Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
tell the story of "Troy R. Huff?"

Rick
"Is that rotting shrimp I smell?"
That story does NOT need to go on print. It will cause some major ramifications in the off-road world.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:07 AM

But it's a classic story of love, betrayal, and revenge.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

OK. The story will be told at the Last Man Standing race in December, by the suspect involved.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 AM

So rick, I see you said the quest is over, but you aslo said "if KTM..." whihc we all know is not gonna happen. How much better was the gasser (boomhauer's bike in particular) than yout KTM experiences?
Did the test ride make you more or less confident in a decision to buy a gasser? I think I speak from all of us on the fence when I say thank you for the candid report!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmstarr View Post
So rick, I see you said the quest is over, but you aslo said "if KTM..." whihc we all know is not gonna happen. How much better was the gasser (boomhauer's bike in particular) than yout KTM experiences?
Did the test ride make you more or less confident in a decision to buy a gasser? I think I speak from all of us on the fence when I say thank you for the candid report!
I don't think it would be fair to compare my bike to a 250 or even a 300 just because it is really neither. Plus this bike was a full factory race bike and has many little things that you would not find on a dealer bought bike. JMO

Boom
Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmstarr View Post
How much better was the gasser (boomhauer's bike in particular) than yout KTM experiences?
While Boomer's bike exhibited the odd aroma of last week's bean burritos, it behaved nicely.
Quote:
Did the test ride make you more or less confident in a decision to buy a gasser?
It makes me quite confident in a Gas Gas purchase for a few, very critical reasons. Keep in mind that I only started riding (after a twenty-year layoff) last summer, so my needs are different from the owners of these bikes, one of which was a MC250 in full MX power, and the other was an unknown quantity -- neither of which could be rightly guaranteed to be very EC-like.

When I test rode the Honda and Yammie 4Ts, and the KTM 2t and 4Ts, I looked for things that felt odd (am I riding the bike or is the bike riding me?). The Honda CRF450X/R were sweet in the suspension department but didn't turn fast enough for me and I don't like 4Ts.

The 2004 to 2006 KTMs showed gradual improvement, but they were no better than my KX-forked KDX in the boinger department (rear end). The 2007 was vastly improved but still not as good as the Gasser. 2008 Katooms are said to be better than the '07s but I've not gotten a chance to ride the few that are in Phoenix, and I doubt that I'll get the same 20-miles from local Phoenix riders that G-Man and Boomer would bestow me, an Internet stranger.

1) The ergos fit me nearly perfectly.
a) I'll ride while standing more confidently
b) The lower seat will do wonders for my stability in turns
c) The lower seat will save me from tip-overs when stalled off-camber

2) The bike tracked straight and true through sections worthy of testing. Better than anything, perhaps even the Honda (which felt like a horse).

This despite both bikes being valved taughter than I would prefer (though I began to get used to it.

3) The bike turned the way I wanted it to. That is, when I pointed it somehwhere, it went that way at the rate that I had intuitively selected. That does not mean that it steered fast, but still slow enough for someone of my C-minus skills. I mean that it was easy to control. It could turn way faster if I had wanted it to, but I didn't. The KTM 200 that I rode was too skittish. Small inputs meant quick turns. It was twitchy and I couldn't modulate it well -- part of the problem was that I was so busy trying to keep the Katoom 200 up in the revs were it produced enough torque that I was all too often behind the bike. A good rider wouldn't have had the problem, but I'm not a good rider, and I don't like to ride on the pipe.

4) Speaking of on-the-pipe, let's talk about the motor. I had wondered if that MX-based MC250 would require me to be on the pipe, say, like a KTM 250SX. It didn't. I know this because I'm naturally a short-shifting chugger. That's why I want a 300, I guess. The MC was pretty happy at low RPMs. I did stall it a couple of times, but that was a symptom of lack of flywheel weight that the EC300, or the EC250 wouldn't share.

The main thing about that motor is that the power was delivered smoothly. I mentioned earlier that I could detect no hit along the rev range, and as I say that I have trouble believing that. It had to have a hit somewhere, right? But I didn't notice it. Maybe I didn't rev it high enough to find it. Or maybe the bike produced so much power at 650 feet that my low-seat time nerve endings couldn't detect it. But I surely was able to detect hits on SXs, XCs, Xs and Rs.

Still, the MC had too much wheel spin for my tastes since I ride rocky hills and need control, but a flywheel, EC CDI mapping, and a big Maxxis tire would tame that.

So, am I toally convinced that this test ride steered me in the direction of an EC300? Not 100%, since I didn't ride one. I'm sure that Girard and Boomer would be better able to discuss the differences between their bikes and the EC 300.

You're up, boys.

Rick
Old 10-13-2007, 05:56 AM

Rick this was another great write up. I will try to explain the differences between the 250 & 300. Again I am no expert but I have owned both bikes and there are certain things on each bike that I really like. I'm just sorry I could not bring the 300 for you to try as the bike was missing the power valve cover gasket, plus I thought Shawn was going to show up with his 07 300.

Okay here we go... 300 vs. 250
When I first started looking into the Gasers I wanted a 250. A friend of mine told me since I was a bigger guy to get a 300 so I did. First thing I noticed was the bottom end torque of the 300. Yes this is great except when you find yourself stalled on the side of a hill and you loop the bike over on yourself trying to get going again. You can be a lazy rider on the 300. What I mean by this is that you can put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and lug it around thru the woods and trails without stalling it or fouling a plug. It does not rev up like the 250 does for sure. I always found myself wanting more of a hit off the bottom coming out of turns or dancing thru the trees. This meaning I was always clutching the bike to rev out the bike when I needed it. I put the LTR power valve cover on it, took off the reed spacer plate, had the head shaved, and a few carb mods to boot. It helped but the bike still did not have the hit that I was looking for.

Rick I think I told you one of the biggest things I have noticed going from the 300 to a 250 was that my arms do not seem to be sore after a ride like on my 300. The reason is that the 250 has less torque to where the 300 was pulling hard on my arms at times while riding.

Okay the 250 story.
I was very nervous about buying the WEC bike because I was under the impression that it was a 300 not a 250. I have ridden both of Girards 250's and another riding buddy of ours here in Houston also has a 250. Quite frankly I was scared each and every time I got on their bikes. So I contacted a few people on this forum thru PM's to get their advice on me buying the WEC bike and get their take on the 250 before I made my final decision. The best comment that I can remember came from GMP (Glenn) he told me that you have to ride a 250 with a little more caution (Finese) SP? In other words the 300 is more forgiving than a 250. This is so true!

Understand that I have only ridden the WEC bike hard a few times since buying it because I wanted to finish my racing season on my 300 where I felt comfortable. Plus I did not want to chance loosing the points lead in my class. I have found that I have to be a little more precise in the way I use the throttle and clutch on the 250. I really enjoy the way the bike hits on the power band, and how very smooth it is, plus my arms are not getting pulled hard like on the 300. The down side to the 250 is the lack of torque when going up nasty hills. I found this out at a West Texas race a few weeks back. I was clutching the 250 way more than I use too on the 300 on steep hills. It does seem that the 250 spins up quickly which makes sense to me now. This can be cured with a FW weight though. I will not be putting one on my bike. The other thing that has been highly recomended was the G2 throttle cam system. I will be looking into these after I get some other goodies for the bike.

So all in all when you read the specs on both the 250 & 300 you will find that both bikes make the same HP but the 300 has more torque.

It boils down to what you feel is the better bike for you in the end. If you are just going to trail ride I say get the 300. If you plan on doing some racing go with the 250. JMO

Sorry for my red neck language! I'm sure others here can explain better than me.

Boom
Old 10-13-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
OK. The story will be told at the Last Man Standing race in December, by the suspect involved.

Haha.... This just hit me! It will be a long, long, story.
Friggin Keeley!
Old 10-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

To sum it up, the 250 is the weapon for fast, aggressive trail riding or racing. The 300 is good for lugging around and has the low end to get you out of trouble or for long climbs in the mountains at high elevations. I found Jim Cook's 3 hunny to be quite "jumpy' at low throttle settings (Rainy mode, none the less) in tight and technical situations which required me to take my focus off the trail and place my focus on the throttle position. Not conducive to getting it on when doing hand to hand combat with trees in a test section. For me, that is.

Now, I'm not saying you can't race the 3 hunny and be aggressive. Plenty of folks prove this at every Enduro around the world on a weekly basis. You just have to be more "aware" of throttle control. The 250 lets you get away with more in "less sh!t and mo' get" situations.

Therefore, I find the 250 to suit my style. Just a pop of the clutch away from all the power I'll need in any given situation. Once properly geared and jetted, that is.

The really cool thing about these two bikes is that if you buy one or the other, all it takes is a wad of cash and you can make it a 300 or a 250. Just buy a jug and top end. So you really can't make a bad purchase.

Who the hell is Troy Huff anyway????

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 10-13-2007, 06:48 PM

I would fit either the KTM or GG 250/300s with mellower throttle cams, jetting and sprockets to suit me.

Rick

Last edited by AZRickD; 10-13-2007 at 08:52 PM.