Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypipo View Post
I?m a little confused about how to do the rear wheel. There seems to be another sleeve that is inside the inner race... is this actually attached to the bearing or is it a separate peice? It appears to be 3 sections. One inside each bearing and then a spacer.
If I remember correctly, there are two bearings on the sprocket side, and a circlip retainer on the brake side. Remove the circlip and tap out the brake side bearing using a drift inserted from the sprocket side, and the center spacer will fall out. Then tap out the two bearings on the sprocket side from the brake side. I recommend searching youtube for demonstrations before you get in too deep, jut to make sure that you are going the right direction.

Use a heat gun/hair dryer/propane torch (with caution) to warm the hub before removing the bearings. A little heat helps a lot.

Before you go to install your new bearings, put them in the freezer over night so they shrink a touch. Then warm up the hub just before installation and they should slide in (or go in with a couple of taps). Again, youtube for demonstrations.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:57 PM

And don't forget the spacer tube when you knock the new bearings in! Line it up before you fully seat the last bearing.

It's a major sickening feeling when you look round and the spacer tube is still on the bench!

Be careful not to damage the new bearings when you knock them in. I use a socket reversed on an old socket extension so the flat side covers the width and spreads the load.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
And don't forget the spacer tube when you knock the new bearings in! Line it up before you fully seat the last bearing.

It's a major sickening feeling when you look round and the spacer tube is still on the bench!

Be careful not to damage the new bearings when you knock them in. I use a socket reversed on an old socket extension so the flat side covers the width and spreads the load.
This. Work around the outer bearing race gently allowing it to drop in level. Don't want to put any axial force into the inner race.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:17 PM

This is the peice I?m still confused about. It is not in any demonstrations I have watched. It is not the spacer between the bearings. It is a hollow peice, inside the bearings, that the axle slides through. It is between the axle and the bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E0688397-6D27-4679-A845-B0452A83C7D5.jpg (111.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

I take it that is the sprocket side. As others have mentioned, you have 2 bearings with a spacer between them on this side. That is probably what you are seeing. The axle runs through the spacer and on the inner race of the inside bearing. The outer spacer is turned down and runs on the inner race of the outer bearing.

Looking at the diagrams can help too! See item 33 on the attached image. The 2 bearings and washer between will all push out together when driven from the other side.

Note: The other side with the single bearing (same as item 16) is retained with a circlip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (67.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

PS. Note the orientation of part 33 when you take it out. It has a stepped ledge on it. Needs to go in the right way or it'll bind your bearings up when you torque the axle nut down.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypipo View Post
This is the peice I?m still confused about. It is not in any demonstrations I have watched. It is not the spacer between the bearings. It is a hollow peice, inside the bearings, that the axle slides through. It is between the axle and the bearings.
You are looking at the outer bearing, which is most obvious. What isn't obvious is that the inner "spacer" is the inner race of the inside bearing. You drive the inside bearing out from the other side, and that pushes the outside bearing out as well. Note that there is a spacer between the two bearings on the sprocket side.

Look at the spacer from the sprocket side: It is stepped (or should be). The skinniest part of the spacer fits inside of the inner race of the inner bearing, and the wider portion fits into the inner race of the outer bearing. Look at the diagram that Jakobi posted; that should help identify the parts in the hub.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM

I see now. Thanks for clearing it up.
Anybody know what size drift pin I should buy?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. After getting my tools out and doing it I realize how stupid my questions were. Two more stupid questions... on the spacer there is a foam ring that is glued to it...is this just to help keep the spacer centered when removing and installing bearings?
Also I took the 2 bearings out on the sprocket side first and the spacer came out. When I flipped it over to do the rotor side I put the punch on the inside of the surface that the bearing mounts to instead of the bearing. It took a a small chip out of this surface. It is not on a surface that the bearing will touch. I do not think any parts wil touch it but I just want to make sure that nothing will be messed up. I am going to take a file and smooth it out. Before putting the new bearings in. Will it effect anything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2BD3024D-104B-4CBC-8A97-1EBEB338A014.jpg (65.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 99F72B43-9A92-4BCF-A602-65AE3ADD585F.jpg (87.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing to worry about there mate!