Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:25 AM

Default Ride Report and some help desired.

Well I was pretty excited to get out on my 2011 200 today. My bike has been sitting for a couple of months, the topend went to eric gorr and the suspension went off to LTR. Fun was about to be had for sure.

So I put in an hour or so of riding. I liked how much faster it felt but overall I am somewhat dissapointed. A few things bother me. The bike makes alot of noise, feels like clutch noise, top end noise, and aluminum skid plate noise. The power is almost violent coming on pipe. Finally,it falls off the pipe very easily, and the low end didnt feel all that great.

During the ride all I could think is why am i struggling so much and I should sell this thing already.

I think I have a poorly adjusted powervalve for one. The spring tension is very stiff. To move the assembly requires a bit of force, the opposite of light tension imo. I thought this would be a good set up but it just comes on the pipe too hard. makes the power very on and off. great if you ride open stuff but unfortunately we dont have any open riding here.

The suspension must still need breaking in, to be honest it didnt feel that great. maybe a few more rides will break it in.

Basically I am struggling on this bike, I want it to be better. Any advice? Heres my setup:

2011 ec200 8 hours max
stock crap michelin tires
Sachs Red fork LTR
Ohlins 888 Rear shock Ltr tuned
12/51 still taller than I want. have a new 52 to try hopefully it will help???
Eric Gorr Topend, ported and head cut strictly for low end!
thinnest base gasket .015
RB Mods Carb from my old 2010 ec300
Jetting: CCK needle, 40 pilot, forgot the main. she runs good jetting wise.
I put vforce reeds in place of the gasgas unit and removed the spacer.
this made the bike a little easier to ride our trails.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 AM

Jetting has a lot to do with how the power comes on and how much low end you have. More than likely the jetting from a 300 will not work on a 200.
A very fast friend on mine with his 2010 200 runs a 178-175 main, NOZI (KTM) needle, 45 pilot. This didn't work for my 200 because I have the old airstriker carb.
The stock 2k3 stator/flywheel combo is too heavy imo for the 200, and if you get the chance, swapping for the 2k2 really makes the engine more responsive all over.
You could investigate the PV mechanism too see if there's something funny going on to make it heavy but its usually just the preload which is sometimes off from factory.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Noobi isn't a noob when it comes to Gas Gas.

Few Questions
Did you send the top end to Gorr to address this issue?
What other jetting combinations if any have you tried?
Have you started the bike with the RHS powervalve cover off to see if its operating properly while running on the stand?

I've got no experience at all when it comes to the 200's or even the 250's but I have played with my 300 more than a teenager plays with themselves. Jetting (needle and clip position in particular) have profound effects on the power and power delivery. I can change my 300 from a real ballsy low to mid grunter that signs off up top to something that feels almost 125 like. The engines like to run a bit richer to produce smooth torquey power and I have noticed the CCK has a long straight diameter so depending on what clip you run it on it could be running a bit lean right up to 1/4 throttle. I'd definately try a few other needles to compare. What jetting did Gorr recommend with this new work??
Old 11-08-2011, 07:02 AM

One thing, you said you dont like the hit but removed the spacer. Removing the spacer does exactly that...makes it hit harder. I would suggest putting the spacer back in place with the vforce reeds. Also that gearing seams really really low, would make the power come on hard...and you want it even lower with a 52 tooth??? seams like that would make your issues worse..but im not as familiar with the 200. Also try playing with the powervalve adjustment, that will make a big difference.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Why did you send it to Eric Gorr? Did you ride it stock for any time? Now that it has been ported I think you are in uncharted territory. A simple head mod by RBD would have been a lot of bang per buck. Those here that have set them up like this have been quite happy.

Don't ever pull on the PV rod and manually move the governer. Balls can be dislodged and the PV will not return fully closed.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

You probably made too many changes at once.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
You probably made too many changes at once.
Touche

Its like you've tuned it for more but are asking for less? A 200 by nature will be more of a revver than the 300 counter part. By porting, removing the reed block spacer, tightening the squish down, removing base gaskets, etc you have been adding more snap/hit to the delivery. Some probably at the expense of the top end, which is why you may have found yourself with a relatively narrow power band, which will be exaberated by running the short gear ratio.

All you really needed was a powervalve cover, tighten squish to 1.4-1.8mm, time the ports with the top of the piston at BDC, jet it up and ride the pants off it.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 AM

It seems that you have kind of answered your own questions to a point. I have a 200 and have made a few small changes to smooth it out and make it more rideable for my son. IMO the 2k2 without any flywheel weight is a bit tricky on hills and in the tight stuff because if you don't stay on the pipe and lift for a split second you have to use a lot of clutch to get back in the power. An A rider who is a master at clutch control would like the quick revving 2k2 but I did the following to smooth things out and make it better in the tight single track. I have the 2k2 ignition with a small diameter 12oz. flywheel weight that replaces the crankshaft nut. It really evened out the power on my 200. When I bought my bike it had 12:53 gearing and I'm using 13:50 now and the bike really is smooth and rideable in the tight stuff. I think doing the head mod would improve it to the perfect set up for a 200 so when my son gets to be a better rider and starts asking for more power that will be the next step.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM

1 thing I noticed is....a bigger carb is going to take away your low end and put it all on top....you had it ported for low end and put a carb for top end on it....hmmmm

suspension is goig to take some geting use to and breaking in...i always start all the way soft until it really start moving freely then start stiffening it....
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Site Sponsor

12/51 is really crazy... 13/50 would tame it alot.
as would:
2k2 + 9oz(or more) fww
add carb spacer back in.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com