Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:36 PM

Default Best GG mod for under $10

I can''t take credit for this, another member (Liamthon) posted this mod with good pictures but it may not have gotten the attention it deserves. This is a must do on any gassers 2011 or older. The carb/air filter boot gets hard over time and even when new doesn't fit very well on the rear of the carb. This can cause frustration (best case) or unfiltered air (worst case) getting into your carb. The stock hose clamp will often pull the boot off the back of the carb when tightened. I suspect the boot is an unchanged design which is a problem since many older gassers had a carb spacer and some (mine) don't. The too-short design of the boot leaves constant tension on the hose clamp. This mod adds about 5/8" inch length to the boot so it puts slight tension against the carb instead of pulling on it.
The mod : I used the same part as Liamthon but got mine from plumbing supply for under $8. I cut the big end down to where there was 11/16" - 7/8" lip to fit over the rear of the carb. I also cut a ring off the front of the boot that measures 3/16' - 7/16 wide (see pics). On assembly I used the new hose clamp at the carb because an 8mm socket works on it. The photo with the carb in it shows why I cut the coupler at a slight angle - It allows the coupler to slide fully onto the carb and cover that small ridge in cast into the back of the carb.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...=16277&page=81
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050963.jpg (122.8 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg P1050964.jpg (120.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg P1050967.jpg (111.3 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg P1050962.jpg (125.0 KB, 248 views)

Old 04-30-2015, 04:04 PM

I understand the problem of the poor fitting airbox boot. Your hose clamp to hold the boot on the plumbing adapter is fine. How does the fairly solid plumbing adapter seal tightly to the back of the carb? Just a press fit with no hose clamp? Or is your picture missing the clamp?
Old 04-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
I understand the problem of the poor fitting airbox boot. Your hose clamp to hold the boot on the plumbing adapter is fine. How does the fairly solid plumbing adapter seal tightly to the back of the carb? Just a press fit with no hose clamp? Or is your picture missing the clamp?
On mine i have a hose clamp over the carb, but it is might be overkill, i just figured i mine as well use the clamp

Also glad i could help

last a razer blade cuts that rubber like butter, 3 passes and it becomes supper a supper clean cut.

Last edited by liamthom; 04-30-2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: cutting tips, be careful. yet still poor understanding and reading skills
Old 05-01-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
I took the pic before I installed the clamp. The plumbing connector is a good and easy fit on the rear of the carb. I did not get my part from Lowes because our local Lowes now has these connectors in a gray color and they seem a little too soft. That's why I paid a little more and got it from plumbing supply. The peace of mind I now have that no unfiltered air is getting to my motor is priceless.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:01 PM

Has anybody tried this on the newer bikes? I have a 2013 that is suffering from this issue, and I may attempt this mod. Would be MUCH cheaper than buying a new airbooT!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I've found dropping the whole air boot into a bucket of hot/warm water works a treat to soften it up and allow you to reshape it to fit better.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post
Has anybody tried this on the newer bikes? I have a 2013 that is suffering from this issue, and I may attempt this mod. Would be MUCH cheaper than buying a new airbooT!
Maybe yours has the wrong boot? On my '12 it's pretty tight in there. You have to tilt the subframe up to get the carb in and out......
Old 03-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
Maybe yours has the wrong boot? On my '12 it's pretty tight in there. You have to tilt the subframe up to get the carb in and out......
It's stock... One side of the boot is completely misshapen.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post
Okay, on my way home from work I stop by Lowe's and picked up the rubber coupler. :-) it took about an hour to get it put on. It looks like it's going to work perfectly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0328161818.jpg (125.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:25 PM

The bike runs much better now. Before, it was obvious I had an air leak... Seemed like the bike would rev really high when the clutch was pulled in.