Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Default What bike to buy DE or MC250?

I know the De and MC250 have almost the same engine, I was pretty much convinced I wanted the MC250, but I talked to tow dealers today that each have a DE250, and they tried to convince me the DE250 was a better bike. Other people have told me the MC has a lighting coil, but it's not hooked up, but I was told different today. I also heard that the duel map ignition on the DE250 made little difference in switch position, while the 300 made a big difference, but I was told different today..

I was also told today that the DE300 will rev up as quickly as the DE250, which I always heard the opposite. I'm looking for a play bike that has a good two stroke hit, revs high, and is just fun to play with. My other playbike is a cr500, but it's hard to flick it around, so I want something a little more friendly, but not tame.Everything I was told today was contrary to what months of research have told me.

I know the DE250 motor can be turned into the MC250 motor without too much trouble, and if the MC250 has a lighting coil not hooked up, it wouldn't be hard and less expensive to put lights on the MC. The woods I ride are pretty wide national forest man made trails, sometimes pretty challenging and tight on a 500, mostly second and third gear stuff, but an occassional 4th gear straight and WFO 90mph fireroad.

Is anybody able to straighten out this misinformation I was given and make a recommendation on which 250 I should go with?

Old 10-09-2006, 08:18 PM

The MC will probably come with 50mm forks, and a more aggressivly mapped CDI. There is also no counterweight behind the primary pinion. Not sure about the springs but I would guess stiffer. For any woods work the DE is the ticket. The thing about these bikes is with a little work you can make them run like you want. You want hit in the DE250, get an MC CDI, or one from a DE200. Want it a bit smoother, add a 10 or 14 oz weight. I guarentee you would have no problem trading a forum member that stock dual map CDI for a DE/EC 200 or older XC250 unit.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:18 AM

Default 250 vs 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The MC will probably come with 50mm forks, and a more aggressivly mapped CDI. There is also no counterweight behind the primary pinion. Not sure about the springs but I would guess stiffer. For any woods work the DE is the ticket. The thing about these bikes is with a little work you can make them run like you want. You want hit in the DE250, get an MC CDI, or one from a DE200. Want it a bit smoother, add a 10 or 14 oz weight. I guarentee you would have no problem trading a forum member that stock dual map CDI for a DE/EC 200 or older XC250 unit.

I know the DE comes with 45mm forks. When you say stiffer springs were you refering to the MC or DE. I do like a stiff setup. I was told that the 45mm performed better except for motocross purposes.

Are you familiar with the DE300? I heard it was super linear, which was what I didn't like about the KTM 300xcw I had, but the duel map makes quite a difference, where it is not as noticable on the 250. I also heard the 300 doesn't is rev up as quickly even though it shares the same crank, flywheel. etc. I've also read many times that the 250 was a more fun bike to ride just because it was more revable. Do you have any input on this?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM

My buddy is (was?) sponsored by GG to run the National Enduro Series.

GG gave him an 06 MC250 and an EC300. After riding several events comparing the 2 bikes, he ended up putting the MC250 motor in the EC300 chassis and loves the bike.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Site Sponsor

We actually take it one step further and build a hybrid 300MC.

We start with a 250MC and bolt on a 300 cylinder, head and piston. This broadens out the power delivery while still giving a descent hit.

Then you play with a G2 camed throttle to fine tune the power delivery for the track or trail conditions.

Dirt Bike's Tom Webb rode one last year and was all smiles.

Mind you the bikes not a tight woods machine but it's awesome on any MX track or GNCC style event, especially for the A and AA riders who favor a hard hitting machine.

We've talked to the factory about building them for the US market but managments not interested.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 10-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a "Go Fasters Edition" 300.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Site Sponsor

We've presently got orders for three of them.

Just waiting for the MCs to hit the shores.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 10-29-2006, 07:50 PM

Default duel sport mc250

Just got a 05 MC250. Sweet bike. I'm actually going to put it on the road if things work out. Not as trans, just to ride to the ride. Lots of unmarked and ungated power line and utility trails.