Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:30 PM

Default 97 blew the head gasket?

Had my old 97 out today for its first ride in 5-6 years,, and first hard ride in 7 years.. Had my 03 and its been in storage since.. one time it was out 5 years ago as a loaner who rode it so lightly it never came out of second gear all day.. So about a mile into the first trail a hard uphill rocky straight up loose it boils over a little.. I think odd,, cool her down and charge the hill again.. power loss in the middle of the hill like the gas was turned off.. I stopped.. boiling again.. let her cool.. started her up and from mid hill chugged hard right to the top mostly on the back wheel like she wants to go play.. next 3 miles she stalls a few times and seams hot.. then boils over again.. I'm thinking??? its hot 96+ out today,, my dash on the jeep says 98 in the shade.. So I call it a day.. Go back to the jeep baby her down,, mostly all down hill back 3+ miles.. take her home.. Plug looks good. dark coffee.. not really thinking lean,, oil looks good,, coolant looks good.. new plug take her for a spin recheck jetting looks ok..
Now later she is cooled off,, I run her around the yard and almost right away overflow hose is running on the pipe.. I pull the cap,, check if the caps bad.. but run her with no cap.. FOAM,, right away and pouring out the rad.. I'm sure its blown a head o-ring.. Gotta find the box,, I god a bin of these somewhere.. so what did you do on this hot sunday??
I'm going to run out to the sixpack shop on the 625...

03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone

Old 07-18-2010, 02:20 PM

Orings may be shot from sitting so long if it was OK before, otherwise one got pinched. Make sure there is no coolant in the lower end before putting the bike away or could be bye bye bearings.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

The plastic gears that turn the water pump may be stripped.
No coolant flow will cause the boiling over.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Steve,

That too or a bad impeller but if it blows coolant bubbles when relatively cool its probably the orings. If it is the impeller/gears now its likely the orings as well since it overheated a few times. This happened on the 125 when we got it, the orings were overheated and broken down, and the bike blew coolant after running for a very short time.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

You can buy a tool to verify that the head gaskets are leaking. The blue fluid turns yellow if there's combustion gasses present.
It would be wise to verify that first before tearing the motor apart.

I have one, but I'm 1,000 miles away.

http://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-C.../dp/B000NPDL76

Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 PM

I think I have that same kit at work,, I'll be bring it home to verify.. I got lots of flowing thru the radiator.. just lots of foam too.. I ran the sandy lane enduro and 1-2 other 30-40 mile ride since a complete top & bottom rebuild then it sat.. I'll be playing with it this week.. They ended up doing the easier trails,, I should have taken the 625,, I could have ran it thru all of them,, but I wouldnt have know about the headgasket either..
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 AM

If its bad enough that it foams immediately you should be able to smell it and see some oil contamination, that was the case with the 125.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 AM

If it immediately makes pressure in the cooling system before it has a chance to heat up it must be pressure from combustion most likely "O" rings. A simple way to verify this is with engine cold remove radiator cap to make sure there is no pressure then replace rad cap and start the engine, rev it a couple of quick hard snap throttle blips, then shut the engine off(still cold) now check if cooling system is under pressure. If pressure exists it must be from combustion.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM

The 97 runs once again! HEad was machined by my buddy Mike at Cycleplayground in Dupont Pa.. Ran her around the yard for 20 minutes today until my back just could not take anymore. A oxy and a 10 minute rest ran her for another 15 minutes.. seams to run well.. not running too hot, which is good considering the ethanol fuel.. makes all small engines run 10-20% hotter.. Now,, continue the rebuild or sell her??? Anybody interested in a CB 250? street titled? Might be selling her and my pumpkin for a street ride.. till the back heals enough for dirt again..
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 AM

If you do get something with good rear suspension. Some of the worst jolts I've taken were on my Duc. Fork was rough too but it would wheelie over stuff easy enough. I did a lot of street the year I was out with the collarbone. Just be carefull!