a wash. Advantage to the KTM for added fuel capacity.

Spark plug and carburetor access is significantly better on the Gas Gas, owing to some degree the slightly smaller fuel capacity but as much a function of most of the fuel being under the seat.

Nissin brakes on the Gas Gas. I don't like Brembo brakes, never did.

Ohlins shock and Marzocchi forks. I really don't know but Ohlins is supposed to be the best. So they say. The forks have titanium nitride coating on the tubes. Is that better? I don't know but the pros have it.

The pipe on the KTM hangs below the front of the frame rails, the Gas Gas pipe is about four inches higher and above the frame rails. Doesn't sound like much until you cross a few logs and mangle your pipe.

Gas Gas has a key switch and steering head lock. Good for parking your bike outside the restaurant. Not so good if you lose them I suppose.

Best looking bike on the planet. IMHO

Gas Gas about a thousand dollars cheaper than the (not so) equivalent KTM.

The only real downside to the Gas Gas that I can see is that if you need spare parts on the trail you have a much better chance of someone having what you need at the truck or in their fanny pack if you're on a KTM. Things like a shifter or brake lever.

Almost forgot to say that Rich Smith is awesome. http://www.smithspowersports.com/

http://vimeo.com/18175527

Old 12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Me too

I went back and fourth between the two for a while also, but that was only because the GG I thought I was going to buy was sold. Eventually found another one which I am told is on it's way in a crate . I am a long time Pumpkin Rider but looking fwd to trying out this Spanish wonder that everyone talks about. My wife had a GG 200 for a while, it ride very well.

Have you plated your bike yet? That will be my first priority once I get the bike being that if I am unsuccessful I may decide to sell it.

Curious what turn signals and thumbswitch you chose. There is a guy on here who apparently makes kits using Sicass's stuff that plugs right in. I am waiting to hear back from him as this sounds like a likely choice for me

J
Old 12-26-2010, 03:46 PM

The switches for lights/turn signals/horn and starter come on the bike as delivered. I probably will not install the actual turn signals since they are not technically necessary in my State.

I am transferring a plate from another bike to this one.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Congrats! I agree best looking bikes on the planet.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

another plus for the gg tank is that it allows good airflow through the radiators. I think that half of the problem behind the ktm boiling issue is that the tanks sit right behind the radiators
Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Bobt250, what pipe guard is that?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 AM

P3

I'm told that it's the best one on the market. Can't say that I agree or disagree since it's my first one. I can say that it's pretty thick.

https://pirieperfprod.com/Home_Page.html
Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks, I should get one, the fit looks very good.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 AM

Yes, the fit is very good and it's nice where the clamps go through. It has a channel for the clamp. Don't know what the others are like.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

BobT,
The linkage thing came from Stefan Everts two or three years ago. I heard he rode a linkless KTM for the first time in stadium whoops and it scared him to death!
How much does Rich pay you for that tag on you emails?
Clay