Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 AM

well got the 5.8 spring yesterday (took 3 days from italy to israel with DHL very impressed )

will give more info when i put it on and ride it during the weekend.

so far i must say the front zooks are pretty stiff and i am full open on comp, but only did 300km on the bike and i understand the break-in takes 1000-1500km on the zooks.

btw is there an option to upload a picture here?

Old 09-05-2011, 05:06 PM

You can only insert image which already have url's.
Its easier to upload to a photo hosting website like photobucket.com, or imageshack. Then copy/paste the IMG code into your post.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Not true. But there is a limit on the photo size so that the forum database size doesn't get too huge to handle.

Resize the photos so that they are about 7 by 5. I use faststone photo resizer which is free... use 72 pixels per inch...

Click on the manage attachments button below the text entry form and attach the photo to your post.

This would be the preferred method as the photo will be stored in the database for the forum and never become a "broken link" later on.

Jeff
Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Hi again

had the 5.8 rear shock spring installed today on the bike (ec300r 2011)
good thing i took the 5.8 and not the 5.6 as we had to go on max preload (10mm) to get to 35mm static sga and 110mm rider sag (still not at the 105mm) but seems ok, will have to ride it before i give impression on handling.

on the way we changed the idle jet to 42 (it was 40? for some odd reason) and bike was too lean.
and modded the rear brake pedal so it can be adjusted lower.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 AM

one note to all the guys that suggested i go with 5.6 for my weight, we checked today rider sag with full gear on and the bike with the 5.8 is still getting too much rider sag of 120mm (was 135mm with the stock 5.2s), i will try close the preload a couple mm' more but i get the feeling it won't get to 105mm on this spring with reasonable preload 10mm +/-. (maybe ill try 12 as its at 10mm now).
aiming for 110-115 as 120 seems a bit too much.

the bike handles and corners very well.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Don't get hung up on the sag #s, as long as it turns good and does not make the fork feel bad your OK. The action over small stuff will be better than with more unneccessary preload.

You really don't know exactly what you have for spring rate until you have it measured.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Don't get hung up on the sag #s, as long as it turns good and does not make the fork feel bad your OK. The action over small stuff will be better than with more unneccessary preload.

You really don't know exactly what you have for spring rate until you have it measured.
+1 The bottom line is how does it handle and is it balanced with the front.

After I set the sag I go ride and my adjust the preload a slight bit based on how the bike feels, I adjust the clickers up or down to get the desired effect and once it's all good I write down my clicker settings and go ride.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drorsdd View Post
one note to all the guys that suggested i go with 5.6 for my weight, we checked today rider sag with full gear on and the bike with the 5.8 is still getting too much rider sag of 120mm (was 135mm with the stock 5.2s), i will try close the preload a couple mm' more but i get the feeling it won't get to 105mm on this spring with reasonable preload 10mm +/-. (maybe ill try 12 as its at 10mm now).
aiming for 110-115 as 120 seems a bit too much.

the bike handles and corners very well.
What is your free (just bike) sag? With a race sag of 105mm you should have a resultant free sag of somewhere around 25mm. This is an indication you have the correct spring for your weight. For example, if you have too light a spring , you find you have to wind the preload way up to get a race sag of 105 - this will result in a free sag of much less than 25mm.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drorsdd View Post
Hi again

had the 5.8 rear shock spring installed today on the bike (ec300r 2011)
good thing i took the 5.8 and not the 5.6 as we had to go on max preload (10mm) to get to 35mm static sga and 110mm rider sag (still not at the 105mm) but seems ok, will have to ride it before i give impression on handling.

on the way we changed the idle jet to 42 (it was 40? for some odd reason) and bike was too lean.
and modded the rear brake pedal so it can be adjusted lower.
Sorry, just re-read this. You have 35mm free (static) sag. You quote having 10mm preload to achieve this - this sounds alot for that much sag. Something seems wierd...
Old 09-11-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
Sorry, just re-read this. You have 35mm free (static) sag. You quote having 10mm preload to achieve this - this sounds alot for that much sag. Something seems wierd...
i agree but this are the numbers
sprig 5.8 (original ohlins)
static sag 35mm
rider sag with full gear 120mm
preload about 12mm.

just gonna leave it as is as bike handles well on the ugly stuff, and corners very well in special tests.

one thing i changes and still need to check on the next ride is the front C&R clicks, as the front zooks are new and a bit hard, i went full open on Comp and mid range on Rebound, i think this was a wrong setting that makes the harshness even worse, so i closed Comp 4 full rounds, and closed Rebound 3 more clicks. hope this will make the front fell less hard on the ugly stuff.