Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Modifying catalytic pipe?

My 2006 EC300 came with two pipes; a silver one and a black one (which, looking at the additional plumbing, may be a catatytic pipe). Has anyone attempted to convert the catalytic pipe into a standard pipe? Do you think it's possible to open the pipe, remove the catalytic element(s), seal the plumbing holes, and reweld the body? And, once that's done, would the performance be equivalent? The two pipes look similar in size and shape.

I guess there's no harm in trying (as the black pipe is just collecting dust in my crawl space!)

OK, I did a little bit of visual inspection and probing (with some flexible tubing); the only extra hole/plumbing is near the exhaust flange, and I'm sure it could be quickly cut off and welded closed. And there does seem to be some sort of obstruction near where the pipe begins to expand (after the upturned "U"). The obstruction is positioned near a weld, and feels "thin" like a plate. Perhaps it's a plate of the reactive material? At this time I can't see why I couldn't build a jig so as to preserve the alignment of the pipe, and then cut the pipe at the suspected plate and attempt to remove it. I'd then weld it back up using the jig. Heck, I can even use the jig to realign any future pipe damage.

Dale

Last edited by d2w; 09-24-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 PM

Here is the inside of a KTM pipe with the CAT. I imagine the GG pipe is the same. You need to cut the pipe open, remove the CAT and weld it back up and block off the air injection? hole. Obviously careful welding and alignment are needed doing this.

Scroll down on the page in this link to see the pics.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...?t=1414&page=7

Skidad
Old 09-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Site Sponsor

I took out my cat that was in my black pipe and it was easy to do. Just look at the pipe and you can see where it was rewelded just after the header. All I did was mark the pipe with scratch marks in a few spots and cut it open along the weld. i then ground the weld that was still holding the cat in and pulled it out. I then aligned the pipe pieces up with the scratch marks and welded them back together. I cut off the small pipe and welded the hole shut. The pipes have the same dimensions and power properties.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold