Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:43 PM

Default Noisy motor

Hi all,
I bought an 03 EC300 recently.Only been out on one proper outing.As i rode though the housing estate to meet up with friends i could hear a noise on mid throtle,sounded like the chain was sliping over a badly worn sprocket.I knew it wasn't so carred on.After a few hours on the trail,i noticed this noise was getting a lot worse,as though something was coming lose and about to let go.

I got back ok,but now the bike sounds good on tick-over,but when reved sounds really noisy.I'm thinking it could P/V adjustment,and after reading the sticky,i've got the bike on it's side and put a bit of tension on the actuator plate.Everything seems in order now,apart from the top loop on the actuator arm does not have a washer,and there is a lot of clearance between rod loop and pin on the triangular plate.The retaining nut spins on the thead and doesn't want to come off.

My question is...can the P/V make so much racket? or am i barking up the wrong tree.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default tree

probably at the right tree
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Check this tree out first and see where it gets you. Its very possible it could have been making some noise, but I'm not certain it would sound like a slipping chain. Any other symptoms? Excessive engine vibes? Loss of power? Smoke? etc. Or just an annoying noise? Either way starting at the PV is easy
Old 05-26-2013, 08:13 PM

FOOD FOR THOUGHT...my bike has made noticable noise with certain oils that Ive tried in the crankcase. Im using the new Castrol now (cuz its hard to find the Amsoil) and it has quieted down the clutch alot. Another thing is the O-rings on the exhaust spicket deteriorated and broke causing alot of hi rev vibration. This may not be your problem now, but keep it in mind.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 PM

My noise was piston slap. Time for a top-end for me, at the time.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 PM

a loose crank nut on the RHS? don't mean to scare you but keep in mind that this does happen...
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the interest guys.First thing i did was change the exhaust o-rings,made no difference.I have now put a bit of tention on the P/V,just waiting for gaskets to arrive.As i said the only consern was the top eye of the actuating rod is really sloppy on the pin,and the nut you have to heat before removing,is stripped so i can't tighten or loosen it.I don't think it's going to come off and i'm not bothered about loss of a bit of performance,just so long as it's not going to cause any more problems.

The motor sounds good on idle,no smoke,and didn't notice any tail-off in power when i was out on it,just noticed engine noise was getting worse as the day went on.The motor does vibrate when reved,but i have no idea how much is normal.

Gaskets should be here in a few days,so I'll report back when i get her back in one piece.

Cheers Lee
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 PM

Got her back together today and give it quick try.Seems a lot better,think I'm beeing a bit over-critical now,so I'm going to get out and ride it! I'll find out this coming week,as I'm off work and a couple of the lads are on their way over to the Island with Enduro bikes in the back of van...TT week yay!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Think I've got my head round this problem now.
Swingarm bearing are shot,letting the motor move around,causing vibration and noise.
Up and down movement in the mains,causing more noise and vibration.
The noise i can hear when riding the bike is the power valve flapping about,because of the missing washer and loose nut that wont tighten up on the triangular actuating plate.I've got the previous owner to thank for this when he had the cylinder off to get it replated.I'm guessing this missing washer must take the play out of pin to rod assembly,but on the parts listing it lists the item as a "plain washer"??? Can anyone shed any light on this?