Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Australia & New Zealand

Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Default whats the riding like in NZ

I am thinking about looking for work in NZ so thought before i check schools, security, etc i would find out about the important things like how the riding is in NZ, and where in NZ is the best.

It should be pretty good since Chris Birch is from there, although he raves about the available riding in South Africa, so i know it will not be as good.

thanks

Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Depends where in NZ you are looking at. I know there's a fair few legal spots around Auckland, with organised rides and what not. Plenty of trail ride slightly south of Auckland during the summer. There isn't really any place where you can just ride for hours in one direction, you're not really allowed to ride on crown land, although people do. I know of a few places around Wellington that you can ride for free/cheap. There's lots of places to ride, but it wont be as free range as in SA.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Yip,if you ride for more than 3hrs in one direction your in the sea.
Bay of plenty has several bike parks & your always close to an event or organised ride.Check out 'offlimits ' & 'epic events' web sites.BOP has alot of pine forest & native bush tracks with loam,pumice or clay soil depending on area.Always a stream or river crossing somewhere.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:14 AM

Well if you want to do cross country or enduro events you are better to be in the north island , although down here we can ride for 3 hours in one direction and not end up in the sea although you do need farmers permission , down here in central otago we ride mostly on rocks but head south or out to the coast and you get dirt . Great veiws though
Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Thanks. The more technical the better, but it would be a completely new start as. I don't know anyone in nz.
But would like to choose a spot with good riding then try to get a job there
Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

There are many many many of your countrymen in Auckland. There is probably a greater chance of finding a job in Auckland. What type of work are you doing? While there isn't much "free range" riding, there are alot of organised enduro type competition (but being NZ, they're are fairly relaxed) or fund raising trail rides, ranging from native bush, plantation forestry (pine) open and semi open farmland. This is within 2 hrs drive of auckland. For 3-4 hrs drive you get into the central plateau kind of stuff - volcanic loam, more open etc. Lots of guys, Noobi included, drive from Auckland to do these rides.