Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:53 PM

I'm 67. Find a method of exercise that you can do almost daily. I run 3 to 6 miles about five times per week. It helps to hold off on injuries because you stay in shape.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:25 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I have asked this question before, but never hurts to ask again. I am a 45 year old teenager who would like to still be riding dirt when i'm in my 70's, so what advice can you old(er) (according to your birth certificate!) bullets give that will make it easier?
Things that you wish you had done (or not done) that make it easier/harder to ride?

things like going to the gym regularly, swimming, yoga etc, spending money on good suspension etc

I am already getting aches and pains in my fingers and so it has me wondering.... is it time to get a licence and register with ADVrider.com??
Sorry to say, but there's nothing easier about getting older.

My main workout routine , starting in my late thirty's has been bicycling. Both roadie & off road, but mainly roadie. I really believe it has helped keep me off any kinds of meds as well as keeping my knees healthy. The last couple of years, it seems the bicycling has given way to walking. Usually 4 miles, 4 or 5 times a week at 18 or 19 minute per mile . I still prefer the bicycle, but end up just walking with the wife, just to keep her company.

I've always been self employeed involving physical labor, so that's probably helped as well. I'm semi retired now, but still get involved w/ projects involving heavy labor.

Regards the actual riding of dirt bikes, I'd say don't be a purist. I love off roading, but sometimes there's just no one around to ride with. But there might be some older guys out dual sporting and I'll hook up with them.
Anything to stay active on a motorcycle.

Last of all (for anyone who may actually be reading this), I feel like moderation in diet & drink has helped me stay active.

But, as my mother used to say "Time & tide wait for no man" The clock is ticking for us all.

RB
Old 06-28-2019, 05:32 PM

I think I'm a kid compared to some of you guys at 66.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:53 PM

I'm 65.8 years young. I'm a couch potato and don't exercise but I didn't when I was younger either. I ride once a week except in the summer when it gets so hot that my buddies quit riding. I have no problem riding all day and some weekends I will ride 2-3 days in a row. For me the important thing while riding is to ride "lazy". I don't mean slow although I'm not fast - never was - what I do mean is to consciously conserve energy. You do this through lane choice - pick easier lines, avoid bumps and ruts if possible, accelerate and decelerate less forcefully. I do get a little behind at times but I easily catch up when the others stop to rest. At the end of the day I'm usually the one still going strong in fact it is not unusual for young guys to join our group and drop out half way through the ride. The old man in our group is 77 and still going strong - he still parachutes out of airplanes too.
Don't stop riding, ignore aches and pains, and force yourself to always MOVE LIKE YOU FEEL GREAT.