Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman
I personally would rather have a full blown off road bike, than a compromised dual sport/off road bike.

How come this is not even an issue with the Japanese bikes?
Not sure of your question???? It is an issue and why so many people are riding KTM's at enduros.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff
The irony is they still let all the diesel buses, etc pump all that cr&p into the air, but a tiny 250cc motorcycle is such a risk to the environment.
The double irorny is "they" let millions of cars from Mexico with no polution control what so ever cross our borders daily...
Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassman
For what it is worth..in Virginia if you get caught riding a 2 stroke in the national forest it is a 500.00 fine ..i race a 2 stroke in enduros,hare scrams,mx and i love them..i have a 05 de 300 and have a deposit on a new 07 300 gasser..but for dual sport riding a four stroke is the only way to go..i rode a gas gas 450 and was amazed at the power and feel..why would you want to buzzz down the street..when you could roar..i truly believe that gas gas should look into building a 350 4 stroke for the woods racer..i had a ktm 400 and they are just too much in the tight stuff..a 350 that weighed in around 240 had fuel injection with the same great handling chassis and suspension..wow ...well i can at least dream..thanks rick
Yes many of us agree that a 300 to 350 enduro 4 stroke based on a 250F frame and lighter weight motor would be the ultimate for many of us. I would own one, less rev, higher reliability, less mass than a 450, etc. I believe it would sell great and that is what consumers want.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:07 PM

Lots of myths out there. Two-stroke technology is not banned. There are a few four-stroke off-road motorcycles that do not meet the 2007 exhaust emission requirements and will be sold as closed-course only models. Engines under 50cc's are exempt from emission requirements until 2010. California has the most stringent exhaust emission requirements of any state (typically two years ahead of U.S. EPA requirements) and, AFAIK, you can still get a red sticker for your 2006 2-stroke motorcycle to ride on public land.

If you receive a ticket for riding a two-stroke off-road motorcycle on public land, find out what specific law you are breaking. Again, California only allows the red sticker for two-strokes, which means you can only ride on public land at certain times of the year and in specified areas. I don't know of any state that has more stringent restrictions.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 AM

Default new to me

Man, all this 2 stroke regulation stuff is new to me. I'm not saying it's not true, but I have done research to find out what the reg's are, and I have never found anything specific for my area of the country, the southeast. I'm going to buy an mc250 and put it on the road in Georgia. It can be done, I'm not sure how yet. There are plenty of counties that are too small to have emissions tests out here, but they do have tricky registration and title laws in GA. Some are tough, but then some are real slack.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:18 AM

Angry

I'm in my third season riding. I have a new '05 gg450. Went from a Drz400s at 290 dry to a xr440r which I still have with a kickstart. I'm short so I don't have the leverage for the heavier bikes to keep them from falling over going slow without a good foot hold.
Once I started to gain knowledge about our sport I've been getting closer and closer to buying a EC 300. But I need it to be street legal. I ride right out my door here in the Cascade foothills of Wa. state and I'm finding single track within 10 minutes.
I'm fine with my new 450. It's an awesome bike and made me a better rider right off the bat. But lighter weight would be even better. So I'm gonna sit on the fencepost and see what comes down. If Epa outlaws the newer 2t's then I'm 100% with Mark T. and Gassman.
I sit here and watch as our freedom's and hope's are dashed by a stroke of a pen and my hard earned money is given to a lot of undeserving programs. Now at age 57 I could use that light low speed lugging EC300gg!
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Last edited by flybars; 08-30-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Jap 2t's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman
How come this is not even an issue with the Japanese bikes?
A KTM dealer told me that Kawi made a bunch of '05 KDX200's(or were they 220's, or both?) and now the KDX is no more- the last Japanese 2 stroke enduro. I saw a new KDX on a dealer floor, but never checked the year,so it may or may not be true.

Jap bikes have tell-tale serial numbers, that's why GG and KTM's are the only bikes you'll see plated, at least in the states I'm familiar with. In the '90's, I had a IT250 I was able to get titled as an XT250, and got the license plate for it, but when I went to get insurance, I was told it came back as "competition only". That was in georgia. They have no vehicle inspection statewide and no emmissions in many counties. Getting a title is tricky though.