Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:33 AM

Default Upgrading 2005 to 2014 Questions

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new 2014 EC300 to replace my 2005 EC300 and have some questions:

1 - Is the e start reliable on the 14MY bikes - I rode an estart bike (don't know what year) but it would only engage 50% of the time.

2 - Does the standard model have high speed compression damping on the rear shock

3 - Is the suspension upto par with my '05 ohlins + coated Marzocchi's? (for a clubman rider)

4 - Is the fit of the rad panels fixed - my '05 has issues with the screws coming out - also how is the fit and finish generally? The e start 300 i rode had a problem with the kick stand going up outside the rear panel and I don't think that panel was staying in place properly - that seems poor but I've also seen issues on 1-2 year old KTM's with panels not fitting properly....

5 -On my '05 I can access the carb jets by unscrewing the carb cap and rotating the carb still in the bike - I can change a jet in 2 min, is this possible on the newer bikes?

Any other differences good or bad?

Would it be worth paying 10-20% more for a 15 model year (I guess not?)

My '05 is amazing to ride it's just needs a lot of fit and finish type issues fixing which means very high maintenance times so I want something I can just get on and ride.

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 AM

In a similar situation, having thought about upgrading to a new bike, I decided to stick with the old '06. I'll maybe reconsider in the future if Gas Gas produce a two stroke electric start as reliable as Beta or Sherco. If I lived somewhere like the states, with access to decent public riding grounds, it might be a different case, but with the only decent riding on practice days or races, it's too expensive and too far to travel from the midlands to ride regularly and get the use out of a newer machine. More or less given up on green laning - it's too much ballache these days for the sake of riding along a few farm tracks. I'd be more prepared to upgrade the trials bike because I have access to a local practice ground for 50 pounds a year and know there will be a trial on more less every Sunday of the year within an hour's drive. Even with a new enduro bike, there's still a lot of maintenance to do, just fewer failures due to fatigue.

I think the side stand closing on the wrong side of the panel is normally due to the mounting tab on the subframe getting bent. Are the 2014 GG sold with with sachs suspension ? I know a beta owner who rarely races these days, but was that disappointed with the Sachs shock, he still found the cost and work to replace it with a KYB worthwhile.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 AM

I was just going over some of the things I like about the '14 with another member here, this is what I wrote
Quote:
For dirt I have two 90's 550 singles, one is built (70 rwhp) the other is stock. They're great in the desert but get tough in the tight stuff. Bought a DE 300 ('04) and built the motor, loved the handling and how clean the power was (corrected squish and port height). Then got a plated '07 EC 300, better than the '04 but heavier due to the electrical stuff; a good bike but I didn't like the 45 'zokes so I put in some Showas. Still tuning them but they seem way better so far.
The '14 is just amazingly better than either one, light feeling (almost like a friend's 2002 KTM 200) with good suspension (need to keep tuning it but not broken in completely yet). Clutch feels very exact and tight, brakes are excellent (fronts even more so) and the motor is sooo good. It burbles a little soft down low then starts to pull hard at about 1/4 on up, it's the only small bore I've almost had whiskey throttle on (had it with the 550's but they are monsters). It really feels like a do-it-all bike, plan to run some enduros with it later this year. Only things I've put on it are rad guards, pipe protector and hand guards. Ordered some other needles to play with just from the reviews here, we'll see how they are. I have a buddy with a '13 KTM 300 exc, can't wait to get out and ride them back to back, I'm 235 with gear and 6'4" so had to re-spring
Rear end is a Reiger shock with LS adjustment (if it has HS I haven't found it yet)
Front forks are great so far but are just broken in at this point.
Only thing keeping you from turning the carb are the overflow line tabs that bolt to the bowl, they hit the case or shock spring but can be moved/bent to make it work.
Fit and finish on mine is excellent, side stand sits where it should and has a rubber leash to lock it up if riding for an extended time.
I have the kick only model and it starts super easy, I can't imagine wanting or having the battery weight with that funky starter, my .02 anyways.
The '15 has an adjustable spring for the power valve, that's the main difference; thought it would be good to have but am not missing it so far.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 AM

I have one ride on my 14 300 estart. I did adjust the clickers to just 2 clicks soft of middle click on compression on forks and shock for somewhere to start. Set in about 3 inches of sag to rear shock and went riding.

My impression: Forks are nice improvement over the 45's on my 2011. I can live with them this way right off the bat where the 45s were new, were pushing in the turns. I got them better after awhile but the new 48's feel very close from the get go. It surprised me. The shock also is in the close proximity of where it should be for me.

Power wise, I was glad to see that it hadn't changed. Its a magic motor. No vibration and grunts to the moon and back. Of course that grunt makes the clutch squeal but nothing real bad and no worse than other years.

Brakes, always been excellent. Cannot find a fault for the brakes. Stops on a dime and asks for 9 cents change.

Not big on having a battery.....the only minus I see with the package is battery placement. Its probably the only logical place for it but it still sux.

I like the whole package though.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 PM

1 - Is the e start reliable on the 14MY bikes - I rode an estart bike (don't know what year) but it would only engage 50% of the time.

I don't think it improved much in 2014. My 2013 is finicky and has the same estart setup. You have to hit the button just right, although it almost always starts. The 15 is different and I haven't heard any feedback yet, but I don't see how it could get worse.

4 - Is the fit of the rad panels fixed - my '05 has issues with the screws coming out - also how is the fit and finish generally? The e start 300 i rode had a problem with the kick stand going up outside the rear panel and I don't think that panel was staying in place properly - that seems poor but I've also seen issues on 1-2 year old KTM's with panels not fitting properly....

The '14 radiator panels are still pretty janky in my opinion. The top just pushes into a rubber grommet and the bottom screws into a plastic receiver that is practically seized from the factory. I bought an aluminum replacement from Halls for my 2013 and 2014 but have yet to install them. At the very least, anti-seize as soon as you get the bike. Make good choices on radiator guards too, because if you're radiators get bent, then the side panel problem gets even worse.

5 -On my '05 I can access the carb jets by unscrewing the carb cap and rotating the carb still in the bike - I can change a jet in 2 min, is this possible on the newer bikes?

It's a little tight in there. We've always removed the tank, but a more determined person might be able to pull it off.

Never ridden a Gas Gas older than 2011, so I can't really compare too well, but I can say that the difference between 2013 and 2014 was quite big IMO. Weight, subframe all noticeably different.

When I got the '14 200, I went without e-start. If I were getting an e-start model, I would definitely wait for the 2015 and pay a little more. I think you can upgrade the 14 to 15 starter components, but that's a pretty penny right there. Just get it right out of the box and then benefit from the other improvements as well.

All opinion, of course.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new 2014 EC300 to replace my 2005 EC300 and have some questions:

I have a kick only

2 - Does the standard model have high speed compression damping on the rear shock

no, you have to buy the factory replica

3 - Is the suspension upto par with my '05 ohlins + coated Marzocchi's? (for a clubman rider)

This is my first Gas Gas, but the suspension is better than the KYB's on my 2014 Husky TXC310R. This is the first suspension I have road stock that I feel I would not have to change. It is great in my opinion.

I remove my kick stands on all my bikes, but there is rubber band to hold it in place

I remove the tank, but you are talking 5 bolts. I takes me all of 5 min and can be done on the trail no problem

This is my first Gasser but it already is the best bike I think I have ever owned (2000 KDX200, 2002 YZ250, 2013 Husky TXC310R)

We'll you get adjustable power valve, lighter chassis, and revised e-start to name a few. this is personal choice, but the deals on the 14's are hard to pass up...I couldn't.

My '05 is amazing to ride it's just needs a lot of fit and finish type issues fixing which means very high maintenance times so I want something I can just get on and ride.
Fit and finish on this bike is the best out of all the bikes I previously mention. Handling and power are a dream, I am SO stoked and I got mine for under $6000, so it was a no brainer.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:22 PM

Default Keep 'em coming

Thanks for all the replies so far - I still don't know what to do...

The e start not working 100% and lack of compression damping is definitely worrying me..

Any thoughts on this bike vs a 2nd hand KTM 350 EXCF?

Would the ohlins from my '05 fit a 2014 bike??
Old 01-27-2015, 03:30 PM

I've really enjoyed the Marzocchi/Reiger combo on the 2014, but I'm not one of those people that is SUPER tuned into their suspension. The Reiger shock on my 2014 seems to work better for me than the 2013 Ohlins did.

And for the record, my 2013 has never failed to electric start except for a few times that actually weren't related to the starter itself (one was the relay, one was a break in the wiring harness and one was a failed key switch). Richard Wilson at House of Horsepower has some sort of shimming trick, but I have yet to need to do it.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I've really enjoyed the Marzocchi/Reiger combo on the 2014, but I'm not one of those people that is SUPER tuned into their suspension. The Reiger shock on my 2014 seems to work better for me than the 2013 Ohlins did.

And for the record, my 2013 has never failed to electric start except for a few times that actually weren't related to the starter itself (one was the relay, one was a break in the wiring harness and one was a failed key switch). Richard Wilson at House of Horsepower has some sort of shimming trick, but I have yet to need to do it.
I'm looking at the cheaper standard model not the racing (that's quite a bit more ???) so it has the sachs shock not the reiger...

Also to set up my '05 I adjusted the high speed compression nearly all the way off and it works beautifully - the standard model won't have the HS compression... I like my bikes very soft...
Old 01-28-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
I'm looking at the cheaper standard model not the racing (that's quite a bit more ???) so it has the sachs shock not the reiger...

Also to set up my '05 I adjusted the high speed compression nearly all the way off and it works beautifully - the standard model won't have the HS compression... I like my bikes very soft...
In the US they only import the racing model.