Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Default crankshaft repair or replace?

hi i am a newbie,so go easy on me if i don't know the correct words/names

6 days ago i bought a gasgas ec250,3 days later the lights packed up so i parked it up till this weekend to sort it out.

Anyway Saturday i took it a quick ride 2/3 miles to a mates and it stopped running......almost like running out of petrol,i knew it was worse though because the kick start was rock solid.

anyhow a mate picked me up and i proceeded to strip the engine,what i have found isn't pretty....where the stator/magneto(is that the name?)anyway the electric bits bolt to the end of the crankshaft......they have sheared off taking the end of the crank with it.

Anyhow i know of a very very good place for crankshaft repairs and i am going to try them when they open Monday.....but was just wondering.....do any of you have any idea how much a new one would be? as i really don't like the idea of a repair.

thanks in advance for any help you can give

cheers Dave

Old 06-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davers View Post
anyhow a mate picked me up and i proceeded to strip the engine,what i have found isn't pretty....where the stator/magneto(is that the name?)anyway the electric bits bolt to the end of the crankshaft......they have sheared off taking the end of the crank with it.
Wow never heard of that happening before on any bike. Am I hearing this correctly - the end of the crank has sheared off? I wonder what the hell happened to cause that?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:10 PM

If thats the case repair is not an option.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:20 AM

A Polaris snowmobile I had did the same thing, but it was a twin so the crank was much more expensive. I picked up a used one for $100 and had a reputable machine shop rebuild it (new bearings and balance) for $150. If your connecting rod is still good try to find a used crank on this site or ebay.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 AM

A new GG crank assy is not cheap. Look for a part out bike. Find something with good bearing journals and have it rebuilt with a new rod kit and your good to go.

Thats a weird failure. Did the flywheel come loose and tear the end of the crank up? Stator OK?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 AM

hmm stator looks okay,no idea till crank is sorted and running.

flywheel didnt come loose,looks to me as though someone overtightened the nut on the end weakening it all.

crank assembly is cheaper than i thought...but still not cheap,guess it works out to about $500.

on the plus side ive found somewhere that does repairs and also builds there own cranks,they have asked me to take it down to see what they can do for me.....will post pictures and keep you informed of the progress.