Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM

Default New to me 04 450 SM

Hey guys just got a used 2004 450 SM, it was used and bought new by Walt Disney as a movie bike and as part of there motorsports stunt show. The plastics are pretty beat up and seem to be impossible to find, any idea where they can be had? i mainly need a rear fender.

I checked the valves they are within spec and mechanically the bike seems to be in good shape, it starts in no more than two rotations of the engine. I had to put a new fuel pump in it, and for those who also need a pump, an airtex e7000 is a direct replacement for the factory walbro pump.

The only issue i have is rarely the bike will just flat die when idling but will fire right back up. Also when hard on the throttle and i clutch and drop the throttle it will die like i hit the kill switch, again it will fire right back up. Is this a tuning issue? Id like to get that taken care of as it really cramps my spirited street riding style...

Old 02-12-2012, 01:47 PM

If you are looking for parts or plastics, there are many 2004+ parts available on eBay right now. Just search for 'gasgas 450'.

Good luck with the bike. Once you get the idle sorted out I think you will be very happy with it, they are a hoot to ride. Currently looking for a GasGas 450 enduro for myself.

Wondering if the rough idle and sudden stalling could be caused by a partially clogged fuel injector? It could be gummed up due to the crap ethanol in our fuel. Had nearly identical problems with my BMW 650 X Challenge. I ended up cleaning the throttle body and added some Sea Foam to the fuel. Cleared up the problem in no time.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Yea i got it figured out, i just hit the injectors with some compressed air whilst it was connected to 12v to keep it open. Also replaced my fuel line, havent had an issue other than a slight oil leak at the valve cover gasket after checking my valves. I saw all those 450 parts on ebay, problem is they are green, id like the black SM stuff... All the other stuff i need isnt up there, i need a stock speedo and ignition switch, and a tail light and headlight. I think im gunna have to end up going aftermarket.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Yeah go aftermarket.The originals were junk.Headlight ok though.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenismo View Post
Yea i got it figured out, i just hit the injectors with some compressed air whilst it was connected to 12v to keep it open. Also replaced my fuel line, havent had an issue other than a slight oil leak at the valve cover gasket after checking my valves. I saw all those 450 parts on ebay, problem is they are green, id like the black SM stuff... All the other stuff i need isnt up there, i need a stock speedo and ignition switch, and a tail light and headlight. I think im gunna have to end up going aftermarket.
I may have some of those parts left over from my 03 EC 450. I will have a look. I know I have a complete set of red plastic, including the head light.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 PM

I found you some brand new 2004 supermoto parts! These are on eBay for a great deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Gas-FS45...item2a19c70911

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Gas-FS45...item2a19c6b8ec

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Gas-FS45...item2a19c6ad94
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM

Default GAS GAS 450 SM starting problem

GAS GAS 450 SM starting problem
hi i have a 2006 Gas Gas 450 sm. the bike starts well the first time each morning but then it become very difficult to start my mechanic says that the diagnostic states that is the bike read -16 degress temp so thats why does not start.... we change the cdi but it was not the solution.... ANY IDEAS?????? PLS HELP!!!