Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 AM

Question Is GG just allot of hot air?

OK, so I WAS interested in buying a Gas Gas after reading the Cycle News test but....

I got some phone numbers off of the GG website and it seems that just about every shop I called, had either gone out of business or didn't sell GG anymore. I even had one guy laugh when I asked if they had bikes on the floor. (One particular shop on the current dealer list, went completely out of business 3 years ago) What few shop owners that did claim to still be GG dealers, didn't stock ANY GG bikes but said they could order me one.

My feelings about that are simple. If the "dealer" doesn't believe in the product enough to stock them, them why should I consider purchasing on? Also, with dealers being so few and far between, why should I buy a bike that depreciates even worse than the other brands? Seems like once I buy it, it will be mine forever, which also explains why there are so many of you guys that are still riding older machines.

Cycle News ad's, demo rides, test write up's....for what? Maybe the folks at Gas Gas should invest some of this "fluff but no stuff" money into developing a dealer network if they really want to sell more motorcycles in the U.S., instead of operating like a "fly by night" Chinese cloning outfit. Sorry to rant on my first ever post but it's more than a little frustrating to see a company that produces what seems to be a quality motorcycle like GG, not being represented in this country no better than it currently is. With KTM sales continuing to nose dive, and more and more Husky and Husaberg dealers popping up everywhere...it very apparent that someone at Gas Gas has dropped the ball.

Are there ANY GG dealers reading this (or a Rep from Gas Gas), that would care to share their thoughts and feelings on the subject?

Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 AM

I know they are working on a better dealer network.It is a tough sell to get dealers to go out and get a new line of bikes that most of the general public has never heard of.Take it from me GasGas bikes are for real they are a great bike very dependable better then the orange bikes (yes I've ridden orange bikes). Parts are only a phone call away at www.Gofasters.com Mark and Steve will bend over backwards to help you out and get you what you need and they have in stock everything.Don't let a small dealer network stop you from buying a great bike.I'm right now trying to figure out how to get a new bike basicly no dealers in Mi but that won't stop me.Can you say road trip if need be.Also the ISDE winner was on a GASGAS has to say something about the brand.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

First thing that would help is to know where you are located. Second, I'm not sure how often gasgas.com get's updated, but it should be more frequently. Third, the GasGas distributors have stepped up big time over the last couple of years. This site is the best resource for GasGas owners.

I live in the North East and have no issues finding a dealer or parts supplier.

If you expect the the typical small dealerships that sell GasGas to carry a huge floor plan so they can stock dozens of bikes, then maybe GasGas isn't for you. They just can't afford to do that. You may be better off with a Jap bike or KTM. If you are willing to own a ride a great bike then you need to be open to dealing with smaller dealers.

Resale does drop faster than other bikes, but most GasGas riders don't feel the need to buy a new bike every year. In my experiance KTM value drops fast too (but not as fast) because the market is saturated with used bikes being turned over every year.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Default Point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
First thing that would help is to know where you are located. Second, I'm not sure how often gasgas.com get's updated, but it should be more frequently. Third, the GasGas distributors have stepped up big time over the last couple of years. This site is the best resource for GasGas owners.

I live in the North East and have no issues finding a dealer or parts supplier.

If you expect the the typical small dealerships that sell GasGas to carry a huge floor plan so they can stock dozens of bikes, then maybe GasGas isn't for you. They just can't afford to do that. You may be better off with a Jap bike or KTM. If you are willing to own a ride a great bike then you need to be open to dealing with smaller dealers.

Resale does drop faster than other bikes, but most GasGas riders don't feel the need to buy a new bike every year. In my experiance KTM value drops fast too (but not as fast) because the market is saturated with used bikes being turned over every year.
You make good points eff. Actually I prefer the small dealer over the typical box store and understand they can't keep rows of bikes on the floor but exactly how many bikes are required by GG to be a dealer? Surely it can't be that many, since there aren't that many models in the line to begin with.

The last time I considered GG, (back in the late 90's) the brand seemed to be really be gaining ground, especially down South then all the sudden, the brand disappeared, so...after seeing the company have a dealer show and demo ride in IN. this year, it sparked my interest again.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Site Sponsor

The dealer list from the GasGas.com site has not been updated in awhile.

Here is a link to the current list of active GasGas enduro dealers from our website (GoFasters.com.)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,74.355469&z=4

Hope this helps.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 AM

lol look at my great state of TN holding it down! I'm so glad I have a GG!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Dont be afraid,

Spode, you bring up some very good points that we have been working on with Dale the US importer. In the spring of 2008 when Dale agreed to pick back up the enduro side (from Dixie Sales, who dropped it & Husaberg in the middle of 07) there was a what I would call an exagerated list of dealers of well over 100 in the US. Steve n I both knew that this list was just a paper list of dealers that was either a current dealer, past dealer, or dealership that plainly stated, yes I sell GG.

We wanted to put structure back into the US with dealership criteria's (small that they may be), and weed out the supposed non-stocking dealer. If you go to our website and look at the dealer locator link on the lower right you will see a simple (for now) google link to every dealer that is promoting GG to this day. These are the dealers stocking parts, attempting to stock bikes, and promote the brand. (if you call one of these and they stated differently....call me)

This group of dealers is growing, but and I hate to use this word again as a crutch.....the economy has really made it very difficult for us to find suitable dealer floorplanning and consumer financing for the interested GG dealer or consumer. In the beginning of 2008, GE Financial dropped GG along with 45 other lines that they provided dealer floorplanning to in an effort to cut back, cut losses, no explanations, no revisions, just DROPPED! (they are big enough, they can do whatever they feel). We are working on new company's that want to work with GG. But currently without these tools it is very hard to gain a larger dealer network more rapidly. So what can we do in the meantime to still attract dealers and convince them that this is a product they want to pay for up front and stock on their floors? We do it by advertising, marketing, and having all the magazines we can, test, ride, and place articles in their mags about how really good these bikes are. So that a consumer as yourself wants to go that extra mile to find a GG dealer, or to convince your local dealer that "hey I should be selling these bikes, because they are dang good and they are an alternative.

The new people at GasGas Spain see the US as a market they need to be in and are willing in the years to come finally help the US importer get to where it needs to be. It just takes time...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'll chime in here being a past dealer. First about the bikes, i love them, believe in them and ride one and will probably continue to ride one. Why i'm not a dealer anymore, Three distributors in three years. After starting out and doing good, i couldnt get the models i could sell when they should have been released. You just get used to dealing with a company and now its someone else, then yet again. I think the ones that have stuck with GG have other means of business and i relied on just being GG. Also i would now have to buy from a dealer i have to compete with for business and i refuse to. Would i do it again, YES if the structure of distribution was what i believe it should be and stays consistent. I know that GF is working toward being distribution only but till then ??? Nick
Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Site Sponsor

dealer support has never been a deciding factor for any purchase i've made.. but then again, i tend to ride antiquated shit...

i must say gas gas is one of the easier bikes to get parts for.. easier than husky in my opinion...so far i've not needed any major stuff - they are built pretty tough....

if you ride hard, you know what parts are gonna break (the same ones you broke on any other bike..) - just plan ahead and get the usual stuff in advance.. levers, bearings, pedals, etc..

try finding parts for an aprilia climber. or a gilera 175 gina macho. or an mz ts250. or body work for a montesa 314r... you'll love the gasgas once you realize parts are a phone call away.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Usually dealers of GG are enthusiasts, and know a good product when they find it. Unfortunately, the brand is not going to keep you afloat. The closest dealer to me had an established business before Gas Gas, so thankfully he's doing okay. I'd love to see him sell more bikes. He's had a very nice stock of Gas Gas bikes, from little to big. He still has a 50 and a 65 on the floor, plus a 125 MC and a 300 EC, and even a trials bike. He's committed, he rides an EC 250 himself. There are a cadre of folks around here that have Gas Gas and it seems to be growing slowly. It seems that once somebody has one, they like it, the more people who get a test ride on my bike, the more good stuff gets passed on. I've only had one person in the last 10 years ride my bike and tell me he didn't like it. He is a local suspension tuner and completely ran down my suspension. It worked fine for me, and he outweighs me by 50 plus pounds, so I chalked it up to him pining for business.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs