Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 03-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up Trail Tech Vapor

I purchased a Trail Tech Vapor enduro computer for my '03 EC300. The install was relatively easy, and calibration took nothing more than a ride with a GPS (and some simple math as described in the manual).

It is an amazing piece of equipment, and has survived the beatings I give my bike without complaint or problem. It displays a tach (bar graph and digital readout), radiator fluid temp, ambient air temp, speed (corrected via GPS if you have one), and accumulates engine run time.

It has trip meters, such as trip distance and time, as well as peak speed and RPM for the trip. The only downside is the inability to adjust the trip odometer, only to reset it.

Overall, the folks at Trail Tech were helpful in placing the order, and they make a product that's worth every penny.

Photos: http://mercury.pr.erau.edu/~marti1e8/photo_vapor.htm

Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 AM

I assume the sensor mount is still as fragile as previous models because putting it on the rear wheel makes it all but useless for off-road. Sweeping statement, I should say useless for where I ride - I reckon my rear must do at least 2x the revolutions of the front on a good day, on a bad I bet it is more like 10x!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM

I too was concerned about the fragility of the Vapor sensor, so I took someone's idea and built a simple guard using a small brace/bracket from the hardware store. The bracket mounts using the brake mounting bolt. There still seems to be plenty of thread engagement.

I also contacted TrailTech and suggested that they build a sensor with a 90-degree bend in the mount. Their response was that they were unaware that the sensors were easily damaged.

Regards.

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sensor Protector.jpg (15.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Nicely done Dale.

I already clipped my stock cable and repaired it once.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:19 PM

My carbon fiber disk guard protects the cable well.
Your disk guard is more ruggeder though. Who makes it/where'd you get it ?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My sensor came with a 90 degree bend in it, making the cable stay away from everything. I have never damaged the sensor, and it is tucked nicely out of the way, due to the cable routing on the swingarm.

I find that my rear tire does go faster than I do in mud and sand, but that's the reason I put it on the back tire anyway. I like to know how fast I am spinning the tire (plus it makes my mileage look better than it is). On fire roads, etc, I tend to keep pretty good traction.

On the roads (I ride on public roads about as much as dirt roads), the rear tire speed matches the bike's speed, so I know if I'm doing the speedlimit, plus I can see how fast I am going during wheelies.

EDIT: I also want to know where you got that disc brake guard. Looks nice.

Last edited by DAVe3283; 03-07-2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Question about disc brake guard
Old 03-07-2007, 06:33 PM

The disc guard is a Flatland model for a KTM. On a KTM, the original guard mounts to a block which is held in positon by the axle clamping bolts. But the block didn't work on my GG.

My brother is a hobbiest machinist, and he built me a mount. Actually, he first built me a front wheel spacer, and then he built me a disc that's sandwiched between the spacer and the fork lower (and is centered on the axle). The disc sits mostly inside the hollow of the hub. There's a slight lateral offset in the disc which allows me to bolt the KTM fin (which was easily removed from the orginal block) to the disc. The lateral offset is required to clear the rotor mounting bolts.

If you'd like, I can send you more detailed pictures and/or measurements.

I hope the system isn't too strong (and will cause something to break rather than bend/deform).

Regards.

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disc Guard.jpg (27.3 KB, 51 views)