Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 01-07-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Took it out for its maiden voyage, very quickly got accustomed to the ergo?s, suspension is awesome out of the box. Added a couple of clicks of damping to the shock. Springs are very close to being in the ball park so I?ll leave them for the time being.
My free pistons firmed up the damping ever so slightly more than the demo I rode due to having a little less freeplay.
I just stuck my favourite needle (n3cj) with the stock jetting and did the float height and it is sweet! Very smooth motor but I do miss the Tm?s rubber mounted bars! They need a tad more height and I?ll be set!
Starter worked faultlessly every time, but I added some beefier sized leads and wet modded it anyway. I have never liked grease in bendixes anyway. Felt a little dirty using a button and my masculinity has dropped a few points as well!
Very glad I made the swap! I dropped it on the second last rock step for the day but saved any damage by throwing my body under it! It feels like I have some of my bouncy trials skills back too which I thought I?d lost on the Tm, probably due to the smoother and gruntier nature of the gassy motor.
How did you resolve an air vent on cover in wet mod ? I make it the same in Husaberg but there is a larger rubber on electric wire and you need to close the vent on lower side of cover before you put oil inside.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropheo View Post
How did you resolve an air vent on cover in wet mod ? I make it the same in Husaberg but there is a larger rubber on electric wire and you need to close the vent on lower side of cover before you put oil inside.
I just used a small 5mm vacuum fitting off a road bike, at the top of the cover, then ran the hose up high with a 180 bend at the top. Hasn?t leaked a drop with 25ml in it, starter engages instantly and fires up straight away.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:46 AM

So, you drilled and taped the cover for vacuum ? Can you make some photos ? How is work your starter on cold engine, when the oil is still not warm and densited ? My works correctly when engine is warm (sometimes his stuck on first shot but fast second and he starts good) on cold starter haven't power to twist crankshaft.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:10 PM

Instantly and straight away when cold mate, I also put some proper sized earth straps on as well and ran one down to the starter directly from the battery. I?ll try and take a photo and post it up for you.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
So, you drilled and taped the cover for vacuum ? Can you make some photos ? How is work your starter on cold engine, when the oil is still not warm and densited ? My works correctly when engine is warm (sometimes his stuck on first shot but fast second and he starts good) on cold starter haven't power to twist crankshaft.
If you have the lithium battery, this may be the cause for what you describe: The lithium battery needs to warm in cold weather before it puts out full power. This is often done by running the headlight for a short while (30 to 40 seconds?) to warm the battery before pushing the starter button.

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 AM

I polished mount bracket from starter and on cover around bolts to raw metal and the difference is huge. Now starter works when the engine is cold without problems. I have to also apply a wire directly from battery to starter.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:14 AM

See if this picture works mate, I highly recommend the wet mod. If anything it saves having to strip and clean the bendix all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E79E039-59DF-4459-B697-0C5135326385.jpg (98.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:50 AM

Thanks. I've see now where to place it, from what motorbike is this air vent connector?

Is it matter what diameter of earth straps (wires) I have to use to connect battery ? Of course it needs to connect "-" from batery to starter cover, do I thinking correct ?

What float level do you setup in carb ? What kind of technic do you used do measure ?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I've see now where to place it, from what motorbike is this air vent connector?

Is it matter what diameter of earth straps (wires) I have to use to connect battery ? Of course it needs to connect "-" from batery to starter cover, do I thinking correct ?

What float level do you setup in carb ? What kind of technic do you used do measure ?
They are just a generic vacuum fitting used to balance carburettors on road bikes.
Yes I think I used 16mm2 starter lead from memory, I set my float height to 8.5mm. Plenty of tutorials on that. I am sure there is a page on here somewhere. Yes the negative of the battery to the starter housing.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Got the 300 out for the first ride today. Mods were FMF 2.1 SA, BPD Rad guards and rear disc guard and a TMD skid plate with linkage guard. I set the suspension in the standard settings according to the manual and moved the stock bars into the far forward position. Left the carb stock for break in. Conditions today were 80 degs and 2500-3000' in elevation, desert single track, dry and slick. Former bike was a 2017 300 Beta 300RR race. Engine was pretty tight and didn't want to idle at first but loosened up during the day. Jetting was rich but still very ridable, it never loaded up or spuddered. I'll play with the stock needle before switching to anything dramatic. Bike starts right up and I really like the choke on the handlebars, I was really impressed with the lack of vibration felt through the stock bars. Engine is super smooth. Maguara clutch is super easy to pull and I really like the engagement, I'll be holding off on a rekluse. Bike feels super light compared to the Beta, I haven't weighed it but it feels lighter. It has nice lift handles under the rear fender on both sides. At 6' tall the stock bars are too low for me but I'll be putting a sub mount damper on so it will raise them to the correct level for me. I'd say their for someone 5-10" or so. The engine is deceptively fast even in it's rich state with a strong mid range pull and it wants to go, so I rode it like I stole it all day. It was hesitant to pull up top as it took some coaxing because of the richness, but you don't need to ride it up there. Bottom thru the upper mid is all you need to really scoot. It also feels so flickable it's a blast in the corners. The stock fork springs are just a little too soft for me at 190lbs. When I'm standing I'm pushing the forks into the middle of the stroke and I'm getting a bit of deflection in the rocks but nothing serious, although I know it can be better. Rear is still stiff but sucks up the big hit and tracks straight. Brakes are fantastic and very progressive, just like the Beta, since they are the same. It is the best shifting bike I've ever owned, bar none. There is no comparison to any other bike as far as shifting goes IMHO. So I put 36 miles on it today and I'll consider it broken in now. I'll post any jetting changes I make.