Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Like I said many times the 250 has just the right amount of power for woods riding/racing. Keep in mind that your test ride probably did not tax your stamina, but 50+ miles of rocks back home might. Yes, the 300 is smooth, but pulls immediately when the throttle is opened. Not only can this get you more tired, but when you get tired and sloppy, the 300 can hurt you more. This is from an eastern woods racers perspective. You can make the 250 grunt real good with some simple setup changes. Trust me, I live on a lake in a valley and must climb out on rock hills to get anywhere. Mount up a Mitas trials tire with 13/52 gearing and you will rule on the 250.

Like these guys said, think about your use, ability, and style. They are both great bikes.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Yes, the 300 is smooth, but pulls immediately when the throttle is opened. Not only can this get you more tired, but when you get tired and sloppy, the 300 can hurt you more. This is from an eastern woods racers perspective.
That's funny...all my friends who ride Katooms here in VA swear that the 250 is too much and the 300 is easier to ride as the race progresses. Guess it's just a matter of groupthink. (yes, they LOVE the 300xc-w here)

thanks aagain everyone, for the great perspective.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM

Having spent several minutes on a pair of '06 KTM 300XC/XC-Ws at the Destry Abbot clinic last February, I can't say that those bikes were particularly intimidating. Actually easier to ride than the KDX. But that was nine months ago and my memory is fading.

Anyone have a more recent comparison of the GG and KTM 300s (especially motor-wise)?

Rick
Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Look in the Test Archives on the Dirtrider Mag website. They did a comparison not too long ago. The 6th gear and linkage would do it for me even if the motors were the same. 2 strokes are so tunable though, that you can make the motor act as you want.

Just buy a bike already!!!! LOL!

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 10-16-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
...to go eat pizza and drink beer....
Hey Rick - thanks for the pizza and the beer, sorry I didn't get a chance to actually ride with (close) to the pack, if I had known it was going to be a group ride I'd have changed who I brought with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
the waitress couldn't stop looking at my crotch....
Here I thought she was just waiting for you to move your chair so she could get the $1 bill trapped under your chair leg.
1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)
MSRA (www.msra-cycle.org)

I may not be able to tell you who you SHOULD buy from, but I can definitely tell you who you SHOULD NOT buy from.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Excellent ride report Rick! Thanks for sharing.
Welcome to the fold of GasGas enthusiasts!

You ought to join Girard and Boom when they finally come over to Arkansas and ride with me at the TrainRobbers Trail. We will have a few rocks and hills to add to all those sandy loam twisties, but there will be losts of fun singletrack.
You can ride my 2006 DE300 as much as you like.

If you (and they) have time, we'll go down to Breezy Hills and let you chase Bandit and Reggie around those tight virgin trails for a day.

Good Riding to You!

Jim

Wudsracer/Jim Cook
Smackover Racing
'06 Gas Gas DE300
'82 Husqvarna XC250
Team LAGNAF