Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 AM

It appears that the SC has more circuits that help it with the 'extra' compensation. I had a Lectron back in the late 70s and loved it. The metering rod on the 'new' generation Lectrons is vastly superior to what was available in the 70s. A rod can be ground that is similar to fuel mapping on fuel injection thanks to computer grinding techniques. The Lectrons appears to be 'simpler' than the SC while still doing all or most of the the same functions. + Lectron has been around for 30 years. You are right about "where have they been" though, the drag racers got wind a long time ago about the simplicity of the Lectron and kind of took over the Lectron market, as far as temperature and altitude compensation, check the snowmobile guys, they are running the same Lectron at the winter drags and the summer grass drags.... The SC is the bomb diggety but I don't think the Lectron is a bad choice either Just my .02 worth

2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro

Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

How strong is that plastic float bowl?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM

I don't know yet, but it seems to be the preferred bowl. They have an option to get a billet one if you want.

http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/products/parts-1.html
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM

I think that they are both good. The SC just has a little more smarts designed in. If a cast version was not available for a reasonable price I would not spend twice that on the billet. I make it a point to understand how something works, and decide if its worth it before spending the $$.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM

i'm in for one of the 2,either Lectron or the cast SC, wichever is sooner available at a reasonable price (+ reasonable shipping price!!) shipped to Europe.
i like a clean running 2 stroke, and it's got a better fuel economy too, so it's a winner for me, extra power/smoothness throughout the entire revs is yummie

ciao, Hannes.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM

I had a chance to put about 50 minutes of test time on it today. First off we're going through a January thaw, so the conditions consisted of slop, snow, and slop over frozen ground. Good times!

For starters it starts. Yaa! It took a few kicks to start it the first time because I thought I had the choke engaged but it wasn't. After that it started first kick whether it was in gear or not. That's a relief. It should be good for HS starts.

The idle was set high from the factory, but that was about a 5 second fix that didn't require any tools. It idles very smooooth.

The top end is way stronger than its been in the past. Before getting this carb I decided to buy a Turbine Core 2 to see if that would help the top end, but it isn't needed now. I'm glad the trade with twowheels for a Turbine Core 2 fell through. I don't think I'll get gobbled up in the open fields any more! It's even more impressive because Kevin told me that he purposely set the power jet rich, and that I would need to lean it out some. I guess that means it can get even better than it is because I never touched the power jet.

The mid is quite stellar also with no transition from mid to top. Just a strong pull all the way through. My front end is definitely lighter now even in the slop today.

The bottom end has very good torque, but I'm looking forward to testing it in better conditions. The only thing I noticed is that when at idle and blipping the throttle it could have a tad more spunk, but it never stumbled. Maybe it was spinning out a little? Actually it was very predictable and gives very good low end throttle control. I slowed to a very slow crawl and let the bike idle while in second gear and it ran for quite awhile before it finally died. I thought it was pretty impressive.

Even though I was happy with the way it ran I decided to adjust the metering rod a couple of times to feel the difference. The metering rod only effects mid and bottom end. I leaned it out a 1/4 of a turn to start with, and I could definitely tell a difference it was a little weaker on bottom and had a little hit in the mid range. Didn't like it....too lean. I adjusted it richer than stock next, and it ran very good again, but I can't say that it was any better than how it came from the factory. I think they had it dialed in to a gnats ass. I'm going to switch back to the stock setting before the next ride. The cool thing is I may never have to adjust it again. It took me about 15 minutes the first time since I had to read the instructions. The second time I would've had it done in about 5 minutes if only I could have hit the hole with the metering rod. I need more practice. Once I figured out what to do it was wham bam thank you mam, done.

I'm very pleased with my purchase thus far. It's too soon to verify improved fuel mileage, but it's accomplishing everything else that I wanted out of it so far. Smooth, strong, controllable power, and it fits my bike better than the stock carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1282.JPG (110.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM

Glad you like the Lectron as from what I've read it's a very good product. I just got my SmartCarb back for letting a CH member test it. I'm not sure what is different on Kelly's bike's throttle cable but hooking it back up to my bike only took a few minutes and I was up and ripping! I'm sure you like me won't miss playing with jets, needles, an air/fuel screws . Congrats.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
Glad you like the Lectron as from what I've read it's a very good product. I just got my SmartCarb back for letting a CH member test it. I'm not sure what is different on Kelly's bike's throttle cable but hooking it back up to my bike only took a few minutes and I was up and ripping! I'm sure you like me won't miss playing with jets, needles, an air/fuel screws . Congrats.
It sounds like they are both very good products. Thanks for being one of the first to jump on the bandwagon for the metering rod carbs.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM

I forgot to mention that all of the testing I did was with fuel that is two months old.

I set the metering rod back to stock, and even on a dirty bike it only took about 10 minutes.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

I'm liking what I'm hearing! Come on SC!! May may may!