Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Default 2006 EC250 Clutch Cover Gasket Replacement

Recently had complete rebuild done on the motor (top and bottom). After about 2 hours ride time I noticed oil leaking from bottom of the motor and discovered most of the bolts holding the clutch cover on were loose. I'm talking about the bolts that hold on GasGas part #ME250544100 NOT the cover you remove to access the clutch plates.

I tightened all bolts but the leak is still there. Assumed the gasket is ruined/pinched so I got a new one from GoFasters (part #ME25644002).

My question is how complicated will this replacement be for a VERY non mechanically inclined person? Is this a full blown "splitting the cases" type job that should be done by a shop? Can it be done without removing the engine from the frame?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Yes it can be done without removing the engine, and no its not a full blown case splitting bike in pieces job.

I think you mean the case that the kickstart is in?

If so, this is how I did it.

You need to drain the oil, drain the coolant, remove radiator hose on that side, remove kickstart, remove water pump cover, ( some one will chime in on this part im sure, I think you can just leave the water pump impeller as it is, ie, dont try and undo it, because iirc its held between the case your going to remove, and not attached the main cases ) and undo all the bolts that hold that case cover on.
It may be difficult to remove the case, as there are dowels at either end for lining the gasket and case up correctly, but be patient and try and rock it off gently, try to resist the urge to lever it off with a screw driver, you may damage the gasket surface.
But once its off, its pretty straight forward to put back together, remove the dowels if they are in the case cover you removed, put them back in the main case, put your gasket on, the dowels help this like I said, everything should line up, if it doesnt, you can superglue the gasket so all the bolt holes line up. Then put the case on the dowels, gently press the case on, you may need to giggle the impeller so the drive gear from the crank and the impeller mesh properly, and then put the case bolts back in, I think there are different length bolts, so if you loose track of what goes where, every bolt when placed in each hole, and not tightened at all, should be exposed by the same amount, if one bolt head is resting on the case and one is stuck out by an inch, you should realise that their in the wrong place.

Then replace water pump cover and gasket, kickstart, and radiator hose, add oil and coolant, and you should be good to go.

If your just careful with what you do, and do things logically and with a bit of common sense, you'll be fine.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Yup, that's about it.

While you have the cover off, look at the bearings that are in the case and in the cover you are pulling off where the water pump is. Pull the circlip behind the nylon gear and look at the shaft and pin that goes through the cover.

Just a thought, since I just recovered from an Impeller shaft failure at the pin.