Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Default Crashing sucks...

Car crashing that is.

I was on highway99 about 600 miles from home near yuba city, california when a guy pulled out from a parkiing lot. I hit him at 25 to 30 and spun him a tad. No airbag deployment but now waiting to see what comes next for my wifes new vw golf tdi.

My 76 year old mother and my daughter took an ambulance ride and are doing fine now....

The guy who hit me was pretty decent about it being very concerned for my family and admitted fault.

I am now wondering if i can get my disabled car hauled home to fix it there. Otherwise i have to pick a place to fix it down here and come back and get it later. Does anyone have experience with car crashes away from home? I cant talk to the insurance adjuster until tomorrow am....

Jeff
Webmaster

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Great to see everyone is OK.

Being 600 miles from home will cost a fortune to tow the car. The insurance company will pay for your overnight stay at a hotel, plus the rental car to get home.
Maybe you can rent a truck and trailer to tow the car home.

Hopefully you have a police report. People WILL change their story when the insurance company gets involved.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

this is texas laws.. my wife is a ins claims adjuster.. no telling what you are going to get into in cali.. this is where she took over typing for me... i was too slow..

they will tow it to the nearest rep facility.. they should provide you with a rental to get home. Once the car is fixed they should get you back to pick it up. They should also keep you in the rental until the car is fixed. In Texas they only owe for transportation so they usually allow $20 a day on rental. Sometimes that can change but that is the norm. All they owe you is back where you were before the accident occured.

They will also be responsible for any medical that you incurred, so don't be in a hurry to sign any releases for bodily injury until you are sure that everyone is OK.

They can also be ask to consider any extra expense that you might have inccured, like if you had to stay an extra night there due to injuries or getting a rental to go home in... prescripts etc.... things of that nature.

Keep all your receipts...
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Glad to see no one hurt, they are always scary.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Great to see everyone is OK.

Being 600 miles from home will cost a fortune to tow the car. The insurance company will pay for your overnight stay at a hotel, plus the rental car to get home.
Maybe you can rent a truck and trailer to tow the car home.

Hopefully you have a police report. People WILL change their story when the insurance company gets involved.
Thanks Girard
Yep - had two sheriffs there. And I told the sheriff that he admitted fault and the sheriff confirmed the same and replied "yep, he said he didn't see you". The sheriff gave me his business card with the accident report number.

thanks
jeff
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendr3702 View Post
this is texas laws.. my wife is a ins claims adjuster.. no telling what you are going to get into in cali.. this is where she took over typing for me... i was too slow..

they will tow it to the nearest rep facility.. they should provide you with a rental to get home. Once the car is fixed they should get you back to pick it up. They should also keep you in the rental until the car is fixed. In Texas they only owe for transportation so they usually allow $20 a day on rental. Sometimes that can change but that is the norm. All they owe you is back where you were before the accident occured.

They will also be responsible for any medical that you incurred, so don't be in a hurry to sign any releases for bodily injury until you are sure that everyone is OK.

They can also be ask to consider any extra expense that you might have inccured, like if you had to stay an extra night there due to injuries or getting a rental to go home in... prescripts etc.... things of that nature.

Keep all your receipts...
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Thanks,
jeff
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 AM

Wow Jeff, glad your OK. I once had an accident in a highly customized Toyota 4x4. I didn't want just anyone to work on it so I had it flat bedded home over 200 miles, but that was when gas was $1/gal. Being you don't know much about the local repair establishments, maybe its best to seek out a VW dealer with collision repair shop on site.

Write down everything in explicit detail, as time has a way of blurring things.

This is the kind of thing that makes me not miss riding the street much. I had such great times doing weeked trips with my brother and friends to the NY state and VT mountains, but an incident like this I would not be able to report.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

If they wont take it to Or, have them take it to Duanes Body and Paint in Sacramento. Very good reputation and previous and current owner are riders.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

That sucks. Glad to hear everyone is OK.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Get a good lawyer,, you may not need it but you may.. You never know what comes up. In Pa they have to supply you with a rental equal to your car.. suv for suv etc.. good luck! I went through a bad one 5 years ago.. I'm still paying med expenses as the other driver who was at fault had almost no coverage and owned nothing so there was nothing to sue for.. I had to go after my own ins co for underinsured coverage and it still didnt cover my expenses..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone